107 Petrol Starts and dies after appprox 2 seconds - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 107
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-17, 08:44 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 107 Petrol Starts and dies after appprox 2 seconds

Hi - first post (other than an intro) will attempt to match forum etiquette and provide details.

Car 2006 107 Petrol Urban 5 door, 50,000 miles, full service history (mainly independent garages). Last ran about 3 weeks ago, no issues. Car was jump started once about 12 months ago - no issues at all with running / starting / electrics until now.

Symptom: Starts easily, runs for approx 1 to seconds and stops, no response when you press the accelerator for the brief time it runs. If you try and start it again from the "run" key pos to "start" pos then it turns but won't fire again. Turn it to off, go through start again and it fires and dies. Battery had not run flat.

What have I tried so far.

Both keys - same problem

Battery is approx year old, seemed to be fully charged, but removed, charged over night and re-installed - same problem.

All fuses in the fuse box checked with a meter - no blown fuses found.

Fuel pump runs when you turn the key to "run" from off, you can hear it, and I have pulled the fuel line from the engine, and tried to start the car - fuel flowed out of the line, so, pump is running, and fuel is making it as far as the engine end of the fuel line.

Fuel gauge shows about 2/3rd of a tank - that tallies with what I remember should be in there.

Have removed the fuel cap (to make sure there wasn't a vacuum build up) - 1st time I did that I got a hiss, think thats a indicator of "normal" behaviour.

I used a generic code reader (yes I know - lexia/diagbox setup on order, but I had the generic reader) - nothing shown in DTC codes.

I have checked all the connectors I can see for sensors, injectors, coil packs - where i could pull the plugs I have done so to look for corrosion. Nothing found.

I obtained 2nd hand crank and cam sensors (not known good but sold as working and I have no reason to believe they were faulty) , swapped out cam sensor, no change. Replaced original, replaced crank sensor, no change, replaced original.

Found this forum - went through the search, came up with checking the key in ignition, open the door, does it bleep test with one of the keys (other one isn't at home at the moment) - car does NOT bleep when the door is opened. Other than that I can't find something to match these symptoms - apologies if I have failed the standard noob test for search 1st.........

Have not done BSI reset - (key that isn't home is the full remote one - so will wait to do that) - but that key does unlock the doors remotely.

So - my current thinking is car has "lost" it's programming for keys, no idea why that might have happened but until I get the diagbox s/ware up and running pretty stuck at what to try next.

General internet search comes back with some suggestions, some wild some plausible - but nothing concrete.

Advice, pointers, other things to check all welcomed - especially when i get the diagbox up and running (hopefully arriving tomorrow) would be good to get some pointers on where to start looking.

Think that covers it - thanks in advance.

Paul
Malarcy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-17, 08:58 PM   #2

Car would not start at all if the BSI had lost key information. The ECU is locked until a programmed key is present and will not fire the injectors if it is locked so that's probably not the issue. Easily checked when you get the right diagnostics.

I've not a lot of experience with petrol models so can't give advice from personal experience. Diagbox / PP2000 would likely show some pointer. Maybe you will have to wait or contact a member local to you for a diagnostic check. The following topics explain it all....

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...gnostic-28190/

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...01/#post459593

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-17, 09:10 PM   #3
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by storeman View Post
Car would not start at all if the BSI had lost key information. The ECU is locked until a programmed key is present and will not fire the injectors if it is locked so that's probably not the issue. Easily checked when you get the right diagnostics.

I've not a lot of experience with petrol models so can't give advice from personal experience. Diagbox / PP2000 would likely show some pointer. Maybe you will have to wait or contact a member local to you for a diagnostic check. The following topics explain it all....
Thanks for the response and good info on the ECU lock - I would expect the system to work as you describe, but read some suggestions that suggest "the 2secs running is how it works" - hopefully software/cables arrive tomorrow and I can get something more usable from the diags.

Will update this thread with anything I find.

Old 08-02-17, 11:06 PM   #4

This car is based on a Toyota aygo and is not a Peugeot set up

Check the connections for the immobiliser box that is located behind the bottom of the dash to the right of the steering wheel also open the box and check the chips on the pcb because if someone has done a key and soldered chip back on bad I have seen this on a 107
Old 09-02-17, 09:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme View Post

Check the connections for the immobiliser box that is located behind the bottom of the dash to the right of the steering wheel also open the box and check the chips on the pcb because if someone has done a key and soldered chip back on bad I have seen this on a 107
I stand corrected - never too old to learn something new

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-17, 12:49 PM   #6
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme View Post

Thanks - so the symptoms match an immobiliser issue in this case ? (the aygo/c1/107) - thats good to know. Will check it out next chance I get with the car.

Paul
Old 09-02-17, 01:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarcy View Post
Thanks - so the symptoms match an immobiliser issue in this case ? (the aygo/c1/107) - thats good to know. Will check it out next chance I get with the car.

Paul
yep its defo an immobilizer fault
Old 09-02-17, 01:27 PM   #8

if the immo box is faulty they are about 300 from dealers and come with 2 new keys coded to them, you then need planet to pair it to the vehicle and it takes about 1 hour to pair it

or you could send immo box to me and i can have a look at it for you
Old 09-02-17, 03:56 PM   #9
Inactive User

Default Car is running !

OK - progress (a lot of progress)

Based on the advice above I basically poked around everything I could feel that had wires attached behind the dash on the right hand side of the steering wheel - totally blind just felt around until I found cables, followed where I could until I found boxes or plugs.

Didn't feel anything "click" into place or find anything hanging lose - but - it now starts and runs happily, been through three start, run, stop cycles and while it was running poked around again just to see if I could dislodge anything - again, started and ran no issues.

So - it's a connection issue, to the immobiliser box under the dash.

It's my daughters car - so I am not happy with her driving it until I have had a better look at what I was poking around at - since I want to be sure that anything that is not quite connected properly doesn't choose a bad time to fall out again - so I will be looking at getting to the box and giving it a proper check.

Will post a close out to the thread with what I find when I check the connections properly, but for now, BIG thanks to the contributors to this thread - learned a lot in a short space of time.

Cheers all.
Old 09-02-17, 05:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarcy View Post
OK - progress (a lot of progress)

Based on the advice above I basically poked around everything I could feel that had wires attached behind the dash on the right hand side of the steering wheel - totally blind just felt around until I found cables, followed where I could until I found boxes or plugs.

Didn't feel anything "click" into place or find anything hanging lose - but - it now starts and runs happily, been through three start, run, stop cycles and while it was running poked around again just to see if I could dislodge anything - again, started and ran no issues.

So - it's a connection issue, to the immobiliser box under the dash.

It's my daughters car - so I am not happy with her driving it until I have had a better look at what I was poking around at - since I want to be sure that anything that is not quite connected properly doesn't choose a bad time to fall out again - so I will be looking at getting to the box and giving it a proper check.

Will post a close out to the thread with what I find when I check the connections properly, but for now, BIG thanks to the contributors to this thread - learned a lot in a short space of time.

Cheers all.
im a vehicle locksmith so its right down my street
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in