Rear drums 106 - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 106
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-04-18, 10:26 PM   #1

Default Rear drums 106

Got one side off, decided to keep cranking the puller until the drum came off. I am going to do the same with the other side. I am not sure if it knackered the wheel cylinder but it was leaking. In the first photo, you can see there are no pins, they broke under the strain of the puller. I suppose a garage would do the same to get them off, no one is going to start taking the exhaust of, then the heat shield, it would take half a day to do the brakes.

The other thing I noticed is the handbrake lever was sized, I am pretty sure that is supposed to move. Also the handbrake lever is riveted to the shoe, it is not designed to be taken off. But on the other brake shoe, it has a clip on the part that goes above the ratchet clip, that is designed to be removed. That means the shoes I got are no good, which gives you some idea of how many variations there are out there, and I got mine from Allparts who supposedly know what the correct shoes are when you give them your reg.

As I am going to have to bleed the brakes, how much brake fluid do I need to buy.

[IMG][/IMG]

Update.

What could go wrong with a simple job like changing brake shoes, has more or less gone wrong. 1 drum sized on, 1 cylinder leaking, 1 drum bearing knackered. So the whole bloody lot needed renewing. Even though I had to buy a few extras, puller, new cylinders and drums, I still think I saved a few quid.
lammcl and tencharacter like this.

Last edited by JohnJ; 23-04-18 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Brake fluid capacity?
JohnJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-04-18, 03:07 PM   #2

Good on ya mate..

It's an absolute pita at the time, but you have learnt heap loads !!
and earnt the kudos of a job well done !

I've been away battling with a welder in the pouring rain, as the MOT guy went a poking about in places he shouldn't have been a pokin' !
It took *f.o.r.e.v.e.r* but I have learnt loads, and it'll get easier and quicker next time round..
It cost 6 in total (2 for the wire, and 4 for petrol for the generator...to run it till 5am grinding away from home, so as not to annoy the neighbours.)

Well done to you you John !

Liam
dscf2892.jpg
dscf2863.jpg
dscf2858.jpg
dscf2884.jpg
dscf2908.jpg
JohnJ likes this.

Last edited by lammcl; 28-04-18 at 03:15 PM.
lammcl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-04-18, 11:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammcl View Post
Good on ya mate..

I've been away battling with a welder in the pouring rain, as the MOT guy went a poking about in places he shouldn't have been a pokin' !
It took *f.o.r.e.v.e.r* but I have learnt loads, and it'll get easier and quicker next time round..
It cost 6 in total (2 for the wire, and 4 for petrol for the generator...to run it till 5am grinding away from home, so as not to annoy the neighbours.)

Liam
Attachment 77298
Attachment 77282
Attachment 77281
Attachment 77290
Attachment 77306
Thanks Liam, I certainly have learnt loads. I have changed a few rear brakes on other cars without any problem, but the 106 drum brakes were by far the worst to get to grips with as you can't really adjust them in the normal way.

I am not finished yet, I have been trying to put a few miles on the clock to bed the brakes in and I think I need to tighten the axle nuts a bit more, another half or 3 quarter turn should do it.

I noticed the front caliper on the drivers side was sticking when I was replacing the discs, I thought it might not be an issue at the time, but it looks like I have to replace the caliper on that side. I could rebuild it which would be a lot cheaper, but it all takes time. So off to the auto shop on Monday to get a new caliper.

Today I noticed there is a bit of play in the steering wheel, which wasn't there before. That's another job that needs doing.

PS; good luck with the welding.

Last edited by JohnJ; 29-04-18 at 12:01 AM.

Old 28-04-18, 11:57 PM   #4

Double post?

Last edited by JohnJ; 28-04-18 at 11:58 PM. Reason: as above
Old 29-04-18, 12:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
Thanks Liam, I certainly have learnt loads. I have changed a few rear brakes on other cars without any problem, but the 106 drum brakes were by far the worst to get to grips with as you can't really adjust them in the normal way.

I am not finished yet, I have been trying to put a few miles on the clock to bed the brakes in and I think I need to tighten the axle nuts a bit more, another half or 3 quarter turn should do it.

I noticed the front caliper on the drivers side was sticking when I was replacing the discs, I thought it might not be an issue at the time, but it looks like I have to replace the caliper on that side. I could rebuild it which would be a lot cheaper, but it all takes time. So off to the auto shop on Monday to get a new caliper.

Today I noticed there is a bit of play in the steering wheel, which wasn't there before. That's another job that needs doing.

PS; good luck with the welding.
Cheers
when I replace my back brakes, I got the ready assemled brake shoe kit... (about 50?) and it just fitted straight on ..
pict0019.jpg
16052014-010-001.jpg
16052014-017-001.jpg
16052014-019-001.jpg

My calipers, and pistons stick.
..in fact I have just released one side, a few days back, (in situ) for the mot..
Trying high temp pfte spray, & high temp silicone spray, as a lube, this time..
and got to remind myself to do them again in 6 mths this time round.
(I tried red grease but the protective boot has gone , and it just washes away)

Forward and onward
"gentlemen we can rebuild him" ... the $6 million car
JohnJ and tencharacter like this.

Last edited by lammcl; 29-04-18 at 12:39 AM.
Old 29-04-18, 12:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Cheers
when I replace my back brakes, I got the ready assemled brake shoe kit... (about 50?) and it just fitted straight on ..
Attachment 77314
Attachment 77321
Attachment 77322
Attachment 77329

My calipers, and pistons stick.
..in fact I have just released one side, a few days back, (in situ) for the mot..
Trying high temp pfte spray, & high temp silicone spray, as a lube, this time..
and got to remind myself to do them again in 6 mths this time round.
(I tried red grease but the protective boot has gone , and it just washes away)

Forward and onward
"gentlemen we can rebuild him" ... the $6 million car
When I pushed the pistons back to fit the shoes, one side wouldn't go back and I was using a piston tool that was designed for the job. I had to give it some wellie to drive the piston back, I think it has stayed stuck since then. The brakes felt spongy after doing this, even though I had not done anything to the brake pipes.

To try to solve this problem for the moment, I can fix it properly later. I am going to remove the caliper and put my foot on the brake, very lightly, to see if I can get the piston to move out a few mm, then push it back by in. I'll do that a few times while applying some silicone.
Old 30-04-18, 10:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Good on ya mate..

Liam
Attachment 77298
Attachment 77282
Attachment 77281
Attachment 77290
Attachment 77306
I'm not quite sure what needed welding, but if the mot tester found rust anywhere that affected the security of the suspension, steering, braking system, seat belts or seats, then it needed fixing.

Roger.
Old 01-05-18, 11:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyroger View Post
I'm not quite sure what needed welding, but if the mot tester found rust anywhere that affected the security of the suspension, steering, braking system, seat belts or seats, then it needed fixing.

Roger.
and fixed it was...
so good , infact , that he gave me two mots , one for next year as well
liam
JohnJ likes this.
Old 02-05-18, 12:35 AM   #9

Quote:
and fixed it was...
so good , infact , that he gave me two mots , one for next year as well
liam
I would have thought after seeing the excellent work you done, he should give you a lifetime MOT, as that's one job that will never need doing again.

I bought 2 new front calipers today, the old calipers were really knackered with rust. They had been on there for 18 years so they had to go. The transformation was amazing, I can stop on a sixpence now. So that's everything brake wise done now. New discs, drums, bearings, cylinders, calipers, shoes and pads.

Then I bled the entire system with my newfangled Sealey brake bleeder. The price is a bit of a rip off, then again, I reckon it would cost 50 quid to get the brakes bled in a garage, so I saved 3 quid.

Now that I see how it works, it would be very easy to make one. You don't really need a gauge, any Hozelock pressure sprayer would do the same job for less than half the price. You can buy various caps designed for pressure brake bleeders, then all you have to do is connect it to your Hozelock sprayer, and away you go.
lammcl likes this.
Old 02-05-18, 12:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
I would have thought after seeing the excellent work you done, he should give you a lifetime MOT, as that's one job that will never need doing again.

I bought 2 new front calipers today, the old calipers were really knackered with rust. They had been on there for 18 years so they had to go. The transformation was amazing, I can stop on a sixpence now. So that's everything brake wise done now. New discs, drums, bearings, cylinders, calipers, shoes and pads.

Then I bled the entire system with my newfangled Sealey brake bleeder. The price is a bit of a rip off, then again, I reckon it would cost 50 quid to get the brakes bled in a garage, so I saved 3 quid.

Now that I see how it works, it would be very easy to make one. You don't really need a gauge, any Hozelock pressure sprayer would do the same job for less than half the price. You can buy various caps designed for pressure brake bleeders, then all you have to do is connect it to your Hozelock sprayer, and away you go.
thanks next job is to weld him into his mot cabinet

That's interesting about the calipers... I've never swapped any, but mine do look a bit pitted and ropey tbh...

The brake bleeding is something I don't like doing tbh..
but the nipples have never snapped, as of yet... so maybe an unfounded fear...
Just think next time, it'll cost nothing...saving 50 every time you use it...on any car for the future ... savings !

When I swapped the back axle the brakes were really bad...foot to floor time ..
I read somewhere to loosen the nipples a bit put a hose on them , and put the hose submerged in brake fluid.. then , s-l-o-w-l-y push the brake pedal , 10-20 times..
It seemed to do the trick...

Great idea about the Hozelock pressure spray... the caps seem to be the crux, of the matter.....and you have done well to find them.

Good to see all the hands on progress you are making John, it'll end up a very sweet car.

All the best
Liam
JohnJ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in