Handbrake 106 - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 106
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-18, 05:28 PM   #1

Default Handbrake 106

I tried to take the rear drums off today, I don't think the brakes were fitted properly to begin with. With the handbrake off, they are rubbing, I think they should turn more freely. Of course this meant I couldn't get the hubs off.

At the moment the handbrake comes fully on after 3 to 4 clicks.

According the the manual, the handbrake should start to come on at 4 clicks, and be fully on after 7 clicks.

Any thoughts on this welcome. What is the correct handbrake setting for the 106 XN Zest.
JohnJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-18, 06:36 PM   #2

as the manual says the brakes should just be starting to rub on the 4th click

servicebox instructions for adjusting the handbrake
screen-shot-04-12-18-07-25-.jpg

by the sounds of it though you are going to have to get the drums off and adjust the shoes properly first,making sure theres no major lip on the edge of the drum,,,,before then adjusting the handbrake..

you may be lucky and find that someone has just adjusted the handbrake cables upto tight and slackening them off gives enough play to get the drum off...if not then if its the shoes adjusted to tight

good luck
JohnJ likes this.
Old 12-04-18, 07:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry57 View Post
as the manual says the brakes should just be starting to rub on the 4th click

servicebox instructions for adjusting the handbrake
Attachment 76026

by the sounds of it though you are going to have to get the drums off and adjust the shoes properly first,making sure theres no major lip on the edge of the drum,,,,before then adjusting the handbrake..

you may be lucky and find that someone has just adjusted the handbrake cables upto tight and slackening them off gives enough play to get the drum off...if not then if its the shoes adjusted to tight

good luck
Thanks Terry,

I think you have nailed it, I need to slacken off the handbrake cable, that might work. Then again it might not make much difference as the brakes are self adjusting and the hubs are old, so bound to have a lip.

My little mickey mouse jack won't lift the car high enough to get under it comfortably so I think I am going to let my local tyre brake and exhaust centre do this one. Then all I have to do is make sure they have done the job properly.
terry57 likes this.

Old 13-04-18, 02:50 PM   #4

Phoned National Tyres and then Kwik Fit for quotes to replace brake shoes.

National Tyres quoted me 184.00 and Kwik Fit quoted me 110.00
Old 14-04-18, 07:09 PM   #5

I gave up on the idea of taking the car to my local Kwik Fit for the moment, I can't give up that easily, so I have ordered a drum puller.

Had a look under the old crate today, I can't see the adjuster nut. If there is one under the body, it must be under the exhaust heat shield.

Or with any luck, I can adjust the back brakes from the centre console, if that's where the adjuster is.
Old 14-04-18, 07:48 PM   #6

screen-shot-04-14-18-08-36-.jpg
screen-shot-04-14-18-08-36-1.jpg
screen-shot-04-14-18-08-37-.jpg

if push comes to shove and the drum puller doesnt work you always just resort to brute force to get the drum off

selection of big flat screwdrivers,chisels,crowbar and a big hammer

have had to do this once before although it damaged and bent the pins and clips holding the shoes they wernt that expensive to replace

another option is to try an get a screw driver through the hole where the wheel bolt is in the drum and wind the internal shoe adjuster back

some cars even have a rubber plug in the backplate you can remove to get to the adjuster from behind..not sure if the 106 has one though
JohnJ likes this.
Old 14-04-18, 08:04 PM   #7

I had a look in servicebox, just selected a random 106 model with rear drum brakes.

Servicebox says there are no internal adjusters in the drum...??? If this is the case, completely releasing the handbrake cable should allow the drum to be pulled off even if it has a lip on the outer edge.

Must say that not having an internal shoe adjuster seems VERY odd... or am I just being a senile old git..??
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 14-04-18, 08:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillNZ View Post
I had a look in servicebox, just selected a random 106 model with rear drum brakes.

Servicebox says there are no internal adjusters in the drum...??? If this is the case, completely releasing the handbrake cable should allow the drum to be pulled off even if it has a lip on the outer edge.

Must say that not having an internal shoe adjuster seems VERY odd... or am I just being a senile old git..??
yep your right willNZ there doesnt appear to be any internal adjuster ,,just had a look myself so slackening of the cables should work..

i take it that they cant be self adjusting then???
usually you have the threaded notched wheel with the small spring tensioned arm to catch on the notches and wind the adjuster out as the linings wear down
Old 14-04-18, 08:26 PM   #9

Not having an automatic internal adjuster is just gobsmacking! It means that the rear braking effort will slowly diminish over time unless one knows to adjust the cables to keep the rear shoes within striking distance of the drums... exceptionally bad design IMHO
terry57 likes this.
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 14-04-18, 08:43 PM   #10

think servicebox is wrong

looking at the shoes on these websites there definately seems to some sort of adjuster ratchet arm ftted

http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/brak...l?gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-1...YAAOxyK~hRGkuN

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/P...a54a5ea&000419
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in