106 Diesel Advice - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 106
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-05-16, 10:16 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 106 Diesel Advice

Hi there,

I'm relatively new to Peugeot's (used to have a few petrol ones in the family but I was very young then) and had Mercedes and BMW

I'm looking for a car to run on veg (once again, did it with a 190D previously), and know that the XUD's are great for this (Bosch pump only). I'm looking for a 205/309 but they are pretty rare now days.

I wanted to consider the 106 also as I quite like them (and dare I say it Saxo too!)

Is the story the same with TUD engines? Are they as good as XUD's for this? Do they require a Bosch pump also? or are the lucas ones OK? Are the newer models no good for veg etc?

I've also heard the 1.4 diesels are best avoided. Is this true?

Thanks

Naim
naim22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-05-16, 07:12 AM   #2

Can't speak about the TUD engine but the 1.5 diesel in the older 106s should be fine.

HDIs won't like veg oil though, and I'm guessing all 1.4 diesels are HDI.
Old 18-05-16, 08:46 AM   #3
Inactive User

I think there was a 1.4 TUD engine (common consensus seems to be this is terrible) in early 106's, then a 1.5 TUD engine then a 1.4 HDi

I dont want HDi as its no good for veg.

Old 18-05-16, 02:29 PM   #4

106`s never had a HDi diesel engine.

From 1991 to 94 they had a 1.4 TUD3Y engine with a Lucas pump.
1995 to 2003 it had a 1.5 TUD5Y engine with Lucas pump.

Then from 1999 there was also a 1.5 TUD5Y with a fancy Bosch pump,EGR,Kat and all that stuff.

I cant comment on the veg` issue,but I found the TU diesel as tough and robust as an XU.Not exactly a performance car by any means but if everything is in perfect working order and driven normally,you will get over 70mpg.

Why mess with veg`?
Old Pug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18-05-16, 03:02 PM   #5

1.5 is the best of the 2 engines but most had lucas pumps bosch was available but rarely do you see one the lucas pumps will run veg in small doses but wont last long.

TUD engine is fine but cars it was fitted to were less than fine AX 106 saxo metro !!

106 itself is not a terribly good car you would be better finding a 205 or 309 citroen zx or even early 306
Old 18-05-16, 06:13 PM   #6
Inactive User

Ok, I see. Not interested in a lucas pump, they self destruct anyway from what I've heard. Sounds like bosch is rare in these

Citroen ZX seems to fit the bill perfectly, right size and available with the XUD9. Will it be a challenge to find a bosch one?

309's and 205's are proving very difficult to find. In fact bosch cars as a whole are just not out there. Every 205 I've enquired about has been Lucas.
Old 18-05-16, 06:23 PM   #7
Ginger Magic

Do you not fancy a 306?

Maybe not as cool as the earlier ones but they have Bosch ( mostly ) and are okay on veg as far as I know....
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18-05-16, 07:22 PM   #8
Inactive User

I dont know what it is about 306's but they are my last choice, I'm trying to avoid electrics and want a simple as car as possible. I see x06 cars as the point at which Peugeot's ruggedness and reliability declined (106 the exception).

However If I cannot find anything else a 306 it will have to be.

I quite like the dturbo but 5 door is more important so would take any diesel tbh
What to look out for on 306's? Are the early cars more robust?

Thanks for the advice so far
I have a veg source I think so wanted to dabble
Old 18-05-16, 08:10 PM   #9

citroen zx and 306 are essentially the same car most early ones had bosch pumps most later ones 1998 onwards had lucas but they can have either at any age !

My son has a berlingo van with a 306 d turbo engine in it was running fine untill be broke it but he is running silly boost levels so its awaiting a replacement engine but they can still be found.
Old 19-05-16, 10:13 AM   #10
Inactive User

No plans for silly boost levels or anything. Just want a runner that is bosch pumped. I'm not that fussed if it's turbo or non turbo either.

The only real preference is 5 door and an early a car as possible to avoid any electrics

Given how much I've struggled to find a bosch pumped car so far just gonna have to keep looking

Am i correct in identifying the above as a bosch pump?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in