Bulbs changed to LEDs - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 108
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-18, 05:33 PM   #1

Default Bulbs changed to LEDs

Did some changes today as I'm not too keen on magnolia bulbs...changed to LEDs....

NB: See update for boot and front courtesy light. Post #20 on page 2. The new LEDs do not have any of the slight 'blue-ish' tinge that shows in these photos of the interior (although that is less noticeable to the naked eye).

Rear Number plate: I also used a different type of LED in the number plate lights: see post #21 on page 3 for info.

Boot light now LED:

Rear Number plate lights now LEDs: NB:Excessive red on rear of car caused by tail lights reflecting off the white interior of my garage door.

Front courtesy light now LED (very bright and white):

I'm also looking at doing the rear brake lights/rear side lights/fog light/reversing light/turn indicators......trouble is I don't really fancy pulling the trim etc apart just yet....probably will though....maybe later....

PS: ...Oh...nearly forgot the high (third) brake light. I tested 4 LEDs in there today and they were fine but they were white LEDs and you must put a matching colour LED behind a coloured lens....need to order 4 Red LEDs.....

...may also look to see whether Philips do a WhiteVision bulb for the headlights.......

PPS: Incidently, I used non-canbus LEDs in these locations as they do not have built-in resistors and run a little cooler but CanBus compatible LEDs will most certainly be required in the turn indicators to avoid any hyper-flashing....and possibly in the brake, rear side/position to avoid a 'bulb out' warning.

PPPS:...as I may have mentioned on other posts any changes you make are your choice to do as I can only comment on my own experience.

NB: See update for boot and front courtesy light. Post #20 on page 2. The new LEDs do not have any of the slight 'blue-ish' tinge that shows in these photos of the interior (although that is less noticeable to the naked eye).

Rear Number plate: I also used a different type of LED in the number plate lights: see post #21 on page 3 for info.

Attached Thumbnails
20181004_175543.jpg   20181004_175359.jpg   20181004_175331.jpg  

Last edited by allan40alt; 02-06-19 at 08:34 AM. Reason: added PPPS...and NB:
allan40alt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-18, 09:46 PM   #2

You don't have to put a coloured LED behind a coloured lens. When you think about it the bulb is white.
But you do get a more intense colour with a coloured LED.
Old 04-10-18, 10:20 PM   #3

Here's a post from my 308 bulb to LED thread which I think demonstrates the reason why you need a coloured LED behind a coloured lens; in addition I have already tested my lens but with white LEDs and the result was very poor as I expected. I just wanted to test to ensure the Non-CanBus compatible type worked ok.

Quote from my 308 Post:

You can install any colour LED behind a clear or opaque lens. Choose a colour suitable for purpose. i.e. Amber for turn indicators etc. Interior footwells can be white or a colour of your choice; just ensure they are dimmable if your version has the same function as my Allure.

Coloured lens' should have a matching coloured LED. i.e. Red lens = red LED; Amber lens = amber LED.

A white LED behind a coloured lens 'dilutes' the colour and is not as bright. This because a red lens will allow the red wavelength of the spectrum through and block the others, and there is very little of the red spectrum in a white LED.

PS: I found this example which I feel demonstrates this quite clearly:

NB: The colour choice should be appropriate according to the laws in the Country you are driving.

Attached Thumbnails
capture-6.jpg  

Last edited by allan40alt; 03-11-18 at 02:12 PM.

Old 06-10-18, 09:03 AM   #4

Default Accessing high(third) brake light bulbs

Just in case anyone needs to replace a blown bulb or change to LEDs I have taken some photos to show how to get to them.

It is fiddly but not difficult and on no account should you use any force.

First you need to open the boot and remove the black cover. Prise from one side first with a trim removal tool:

The next couple of photos show the little plastic clips that need pressing towards the centre slightly NO FORCE IS NEEDED! (Incidently I had to use an old mirror to get these shots):

It is fiddly to get the bulb holder bar back** so have a little patience and don't force anything!!

**TIP: After you release the clips have a little practice relocating the bulb bar before you fully get it out through the access opening to change to LEDs/replace blown bulbs.

See next post........

Attached Thumbnails
20181006_090233.jpg   20181006_090520_li.jpg   20181006_090634_li.jpg  

Last edited by allan40alt; 03-11-18 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-10-18, 09:08 AM   #5

...the next photo shows the bulb holder gently removed:

...the next photo, unplugged.... if you need to...but you should not need to do this...make sure you refit the plug correctly:

Hope that's been of help.

Al.

PS: TIP: Test leds/ bulbs before refitting bulb bar just in case you need to re-seat or turn LEDs ... you can just press the brake pedal...no need to start the car...open the door and just put your leg in whilst standing outside looking backwards....

Attached Thumbnails
20181006_090743.jpg   20181006_091414.jpg  

Last edited by allan40alt; 03-11-18 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-10-18, 11:37 AM   #6

Decided to try these for the high/third brake light:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extremely-1...ds=t10+led+red

There's not much room in the fitting so size is important.

These are also non-canbus so there's less heat created.

NB: If you order any then check the 5% extra discount before adding to basket, this is applied at checkout.

Extra reason is that LEDs react slightly faster than bulbs. It can make the difference of around 6 feet stopping for following vehicles in an emergency and I'd rather have a lorry stopping 6 inches off my rear boot door as opposed to travelling 5' 6" through it !!
Old 06-10-18, 12:10 PM   #7

If you use a warm white LED, it should work behind a red lens the same as a bulb, but a cool white would not as the blue won't go through red.
You are, of course, always better using the same colour LED.
Old 06-10-18, 12:32 PM   #8

Hi Brian, LEDs produce light very differently to bulbs. They are manufactured to produce a specific colour although you can get them with a separate controller to change the colour but they would need to be behind a clear lens for the changing wavelengths to be seen correctly.

The lens' in our cars are really designed for bulbs and I'm pretty sure you will get a poor brightness and dull colour with anything other than a red LED behind a red lens due to the wavelength passing through. It gets 'diluted'.

A red LED behind a red lens will allow the colour of the spectrum to pass through together with the bonus of more brightness.

I'll be doing a couple of before and after photos when I change them over. Fingers crossed they'll fit!

Al.

PS: Bonus points are that LEDs react faster than bulbs and it will give a fraction more warning to following traffic. They will also be brighter. They consume less power. The ones I've just ordered consume 1.7W x 4= 6,8W total as against the standard bulb 5W x 4= 20W. That's not going to save a lot overall in the brake light but when you add all the areas you can install LEDs it can save unnecessary drain on the battery. The down side is that decent quality LEDs are a little expensive (I would not consider the cheaper ones as they often do not perform very well or last very long).

Last edited by allan40alt; 06-10-18 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-10-18, 01:03 PM   #9

You can see in this video how an LED achieves full brightness instantly compared to a standard bulb:

PS: The LED being demonstrated here is not the same fitting as used in the 108...it's purely to compare a bulb and LED. Please refer to your handbook for your vehicles correct fitting.

Last edited by allan40alt; 06-10-18 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-10-18, 12:34 PM   #10

LEDs from Amazon arrived and fitted. What a difference to the high brake light...amazing improvement:

This is the oem bulbs:

...and this is the new red LEDs:

Changing over took just a few minutes to do and the improvement is just incredible.

They are a direct comparison before/after reflected onto my garage door interior. you need to see them really with the naked eye for the true improvement. Very pleased.

Al.

Attached Thumbnails
20181007_131350-2-.jpg   20181007_130545-2-.jpg  

Last edited by allan40alt; 03-11-18 at 02:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in