passenger side brake light fault - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 107
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-06-17, 01:17 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default passenger side brake light fault

Hey

Just wondering if anyone could help, i have a problem with just the passengers side brake light, iv changed both the bulbs. The drivers side is fine so im presuming its nothing to do with a fuse, and the indicator works on the passengers side it is just the brake light. Iv taken the drivers side taillight box off that i know is working and connected that to the passengers side and still nothing. Anyone have any potential solutions. Sorry if thats waffling, any help is appreciated.

Cheers
Jordan
jords88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-06-17, 04:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jords88 View Post
Hey

Just wondering if anyone could help, i have a problem with just the passengers side brake light, iv changed both the bulbs. The drivers side is fine so im presuming its nothing to do with a fuse, and the indicator works on the passengers side it is just the brake light. Iv taken the drivers side taillight box off that i know is working and connected that to the passengers side and still nothing. Anyone have any potential solutions. Sorry if thats waffling, any help is appreciated.

Cheers
Jordan
Since you're feeding known good power/signal from the other side, problem must be downstream, in the housing/bulb carrier. Since other lights in the housing works, unlikely to be a ground issue outside the housing...

Checked that the bulb actually makes contact with the terminal in the socket? typically the center/bottom terminal can be an issue. Not sure how the bulb carrier is designed, but verify unbroken connection from the socket terminals (ring and center/bottom [assuming a Ba15 style socket]) to the pins in the connector for ground and the brake light wire.
Old 23-06-17, 12:44 PM   #3
Inactive User

Thanks for the reply, originally i only put the working (drivers side) light unit onto the passengers side connection and it was the same problem, the brake light didnt light up but everything else worked.

iv now put the passenger side whole unit onto the good power source and when i press the brake the indicator lights ups and when i indicate the brake light flashes, im guessing this means the brake unit and bulbs within all work and light up, guessing must be a problem with the connection on the passengers side?

Old 23-06-17, 03:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, originally i only put the working (drivers side) light unit onto the passengers side connection and it was the same problem, the brake light didnt light up but everything else worked.

iv now put the passenger side whole unit onto the good power source and when i press the brake the indicator lights ups and when i indicate the brake light flashes, im guessing this means the brake unit and bulbs within all work and light up, guessing must be a problem with the connection on the passengers side?
Ah, OK, that's not what I figured you'd done.

"working (drivers side) light unit onto the passengers side connection and it was the same problem, the brake light didnt light up but everything else worked"

This would indicate a problem 'upstream, before the light cluster - ie from BSI to the loom connector at the housing.

"iv now put the passenger side whole unit onto the good power source and when i press the brake the indicator lights ups and when i indicate the brake light flashes"

This means the interior of the housing is OK (and looks like the indicator and brake connections are reversed between left and right side), again pointing upstream.

First point to probe with a meter would be the backside of the loom connector (wire side) - if you get +12V othere it would be that the contact element in the connector block doesn't make contact with the contact element on the housing, if not there's a break somewhere further upstream or fault internal to the BSI...
At this point I'd probably go to the output of the BSI and see if the signal is present there - yes/no answer to that means looking at the wiring all the way, or inside the BSI.
Old 26-06-17, 01:24 PM   #5
Inactive User

Thanks again, i had my friend test as you suggested, he got a reading of +10 v with the engine switched off which should be enough he thought?
Old 26-06-17, 03:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks again, i had my friend test as you suggested, he got a reading of +10 v with the engine switched off which should be enough he thought?
That is sort of lowish, depending...
Where was the measurement taken? Light housing plug or/and BSI?
Is that with the plug connected to the housing with bulb inside, or loose/ unplugged from the housing?

If it's connected, then 10V at the plug should light up the bulb, if not maybe at full/normal brightness. I'll assume the fault is still present and the bulb didn't light up?

If unplugged, and only he meter as a load, that could be a high resistance fault upstream, so that the power is dropped at the fault instead of across the bulb.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in