106 Engine Conversion - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 106
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-07-16, 05:08 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 106 Engine Conversion

Has anybody here got any knowledge on converting my 1.1 independence 2002 engine for a GTI? Does the GTI simply just slip in to the bay? From what I have been told you need certain wiring for the conversion? Thanks in advance!
CRB99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-07-16, 09:21 PM   #2

Yes its possible but its a huge undertaking.
Everything will have to be altered to accommodate the 16V engine.Engine wiring loom and ECU,engine mountings altered,cooling system,exhaust system,lots of other small mods.
Then the front suspension,brakes,driveshafts etc of a 1.1 were not designed to cope with the power of a 1.6 16V engine.
Forget the idea,sell your 1.1 and buy a GTi.
Old Pug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-07-16, 09:33 PM   #3
Inactive User

Now thinking about it it would seem more responsible to buy the GTI itself. I wanted some other advice excluding my friends who just told me to fling it in Hahahaha! one of them actually done a conversion. Only the car they put the 16v engine into was a quicksilver. I suppose this car with its more uprated suspension ect would make a more suitable foundation for the more demanding engine. But only the GTI car it's self would be the best match for the engine.

Thanks for your input! It definitely shed some light onto the idea!
CRB99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 25-08-16, 09:49 AM   #4
Inactive User

To be honest, its far simpler than youd expect. Everything is plug and play provided you match loom multiplugs. The spi fuel pump wont keep up, so youll need a mpi fuel pump. But the engine mounts are the same, gearbox fits the same, standard suspension and brakes will be adequate as long as you have good fluid and pads, but they wont take sustained abuse.

Coolant system will be fine, im still using a 1.1 radiator on my 16v AX.

1.1 exhaust will choke the engine a wee bit, but second hand systems are pennies nowadays and a straight swap regardless of chassis.

Basically if youre handy with tools its easily doable in an afternoon, been there, done that!
dfs16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in