Resurrecting a 2010 107 - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 107
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-12-14, 12:45 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default Resurrecting a 2010 107

I've owned a Peugeot 107 2010 from new, and I've put all 60,000 miles on it up until May last year when the clutch started to fail. I parked it with every intention of fixing the clutch as at the time I was very low on cash. I declared the car as off the road and parked it on my mom's drive since then. I've driven it once in the interim to keep it going but I've worked away a lot and well I'm blessed with a sister who won't do sh*t for me even if I ask nicely, so it's been moved once in 12ish months.

It's now December 2014 and I've FINALLY got the money to fix the clutch. However I gave it a look around, and these are my concerns:

The battery has completely gone. Tried jump starting it and it just wouldn't come on. No lights on the dashboard, absolutely dead. A new battery should fix this.

When the car was parked it was getting to the point where it needed new front brake discs and pads. Now I'm sure you can imagine the discs are rusted completely. As I was going to change these anyway it's not an issue, but I'm concerned about the callipers being stuck. What's the best way to fix this? I can drive it off? I've read somewhere where it says take the calliper off and put a block of wood in between it and pump the brake. When the pistons are out to then clean them with sandpaper and brake cleaner. But I don't want to break the brakes so I'd like some proper advice on this.

Also, as the engine has been cold for a while, is there anything special I should do with the engine before starting it? Again, read somewhere to remove the plugs and pour a teaspoon of oil in before starting it, but I don't want to knacker the car.

While I have money to fix the clutch, get an MOT, service it and change the brakes, I can't stretch to a mechanic. I've changed the brakes already and I serviced the car regularly, full services at 10,000 miles, doing the last 4 services so I think I'm fairly competent with the tasks described above. So any practical advice on this would be amazing!!!!
mickburkesnr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-12-14, 06:43 PM   #2

I am no expert but if I was in your shoes, I would change the engine oil (using 0w-30 for quick good lubrication) and filter, change the battery (charge it before mounting it). Then I would try to start the engine. If the engine starts and runs, half your worry is over. Next step would be to change the brake disc and pads. While doing that you can check if the sliders are still good and well lubricated. You may have to change the brake fluid and bleed the brakes(if more than two years since you changed it last). At that point you will notice if your brake pistons are working or not. Finally, I would change the clutch (this bit I would leave to a mechanic)
raj55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24-12-14, 09:03 AM   #3
Inactive User

Thanks for the answer, more or less reinforces what I thought.

However, isn't it better to run the engine before changing the oil so that I get all of it out? I guess at this point it doesn't really matter if there is some old oil knocking about as long as it does it's job.

I'm going to give this a crack, probably the day after Boxing Day and report back.
mickburkesnr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 24-12-14, 11:03 AM   #4

warm oil runs well and drains out. That is correct but if there are deposits/sediments in that oil, do I want to push it around the engine? I would let old oil drain over night and replace filter and fill new oil.
raj55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in