'93 106 Idle / Running Fault - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 106
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-09-18, 05:09 PM   #1

Default '93 106 Idle / Running Fault

Hi All

Brief intro - I've indvertanly ended up owning two Peugeots. We have a 206 SW which I've had for a few years, and a 1993 106 XT

I got the 106 for sub-scrap money as it had the (seemingly common) weepy head gasket. I swapped this, did a new cambelt & water pump - happy days. I bomb to work and back in it every day.

However, since I've had it it's always had a bit of an issue, mainly when idling but occasionally wen running. Just wanted to put it out there to see if anyone had any experience of this issue; had any ideas of where to start, or, can advise on decoding the engine warning light (I've lurked and read the various articles but can't find the relevant connectors in my loom - similarily can't find a fault on here like mine, but please accept my apologies if there is and I missed it!).

Engine is TU3M

- Car starts fine

- Car wil sometimesl run out of revs and stall when initially pulling away AS the clutch bites

- K engine warning light will sometimes light up during this time

- Once underway, car will 'kangaroo' a few times, resolved by easing off the throttle and dumping the clutch down

- Once up to temp, the car seems to run fine

- When in traffic, again sometimes pulling the clutch up causes the car to stall but it is easily restarted.

- Throughout most journeys the K engine light will come on a bit and minor rough running can be felt occasionally

I hope that's clear enough - essentially, it's all a bit eratic. So, I began to do a bit of diagnosis.

I fired it up and looked at the single injector. When running rough, you can see the fuel jetting eratticall - almost pulsing fuel out instead of a stream. The biggest breathrough however, can be seen in a video I have put on youtube [can't post the link though!]

There seems to be a plunger/actuator of sorts that sits behind the pulley for the throttle cable. It's built into the throttle body next to a multiplug. When the idle issue occurs, the plunger seems to be pulsing as in the video. It pushes against the ever pulley ever so slightly, thus causing the car to ever so slightly rev, and drop.

This has caused me to conclude that it is likely sensor related / bad signal going to the actuator (which I assume plays a role in autochoke/idle?) However I can't prove this, and can't establish where from. I can't see it being temp sensor related as this seems to occur when hot or cold. I'd love to read the fault code but I cannot for th elove of me find the diag point on this.

Hope someone can give me a hand with diagnosing!

Cheers,
Loz
lozlow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-09-18, 05:17 PM   #2

Try Map sensor mate
Quote:
Originally Posted by lozlow View Post
Hi All

Brief intro - I've indvertanly ended up owning two Peugeots. We have a 206 SW which I've had for a few years, and a 1993 106 XT

I got the 106 for sub-scrap money as it had the (seemingly common) weepy head gasket. I swapped this, did a new cambelt & water pump - happy days. I bomb to work and back in it every day.

However, since I've had it it's always had a bit of an issue, mainly when idling but occasionally wen running. Just wanted to put it out there to see if anyone had any experience of this issue; had any ideas of where to start, or, can advise on decoding the engine warning light (I've lurked and read the various articles but can't find the relevant connectors in my loom - similarily can't find a fault on here like mine, but please accept my apologies if there is and I missed it!).

Engine is TU3M

- Car starts fine

- Car wil sometimesl run out of revs and stall when initially pulling away AS the clutch bites

- K engine warning light will sometimes light up during this time

- Once underway, car will 'kangaroo' a few times, resolved by easing off the throttle and dumping the clutch down

- Once up to temp, the car seems to run fine

- When in traffic, again sometimes pulling the clutch up causes the car to stall but it is easily restarted.

- Throughout most journeys the K engine light will come on a bit and minor rough running can be felt occasionally

I hope that's clear enough - essentially, it's all a bit eratic. So, I began to do a bit of diagnosis.

I fired it up and looked at the single injector. When running rough, you can see the fuel jetting eratticall - almost pulsing fuel out instead of a stream. The biggest breathrough however, can be seen in a video I have put on youtube [can't post the link though!]

There seems to be a plunger/actuator of sorts that sits behind the pulley for the throttle cable. It's built into the throttle body next to a multiplug. When the idle issue occurs, the plunger seems to be pulsing as in the video. It pushes against the ever pulley ever so slightly, thus causing the car to ever so slightly rev, and drop.

This has caused me to conclude that it is likely sensor related / bad signal going to the actuator (which I assume plays a role in autochoke/idle?) However I can't prove this, and can't establish where from. I can't see it being temp sensor related as this seems to occur when hot or cold. I'd love to read the fault code but I cannot for th elove of me find the diag point on this.

Hope someone can give me a hand with diagnosing!

Cheers,
Loz
Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
PNK106 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17-09-18, 05:26 PM   #3

Failing that try the obvious throttle adjuster clip, and/or throttle idle adjustment(small inverted star socket) just above end of cable where it turns as you rev.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNK106 View Post
Try Map sensor mate

PNK106 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 26-09-18, 02:13 PM   #4

mebbe try unplugging the idle control valve and see if it helps..

mebbe spray some wd40 etc round the back of the engine (nr the intake manifold) to see if there's a hole in the gasket or the "o" ring has perished.

The clutch is a bit of mystery !

Good Luck
Liam
lammcl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in