106 xsi head gasket - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 106
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-18, 12:34 PM   #1

Default 106 xsi head gasket

Hello, Iím new so go gentle.

I had a 1992 1.4 106 xsi around 10 years ago and have an opportunity to buy another. The seller is a busy man and Iíve been chasing him after he said it needed a fan switch. That turned into a probable head gasket issue and heís offered me the car as is. The car is vgc and Iíd like to keep it standard rather than a engine transplant.

Assuming heís not ran it too hot for too long is there any big issue? He has lots of other cars and I think this was just a toy to him, itís done a few thousand miles in two years.

An original head gasket is around £80.

Your thoughts please?
Ollymonknuts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-18, 12:38 PM   #2

Hi there, many greetings from Greece. If your mechanic is good for that stuff like head gasket replacement, then go ahead and do it. Many 106s in Greece had a same problem, basically many of the TU PSA engines. After the repair, it is a 90% probability that your car will run smooth as [email protected]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollymonknuts View Post
Hello, Iím new so go gentle.

I had a 1992 1.4 106 xsi around 10 years ago and have an opportunity to buy another. The seller is a busy man and Iíve been chasing him after he said it needed a fan switch. That turned into a probable head gasket issue and heís offered me the car as is. The car is vgc and Iíd like to keep it standard rather than a engine transplant.

Assuming heís not ran it too hot for too long is there any big issue? He has lots of other cars and I think this was just a toy to him, itís done a few thousand miles in two years.

Your thoughts please?
Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk
uncle_nontas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-18, 12:54 PM   #3

Χαίρετε As you guys say!

Iíve waiting for my mechanic chap to get back to me, Iím hoping heíd do a cash job at the weekend.

Old 10-05-18, 12:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Χαίρετε As you guys say!

Iíve waiting for my mechanic chap to get back to me, Iím hoping heíd do a cash job at the weekend.
Please post the future of the story here mate.

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk
uncle_nontas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-18, 03:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Hello, I’m new so go gentle.

I had a 1992 1.4 106 xsi around 10 years ago and have an opportunity to buy another. The seller is a busy man and I’ve been chasing him after he said it needed a fan switch. That turned into a probable head gasket issue and he’s offered me the car as is. The car is vgc and I’d like to keep it standard rather than a engine transplant.

Assuming he’s not ran it too hot for too long is there any big issue? He has lots of other cars and I think this was just a toy to him, it’s done a few thousand miles in two years.

Your thoughts please?
Hi Olly,
I'm not familiar with the 1.4 , but the 1.1 isn't a big job to do..
tbh, i did it myself from youtube...took a day or so, but I wasn't very mechanically minded..

the 1.4 looks good 100bhp..
let's hope the mechanic can give the old gal a new lease of life

just found out that it's cast iron block, which is a good thing ... you may be lucky *fingers crossed*

ps it may just be a fan switch...head gaskets show by losing water, or bubbling away at the radiator cap, or mayonaise , afaik.
could be fan switch, or not properly bled etc..
All the best
Liam

Last edited by lammcl; 11-05-18 at 03:33 AM.
lammcl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 20-11-18, 09:25 PM   #6

So I bought it! 75k mint wheels and interior. Turns out the seller was just a busy chap, total petrolhead who owns several iconic vehicles. Heís done 600 dry miles in three years, always garaged. Prior to him I spoke to the chap who did the refurb, between summer 2013-2015 and kept everything standard.

The paintwork needs attention in parts and front bumpers are scuffed.

As for the overheating, water had spurted out of the header tank, fan hadnít cut in so maybe jut a fan switch, garage is looking into it now. Even if itís a head gasket Iím just chuffed I now own it.

Itís missing the lower front bumper plastic trim if anyone has one? Also dip stick head and wheel brace. Pics to follow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in