Engine turns over but will not start. - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 107
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By chopper1192
  • 1 Post By manderley3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-13, 08:04 PM   #1
Inactive User

Question Engine turns over but will not start.

I have a Peugeot 107 (2006) It was filled up with petrol (convinced is petrol, smells like petrol and feels like petrol) and broke down a couple of miles down the road. The car was towed home as it would not start after it stopped. The car has not started from this time. I replaced the plugs and air filter, the plugs were very wet and looking down at the top of the pistons they were wet also. The replacement of plugs etc made no difference, car still not start. I purchased some scanning software to put on the laptop and have plugged this into the car hoping to find what the problem is but I could not see that there were any problems reported. May be the engine has to be running to indicate a fault on these scanners but as the engine will not start I am left wondering what the problem may be. Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Added:

The engine turns over but does not start.

On inspection after fitting the new plugs and trying to start the car , the new plugs were soaking wet also.
manderley3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-13, 09:49 PM   #2
chopper1192

Yeah, a total breakdown is very rare on a bug, practically unheard of.

No spark, scanning software not pickkng owt up... ECU? You know, engine breakdowns are are so rare on these I don't even know what it has in the way of crankshaft sensors etc..
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-13, 10:02 PM   #3
Inactive User

Default Thanks

I'll check for a spark tomorrow and try to make some more headway with the scanner.

Old 04-07-13, 10:18 PM   #4
Inactive User

Default Thanks Chopper

It does have a crank sensor, which I was thinking it could be possibly that (I have not kept up to date with all the new tech, engine monitor sensors so feel I am flying blind).
Old 05-07-13, 09:24 AM   #5
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidireland View Post
Best get a proper peugeot diagnostic. Its the only way to go. What service history has the car? Just wondering.if the engine was rattling before it wouldn't start which would point me towards a slack timing chain (again pretty much unheard of. But servicing dependent) The slack chain causes no cam/crank sync.
Thanks David. I will look into these points today. The engine wasn't rattling just lost power and then stopped at a junction and would not start. The engine has not caused any problems previously. Service history: I change the oil, filters and plugs etc when due.
Old 06-07-13, 09:53 PM   #6
Inactive User

Remove the fuel you have in there and fill it with two gallons of fresh fuel and make sure the fuel lines are clear of the old fuel. Do not make an assumption that the fuel is good. Leave the spark plugs out over night to allow the bores to dry slightly.
MadV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-13, 06:58 PM   #7
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadV View Post
Remove the fuel you have in there and fill it with two gallons of fresh fuel and make sure the fuel lines are clear of the old fuel. Do not make an assumption that the fuel is good. Leave the spark plugs out over night to allow the bores to dry slightly.
Thanks for the reply, drained the fuel out and cleared the pipes through, left the plugs out so to dry out on top of the pistons. But no different it still does not start or attempt to fire up. The engine is getting fuel and the plugs are sparking, the crank and cam sensors are registering on a multi meter showing that they are working.
Old 08-07-13, 07:38 AM   #8
chopper1192

You have spark (although spark timing is another matter entirely)

You have fuel.

Do you have compression? Check number 3 on the list of basics before squirelling away looking for something obscure.
MadV and davidireland like this.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 20-07-13, 09:17 AM   #9
Inactive User

Red face Thanks to all for help.

Thanks to every one for the help and information provided.
It turned out that there was some diesel mixed in with the petrol in the fuel tank.
Old 20-07-13, 12:43 PM   #10
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidireland View Post
Strange. Thought you drained it out. We all knew it wasnt mechanical. They dont give trouble.
Sent from my GT-S5690
Did drain the tank, blew through the pipes. Did not flush out the injectors ect. so I obviously did not flush it through good enough. Thanks again.
chopper1192 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in