Clutch problem - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 107
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-12, 07:15 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default Clutch problem

Hi all
i have a 2007 107 Sport.
Wife has reported its getting hard to engage gears, but ive also noticed a rattling/ knocking noise when the clutch is depressed (fairly loud rotating noise only when the clutch is depressed).

Is this likely to be a cluch/ release bearing issue?

The car has only done 30, 000 miles?

any help gratefully received

Thanks

Gareth
cideredup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-12, 08:57 PM   #2
chopper1192

The older clutches wee fine, but are intolerant of abuse and anything less than a 100% technique.

You almost certainly will need a new clutch. Fit the 190mm clutch from the later cars, much more durable and a straight swap. The shop on the c1oc site sells a well regarded and reasonably priced clutch.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-12, 09:52 AM   #3
Inactive User

Default replacement clutch

Hi thanks very much for that
is this the correct item?
DELETED
appreciate your help
thanks again
Gareth

Last edited by bettyswollocks; 06-01-13 at 09:07 AM.
cideredup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-12, 05:11 PM   #4
chopper1192

Yup, that's the one. The kit and the seller both have a good rep.
Old 18-11-12, 11:59 PM   #5
Inactive User

Default Peugeot 107 Common Clutch Problem

Hello,

Just letting you know that my wife has just found out that her clutch has gone. When I took it to my mechanic, he had a look at the car mileage to find that the car had only done less than 13K, he was stunned!!. And asked me why we bought a Peugeot??. Well it's not really a Peugeot, as its built by toyota, the company who thrive themselves being reliable.

After researching the internet there seems to be an abundance of cases that show the clutch going between 10k-20k and peugeot dealers charging on average 600-950 to replace the clutch and oil.

The quote I got from a non dealer is 120-160 for the parts and 200 for the labour for 4-5 hours of work. = 360-400.

Not only is this a common problem for the Peugeot 107 but they seem to want an excessive amount to solve the problem that they know is down to the design of the car. The problem that will be recurring every 10-20k cycle. These cars are suppose to be urban friendly and save you money. But every 18-24months you will have to pay an extra 600-950 to run? Not economical.

If Peugeot want to maintain themselves as a value brand and survive an already negative brand association. These things need to be addressed.

I will be taking the car to my local Peugeot dealer in Oldham (RRG) on Spencer Street
Off Manchester Road.

Let's see what the evaluation and quote is, in the morning. Oh and by the way, I have reported this to watchdog. Anyone else who suffers this concurring problem, do something about it, get your voice heard. Report this to Watchdog BBC - Watchdog - Send your story.
peterpanel22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19-11-12, 10:37 AM   #6
chopper1192

A) it's not made by Toyota. It's made by a company called TCPA in the Czech Republic. This firm is a company in its own right, operationally independent of but co-owned by PSA, Toyota, and my Dads finance firm. Which chump told you they were made by Toyota? And who told you Toyota were reliable? They have one of the worst records in the entire world for Safety related recalls, some if which have arisen as a result of people losing their lives while travelling in Toyota products. Designed in France, by an Italian man, built in the Czech Republic and fitted with a Daihatsu designed engine that was manufactured in Poland. As a general rule the 107 is quite reliable, with several surveys having but joint top of its class with its cousins, the the few parts that do tend to cause issues almost all originate from the Toyota parts bin.

B) the clutch design was revamped almost 5 years ago now.

C) we already know there is little wrong with the clutch, but their capacity for withstanding anything other than a perfect technique is low. It's less than stellar drivers killing them.

D) what is actually wrong with your clutch? You make all sorts of hysterical claims yet haven't identified to us what the fault is. On a low mileage car items such as the cover and release bearing will be more prone to failure due to not getting thorough enough heat cycles to regularly dry off the condensation that will inevitably form on a bare steel surface. A car driven properly and regularly is a much better reliability bet than a low miler, unłess it is stored in a properly managed environment (like my show 107 is).

E). Adjustment is crucial. If the correct 17 to 24mm free play is maintained the clutch will last much like any other. On what date did you last check it?

F) This version ceased production nigh on 5 years ago and was replaced in early 2008 by a new version, outwardly similar but with much detail change, including a revised 190mm clutch. Do you think Watchdog can influence a model that ceased half a decade ago?

G). A chap I know in the club I co-run (the largest Citybug club in the World) has just retired his 2006 example at a whisker under 150k miles. This is the car he used to run his driving school and its still on its original clutch. Should I get him to contact Watchdog as well?

So, what exactly went wrong with your clutch? When the old one is out post a picture of the remains and that'll speak a thousand words, im sure.

PS, you don't state the age of the car so all the above is based on the presumption it's a phase I model. Phase II (facelift onwards) have a different clutch, the same spec as the heavier Yaris. There are no reported recurring issues with this version so *if* this is the version you have then your mechanic has told you an untruth as this get soon is unaffected. It is also reliable in the Yaris as well. If this is your model then it is very much a rare occurance, and would be genuinely interested about hearing the detail of the problem.

Last edited by chopper1192; 19-11-12 at 03:53 PM.
Old 19-11-12, 08:26 PM   #7

Thank you Chopper for your excellent information. I have a 2008 Aygo with MMT gear box and have been terrified that my clutch may give way any time, just by reading various posts on this and other C1 and Aygo forums. Many (in other forums) have said that the new clutch (190mm) came with the 2009 model but Chopper you suggests that it came allready on the 2008 year models. My car was bulit on June 2008. How do I find out what sort of clutch that I have got in my car? Is there a definite serial number or some other way that I could find that out?

The car has been going fine since we bought it one year ago from the Toyota dealer. It has the known idiosnycrasies of MMT gear box that we are getting used to by now (but it does surprise us now and then) and even have changed the old water pump under used car warranty. My question is should I be worried about the clutch?
raj55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19-11-12, 08:50 PM   #8
chopper1192

The clutch isn't really a worry on the MMT. Only downside is it can only be 'adjusted' on the dealer computer.

2 ways to tell - you could PM me you full VIN, or you could look at your car - if its a facelift model it has the later clutch.

Sorry, did have my years caught in my Zip. It was announced in Autumn 2008, the first cars arrived her in February 2009, so it seems pretty certain you'll have the 180mm unit.

Good news its that the gearchange is robotised on your car, so there's little opportunity for you to abuse it, unless you're not lifting up off the gas a little on the upchanges in Tiptronic mode It's not an issue that generally affects the MMTs, that tend to suffer with software or ECU glitches, but even then not all that often in the grand scheme of things.
Old 22-11-12, 07:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper1192 View Post
Good news its that the gearchange is robotised on your car, so there's little opportunity for you to abuse it, unless you're not lifting up off the gas a little on the upchanges in Tiptronic mode .
Well it is not that easy anticipating the gear change and then lifting off your foot in fraction of a second! BUT easing your foot off as you accelerate to facilitate the gear change to happen earlier is certainly possible and seems to be doable in most cases. Sometimes it refuses to obey though! Manual shift (M+ and M-) with foot off the accelerator (hand foot coordination) is possible and more exciting. The car is more obedient in the manual mode.
raj55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-13, 09:03 AM   #10
Banned

Advertising a rival owners club is NOT COOL.
You have been reported to the admins and ill keep an eye on your posts from now on.

"THIS ISN'T OPEN FOR DISCUSSION".

Centy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in