Buying A 107...But Now Worried... - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 107
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-12-12, 04:28 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Buying A 107...But Now Worried...

Hi chaps and chapettes!

My 2001 Fiat Seicento finally gave up the ghost this week (needs a new head gasket and coil pack, quoted 300) so I thought it was about time I bought something a little newer.

After a search around the likes of Autotrader, I've found a lovely little 2007 107 sport model (it was prettier, if a little more expensive than the standard) and have put a deposit down (with the proviso the dealership iron out one or two cosmetic niggles, give it a service and produce a service history).

However, in doing some further research in my 'excited to get the car' stage I'm concerned about the clutch.

It didn't hit me yesterday on the test drive, but thinking about it I couldn't really feel a bite. I moved off fine at the start, as well as moving off from lights, but there wasn't a noticeable bite such as the one I've been used to in my Seicento. I also felt that going into first for the first time was a little stiff, had to crunch it in with the clutch depressed fully.

Now, it could just be me being paranoid after reading so many negative comments about the clutch issues - but do the above issues sound like it's something I need to bring up with the garage as an additional concern to sort?

Petrified now, as it's only my second car (have only been driving three years, almost four) and I don't want to fork out 3200 (I also stupidly took out a 6 month warranty for 144 on top of that...I'll learn...) for the car plus 300-500 for a new clutch every couple of years!
Kaje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-12-12, 04:38 PM   #2

Hi,
I have a Aygo 2008 MMT gear box with the so called old dodgy clutch, but it has been running fine in both auto and manual mode for the past year since we have had it. I was at the toyota recently for service and asked the guy if they had changed a clutch in these cars and his reply was, "changed a lot of water pumps but not a single clutch so far" So it looks like the forums are represented by people who have had clutch problem and the guys without problem are not there to voice, so it may be a case of overrepresentation. There is a way of adjusting these clutches so that they hold better and may be you should look in to that. The safest bet was to choose a car that was built after 2009 so that you have the better newer clutch and the better newer water pump. Can't you change it at the dealer?
raj55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16-12-12, 04:49 PM   #3
Inactive User

Change the car? They don't have any other 107s and I'm working to a budget - I can't afford the asking prices for 09+ models! I'm wondering if it's worth me calling the dealership tomorrow and mentioning my concern, though the papers have been signed and deposit paid.

Old 16-12-12, 06:51 PM   #4
chopper1192

You're paying for a 6 month warranty they have to provide by law?

Frequently Asked Questions | Honest John

I'd be on the blower to trading standards about that.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16-12-12, 07:00 PM   #5
Inactive User

I didn't think they had to provide a warranty at all by law? They have six months 'burden of proof' to prove that the car was satisfactory at the time of sale should an issue arise, but it's not a warranty as such.

If the car was sound when it left the dealership, then the latter doesn't have to pay anything by law if they can prove such - whereas a warranty does cover for issues that arise once the car has left the dealership.

E.G. if I drive the car for a few weeks and <insert engine part here> packs in because it's rusted through, they would have to pay as it wasn't satisfactory at the time of purchase as rust wouldn't appear within a few weeks. But should I drive the car off the lot and the electrics fail but it couldn't be traced back to any issues prior to sale, they don't have to pay up and the warranty kicks in.

That's how I understand it, anyway!
Old 16-12-12, 07:09 PM   #6
Inactive User

Though looking at that link a little more, it appears you're right.

Reading the warranty information, it appears that the warranty company state in their T&Cs that if I cancel I won't receive a refund. If it worth me calling the dealership (not only to check the clutch) but also to see if I can cancel the warranty? Do I have any right to do that, and would it affect the work they're carrying out on the car for me (i.e. I don't want to find they're doing a worse job because I've decided not to take out a product!).

Here's the warranty T&Cs...doesn't look promising judging by the cancellation section...

http://www.worldofwarranty.com/downl...r_outlines.pdf

Last edited by Kaje; 16-12-12 at 07:12 PM.
Old 16-12-12, 08:10 PM   #7
chopper1192

The legal presumption is tha any fault was present OR DEVELOPING at the time of sale, so in your scenario the dealer is still obligated to repair it.
Old 16-12-12, 08:25 PM   #8
Inactive User

Which is all well and good, but the further issue is that I've already agreed to take out the warranty - which is included on the breakdown of sale - and the T&Cs on the warranty state there would be no reimbursement on cancellation.

If the dealer won't agree to cancel the warranty and remove that amount from the outstanding purchase amount, I've essentially wasted 144.
Old 16-12-12, 08:34 PM   #9
chopper1192

Pay for an independent AA or RAC inspection if you want peace of mind.

There, job do done
Old 16-12-12, 09:03 PM   #10
Inactive User

I'm not convinced they'd be happy to refund the deposit should I arrange an AA/RAC inspection and they find any issues. Besides, aren't they a little expensive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in