106 gti compession - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 106
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-01-15, 03:59 PM   #1

Default 106 gti compession

My sons 1997 106 gti started to idle erratically, then gradually lost power, then would not start at all. [this happened over 2 days] I have done compression test, all around 50 psi, [seems strange they are all the same] which goes up to 60 with oil in cylinders.
Have put oil in cylinders and the car starts and runs perfect for a few minutes then stalls.
We have therefore come to the conclusion that it is a compression failure on the rings, but the car used hardly any oil and the plugs are spot on perfect.
Has any one had a similar problem, could it be something else, head gasket, and if i take the head of, is it possible to take the pistons out with engine in situ.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I have rebuilt a few engines in the past, 4,6,8,cylinders so am familiar with engines.
tigger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-01-15, 05:06 PM   #2

50psi is dreadful,I dont think an engine would start with all four that low.Are you sure your getting a correct reading?? that 16V TU engine should be about 150psi.
They are a cracking little engine and I`ve never had one with piston/rings/bore problems.Unless of course the engine had not been "cooked" dry,has it had any history of overheating?
I have had a couple of these engines blow the head gasket across 2 & 3 cylinders.That would give you low compressions on those two but good compressions on 1 & 4.

Last edited by Old Pug; 19-01-15 at 05:10 PM.
Old Pug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19-01-15, 10:14 PM   #3

Have tried compression test five or six times, and reading 50 psi, and no it wont start unless you squirt some oil in bores and compression increases by 10 to 20 psi then it starts and runs perfect for 5 minutes, then stops and wont start again.
As i said it is strange that all cylinders are reading the same.
are you able to access the pistons without taking engine out as I might take head off and re-ring it if I can.

Old 20-01-15, 08:57 AM   #4

I agree with you,this is very strange? All four compressions don't just go together unless something very serious has happened like complete loss of coolant and "cooked" engine.Are you sure there is no history.

Its a very straightforward engine to work on,a little bit crampt and fiddly but quite easy.Head off,sump pan/oil pump off,pistons and rods out through the top.
Its best that you get a Haynes manual or similar and follow procedures particularly with the rebuild,setting camshaft timing,fitting cam belt etc.

As i keep on saying,this is very odd? before you start stripping the engine get another compression tester and really make sure the readings are correct.
If they are you may find damaged pistons and bores? warped cylinder head?
in other words a f!*"!* engine.
Then you must find out why it got like that. Good luck.

Last edited by Old Pug; 20-01-15 at 09:01 AM.
Old Pug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 20-01-15, 02:37 PM   #5

Thanks for reply. My son has had the car almost all of its life, and it has been looked after. It has never overheated or lost any water, the bores are dry and the plugs are prefect colour. but definate loss of compression. will probably take head off this week to take a better look.......Thanks

PS. Will try another compression tester if I can get hold of one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in