Should I buy back my 106? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 106
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-04-16, 09:33 AM   #1

Default Should I buy back my 106?

My 106 1.1 XN 1996 134k miles was very dear to me (family runaround for 20 years, lots of memories) but I decided to let my daughter-in-law trade it in as a so-called "scrappage" deal on a new Kia. She's got the Kia, it's very nice. However, my Pug's now been put in the local auction! So I have the chance to buy it back. But should I? The paintwork is faded and blotchy on one side of the car and on the hatchback door (due to an accident respray done 15 years ago which has deteriorated) but it's fine everywhere else, so that really needs to be re-done. Other than that, I think it needs a new sunroof seal as water gets into the footwell and it needs a new blower motor/resistor. It still drives very well and would pass an MOT today. I already have a 206 for my daily drive, so I don't need another car but I'm thinking maybe the 106 will soon be a classic and worth restoring. What should I do? Your thoughts appreciated!
gmonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-04-16, 10:52 AM   #2
Inactive User

I always ask myself two questions, Do I need it or do I just want it?
hussarman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-04-16, 11:07 AM   #3

Well, I definitely don't need it!

Old 15-04-16, 12:21 PM   #4

The biggest question you need to ask yourself is.....

Will I actually get round to fixing the faults, spending whatever is required to sort it out or will I end up letting it sit, never getting used and deteriorating day by day.

Lot's of people have bought project cars with the intention of bringing them back to life but the enthusiasm wore off quickly as the money flowed out and it took more of theor free time then they expected. Yes, the car may have some sentimental value right now but that could soon change.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-04-16, 03:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by storeman View Post
The biggest question you need to ask yourself is.....

Will I actually get round to fixing the faults, spending whatever is required to sort it out or will I end up letting it sit, never getting used and deteriorating day by day.

Lot's of people have bought project cars with the intention of bringing them back to life but the enthusiasm wore off quickly as the money flowed out and it took more of theor free time then they expected. Yes, the car may have some sentimental value right now but that could soon change.
Thanks for your advice - very wise I think!
Old 15-04-16, 03:27 PM   #6

I think its a more sentimental thing than anything else?
Lets face it,its a 20 year old possible money pit.You spend out,do all the work,then what? will it be of any use? who in your family would use it.
It could be a handy little run around but I don't think a Peugeot 106 XN will ever be considered a classic.
Mind you if you can buy it for less than 100,have somewhere to store and work on it why not.
Old Pug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-04-16, 03:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Pug View Post
I think its a more sentimental thing than anything else?
Lets face it,its a 20 year old possible money pit.You spend out,do all the work,then what? will it be of any use? who in your family would use it.
It could be a handy little run around but I don't think a Peugeot 106 XN will ever be considered a classic.
Mind you if you can buy it for less than 100,have somewhere to store and work on it why not.
You're right, it is a sentimental thing and I can't answer those questions. The auction's at 6pm, I might bid 50 ... but really I should probably grit my teeth and stay away! Thanks for your response. (Shame it's not a 504 Coupe)
Old 15-04-16, 05:10 PM   #8

hi...I thought the scrapage scheme was to 'scrap'cars that had the
allowance discount.....to keep old cars off the road..seems strange the cars at auction now?
noddy-hol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-04-16, 07:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddy-hol View Post
hi...I thought the scrapage scheme was to 'scrap'cars that had the
allowance discount.....to keep old cars off the road..seems strange the cars at auction now?
Can't say I've ever heard of the scrappage scheme so can't comment. Thing is, I've seen 20 year old cars in better condition than some 5 or 6 year old cars. If a car can pass the MOT then there is no real reason to get it off the road. Let's face it - all the classic cars are old cars but no-one is suggesting they be taken off the road

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-04-16, 09:50 PM   #10

Default f.y.i.

quote:The UK Vehicle scrappage scheme (also Vehicle discount scheme and Car Scrappage Scheme) is a vehicle scrappage scheme that was introduced in the 2009 United Kingdom Budget to encourage UK citizens to purchase a new car or van and scrap an old one that they have owned for more than 12 months. The scheme was extended in September 2009 and again in February 2010 and it finished at the end of March 2010. In February 2010 a separate Plug-in Car Grant to provide 5,000 towards the cost of electric vehicles was announced and it began in January 2011.
noddy-hol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in