1994 Peugeot 106 battery charge indicator - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 106
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By duncanlol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-17, 08:04 PM   #1

Default 1994 Peugeot 106 battery charge indicator

Right then, hi everyone,

About a month ago I picked up an L-reg 106, 72k on the clock, tidy all round.
Friday the charge light on the top of the battery was green, OK.

Yesterday afternoon when the battery charge indicator came up on the dash. At the time I was driving in the rain with the lights, radio and heaters on. I've driven 100~ miles since, starting and stopping a few times, with no ignition problems.

I put the battery (an Exide Excell EB500) on charge for a few hours today, it drew amps until it reached 12.55V then stopped, so I took it off charge. Indicator light was still off.

At first I thought it was just the battery needed recharging, but this didn't do a great deal. I then thought it could the the alternator. Would the battery hold enough charge to start the car numerous times, power the electrics for 2+ hours driving and still be going if it wasn't being recharged? Or could it just be that the battery is recharging, just is on its way out?

Before me, an old lady kept it in her garage, she sold it to a chap who drove it 1400 miles in 9 months. It has all the paperwork, and the last receipt I can find for a battery is 2011.

Some numbers:
Testing the battery with everything off: 12.23V
Just the lights, radio, heaters on: 11.51V
Just the ignition on: 11.88V varying
Ignition and electrics on: 11.37V varying

These seem really low to me.

I consulted my dad, as you do, and he said it could be the alternator.

Should I start by replacing the battery, or replace the alternator, or both? I find it more believable that the possibly 6-year old battery has failed, as opposed to the alternator. How can I test the output of the alternator?

Many thanks, Duncan
duncanlol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-17, 09:48 PM   #2
Super Moderator

If your alternator is as old as the car, 23 years old, it's probably just as likely to be failing. It could also be a bad earth causing issues. Check the main earthing point. Follow the black battery lead to where it bolts to the chassis. As a rule the battery light shouldn't come on for a flat battery as the alternator is providing the voltage the car needs. It could be weak but still keeping enough charge in the battery. Bear in mind a car of that age isn't as fussy about the voltage it gets to start. (No fancy ecu!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Have owned: '00 Speedfight2 50cc '96 106 1.5d Escapade '97 306 1.9d D-turbo '99 306 1.9d D-turbo '03 307 2.0hdi 110 Rapier '06 307 2.0hdi 136 XSI '04 Peugeot 206 2.0hdi XSI
stevoxsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-17, 05:51 PM   #3

If anyone's interested, I swapped the battery out for a spare but that proved disastrous, she started cutting out on me driving along, nursed her home and changed the alternator and she runs like a dream now.
stevoxsi likes this.
duncanlol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in