Peugeot Forums banner

Noisey suspension

7K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Spaced-Man 
#1 ·
My 1007 has developed very noisy suspension on the drivers side front.
It started with a knock.
My mechanic went over it with a fine toothed comb and could not find anything wrong, so we agreed to replace the front shocks.
This seemed to work for a few days but now it's back with avengance.

Now it knocks, squeaks and makes a sound like you've run over a loose man hole cover.
There is NOTHING loose as far as my guy can see, no abnormal movement, nothing visibly worn.

The car handles as normal.
Another forum suggested the drop links but there is nothing visibly worn and no abnormal movement.

I'm frightened it may collapse, but my guy assures me there is nothing that will fall off, collapse or otherwise.

He said that PUG's are renowned for noisy suspension but the cause is a nightmare to find.

Has anyone got any suggestions?:confused:

See less See more
#2 ·
I would look at droplinks. If you have replaced shocks on a hunch the cost of drop links is negligible in comparison. I'm assuming the spring and topmount were all reseated correctly when shocks were changed?

#9 ·
He said that PUG's are renowned for noisy suspension
Regardless of how long you've been taking cars to this guy, that kind of reply is a cop out because he can't figure it out. I've had two Peugeot 307's, my sister and niece have 207's, a neighbour has a 206 and two people at work have Pugs and none of them have noisy suspension, especially like you describe. Way too easy to say they are renowned for a problem when it is just because you can't find the cause.

G
#10 ·
I'm frightened it may collapse, but my guy assures me there is nothing that will fall off, collapse or otherwise.
How on earth can he make a statement like that if he doesn't know what the problem is?

He said that PUG's are renowned for noisy suspension but the cause is a nightmare to find.
Bullpois again. One thing pug usually manage to do well is make a decent handling car, although the 1007 is an obvious exception to that rule. Their set ups are mostly clever development of simple designs and are generally hassle free and quiet. The fungus covering his ignorance with words formed from manure.

Has anyone got any suggestions?:confused:
Don't get too focused on suspension when it could equally be a steering component, engine mount, or sub frame problem, but the best advice is to set fire to the 1007 and find spanner man who is not bred from a chimpanzee to look after your next car. Remember, a good 1007 is a very bad thing indeed.

#11 ·
Hello sorry to hear bout your issue with the suspension.
Have had same problem since purchasing a 56 plate 1.4 manual 1007.
Had it checked out and it was 1st diagnosed as drop links.
Had them done.Week later noise was back but worse.
Diagnosed as the rubber cones that suspension. Sits on.
Had them done.
2 weeks after this the noise was back so really peed off.
Decided to diagnose it myself. Had a friend rock car from side to side while touching various components.
I could feel the drop link knocking. Even though replaced. Wks earlier.
Went on ebay purchased. 2 for less than a £10 delivered.
And since fitting the noise has not returned.
Point is even new parts can fail..
So I would check yours.
It could be the problem. It's usually. Caused by over tightening. Of drop links.
Another very common problem when new suspension. Is fitted. Is the spring is not seated in the cup correctly.
And when weight of car has settled the spring comes loose.
This can then destroy the suspension cup and require a complete leg.
And all for the sake of a quick check when fitting.
I don't wish to alarm you with this info. But I think our experience so far has been annoying. But we still love the car.
I hope this may be of help.

#12 ·
Drop links are the obvious as there are plenty of cheap ones about.

I fiitted MEYLE HD units and there are far better.

However - I had a knock on the front of my 307sw that no garage could find.
I replaced most of the suspension as it was on my to do list (managed to get new genuine units at a price I couldn't refuse)

Turned out to be a loose brake pad!! One of the front pads on the 307 136 has metal clips on the rear that hold the pad in the piston. The car had been fitted with cheap pads by the previous owner/garage and they just wouldn't hold th epad secure. Because the metal was so thin even when bending they wouldn't hold.
New set of mintex pads later and the rattle is gone!

To diagnose either manually check the pad or see if the noise is only present when the brakes are NOT applied.

#13 ·
Problem fixed.

Although I have serious doubts about the qualifications and abilites of some MOT inspectors, no offence intended to any inspectors on this site.
The car has passed 2 MOTs like this.

I took it to my local ATS and the guy found the problem withing 5 minutes.

On BOTH lower wish bones the bush nearest the back had a LOT of play.
The noisey one had a good 3/4 of an inch of play and the passenger one had about 1/4 to 1/2 and inch of play.

He replaced both wishbones with all the bushes pre-installed, did the tracking and I now have silence.

How this had passed 2 MOT's I don't know, also one of the places I took it to was a Peugeot main dealer, who also failed to find the problem even though they could hear it on a road test.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.