Radiator Fan not coming on - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 106
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-02-14, 05:22 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Radiator Fan not coming on

Hi Guys need a little advice,
Just got a 106 zest 1.1 phase 2 (2000 model), drove it 80 miles home from the seller and it was fine no issues, but this was along the motorway and A roads with no traffic.

I was a little worried that as it has no temperature gauge on the dash just a warning light for over heating that it should come on and light up with the other lights before starting, to show it actually works. Its doesn't illuminate but from reading on the net it seems to be normal.

So I left the car on the drive and let it idle for 45 minutes, in this time the fan never came on which i would have expected it to have come on. The coolant reservoir was really hot and the hoses I felt all seemed to be pretty hot too but still no fan. The only thing that seemed to happen was coolant seeped out of the reservoir. I am not sure if there is a bleed valve on the reservoir or not so can't confirm where it came from but you can see it in the pic below.

The overheat temp light never come on but I turned the engine off once i saw the coolant leaking and thought I would come on here to see if anyone could offer up some advice on what to do next??

Any help much appreciated

p.s read a little bit and some claim it could be head gasket failure........ There is no sludge under the oil cap, and it doesn't appear to have lost any coolant on the 80 odd mile drive??
Attached Thumbnails
pug2.jpg  
pitkin2020 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-02-14, 07:28 AM   #2

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...gnostic-28190/

The diagnostic equipment can check the fan and relays.
Old 25-02-14, 07:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post

Gibbo,
Trying to sent you a PM but you are full.

Malcolm.

Old 25-02-14, 07:58 AM   #4
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post

nice idea but don't have any members in North Devon on the list unfortunately, so looks like I have no alternative but to take it to a garage.

Is it normal if the fan doesn't kick in for the coolant to overflow or is it likely to be a sign of a head gasket failure??
Old 25-02-14, 08:09 AM   #5

does it over flow out the cap?

do all hoses get hot. is the radiator hot?

my grandads car a 106 seems to have a thermostat that likes staying open

i have never managed to get my fan to come on in this weather before
Old 25-02-14, 08:30 AM   #6
Inactive User

My 106 never had the fan come on. Chances are the coolant was filled to the top and as you have let the car idle for such a long time the coolant has expanded, its normal. Run the car as you would normally and keep an eye on coolant level.
Least its got antifreeze in it and not just water

sent from my non apple product usin free autoguide.com
Old 25-02-14, 09:08 AM   #7
Inactive User

Ok so this morning I have ran the car for 10 mins idling on drive again. Top right hose heats up pretty quick within 5 minutes. Bottom left hose stayed cool but started to warm after around 10 mins.
I unplugged the blue sensor from the radiator the only electrical connection on the radiator that I can see but the fan still never kicked not did the coolant warning light on the dash which I thought it would.

After 10 mins I took the rad cap off there was no massive pressure build up but you could see the coolant had risen which I expected. The coolant was bubbling or anything like that.

As I have unplugged the coolant sensor surely fan should have come on as a precaution if it was working of at the very least the coolant warning light on dash?

I don't think it's head gasket doesn't appear to be any water in oil or cover versa and no coolant loss
Old 25-02-14, 09:39 AM   #8
Inactive User

Update I bypassed the sensor by sticking a paperclip in it and the fan kicked in straightaway. However the warning light never came on the dash?
I'm guessing it needs a new sensor the one that actually screws into the rad?
Old 25-02-14, 09:54 AM   #9

Are you maybe trying to fix something that isnt broke
Apart from it throwing out a small amount of coolant once whilst ticking over it hasnt done it again ???
Its usual for the top hose to get hot quicker than the bottom because of the thermostat.
On our 106 (407xjr had it last and killed itThe fan didnt cut in on that neither and it was really hot ) when the head gasket went it spewed all the coolant out within 10 minutes of starting, massive pressure,increasing when revving the engine, but no milkiness of the oil.
I would put a 5 litre canister full of water in the boot and run it around for a week checking the coolant after every journey(if its a long journey stop halfway) to give you an idea if its using any or not, then go from there.
407XJR likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Iron Grey 136bhp 2.0 hdi SE .........Written off
2006 Icelandic Grey 136bhp 2.0HDI SE......Written off
2006 Silver 136bhp 2.0hdi SE......Current car
Join us on FB "Peugeot 407 uk"
trem1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 25-02-14, 10:43 AM   #10
Inactive User

I have a 407 and had a failed fan, and did not notice it for months (just felt the air con was not working well when stood still). Only overheated on a very hot day when stuck in traffic.

These systems seem very over capacity and seem to cool effectively by convention, would not be surprised if yours is the same.

Odd that Peugeot don't follow the Japanese logic of making the fan switch open to run (very useful if the switch fails on holiday, just unplug to get it to run) but at least your fan works. The fan and warning are on two different detectors ? So if the fan does work, and the light is not coming on, then I imagine all is fine, just keep an eye on it when the weather gets warmer.
Gary C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in