mayo in pipe.... - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 106
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-02-14, 05:22 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default mayo in pipe....

so started the little service tonight on the 106, and I had to remove a pipe to get to the final spark plug.

When I removed the pipe and the top part coming out the top of the engine was gunked up with mayo a fair bit of it aswell, I scooped out what i could with a rag. I have now also noticed a little (just a little) under the oil cap on the top cover.

Is this normal to get a bit or is this going down the Head gasket failure road......

Pic shows pipe I am referring too
Attached Thumbnails
pug4.jpg  
pitkin2020 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-02-14, 05:40 PM   #2

Unless someone poured water in there thinking they were topping up the coolant then I would seriously suspect the head gasket has gone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-02-14, 05:44 PM   #3
Inactive User

it was done up with a jubilee clip and was tight as hell so i doubt anyone poured water in there lol.

Could it be a build of condensation from a lot of short trips, was a learners car prior?

Old 28-02-14, 05:47 PM   #4

yep short trips would/could be the cause, wipe out the pipe as best you can or remove it and clean it thoroughly then keep an eye on it for a few weeks and see if it returns, my guess if the engine gets up to temp regularly it won't

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Iron Grey 136bhp 2.0 hdi SE .........Written off
2006 Icelandic Grey 136bhp 2.0HDI SE......Written off
2006 Silver 136bhp 2.0hdi SE......Current car
Join us on FB "Peugeot 407 uk"
trem1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-02-14, 06:13 PM   #5
Inactive User

good thinking,im going to give it a few good runs and keep an eye on the water level. If it is HGF it has to be losing water
Old 28-02-14, 08:49 PM   #6

If the oil on dipstick is fine I would go for condensation from cold and damp weather, often happens in the winter.
Old 01-03-14, 06:52 AM   #7
Inactive User

no gunk on the dipstick.

Driven around a 100 + miles in it so far, after an 80 mile run no gunk under the oil cap.

Did around 10 miles yesterday (2 x 5 mile trips) and there was a little gunk under the oil cap.

The pipe I removed in the pic (which i presume is a breather pipe) was full of the gunk.

Going to mark the coolant bottle today and see if I am actually losing coolant or not, its so hard to tell as you can't really see the level through the side of the bottle and the neck is so small its even harder to see into it lol
Old 01-03-14, 07:48 AM   #8

This is common on these engines and is because of short journeys
reliable406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-14, 05:23 PM   #9
Inactive User

Seems it's very common then.

One issue I've got is I think the pressure cap on the coolant is knackered seal doesn't look great so going to replace that but also where is the max mark for the coolant I have a min mark but no max
Old 01-03-14, 09:21 PM   #10

Sound a mad thing to say but get new cap from Pug dealer. They are cheaper than ebay and most indy parts suppliers.

Rule of thumb moulding line on tank is max (or if you have level sensor cover the plastic cross you can see looking in top of tank)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in