peugeot 307 - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > General Discussion
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-03-10, 05:49 AM   #1

Default peugeot 307

hi all new person here........

in a few days getting a 307 1.4 8v rapier in blue on a 03 plate got f.s.h.and only 47k on the clock.
i like the drive of these and just what i need for cheap tax and petrol as only do local driving never motorway and power is just right.
just would like to know more about this model like the spec on it as i see its got a few things like built in cd changer etc and thing to look for and do like cambelt and things.
also being a 1.4 8v what is this about removing the battery etc as person removed it at the garage and i went in it after for a test drive and seemed ok,i would of just taken it off and put it on so will it cause problems and in what way.
sorry to rabble on a bit
thanks all.......

Last edited by jace; 21-03-10 at 05:56 AM.
jace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-03-10, 08:13 AM   #2

some strange brown stuff around the water bottle and water a bit brown
and cant see any oil on the dipstick or its so clean like just been done but
its not been serviced for 9 months so think something dont add up.
head gasket is what i think so might leave it,never get another at this rate.
Old 21-03-10, 10:54 AM   #3

That version of the 1.4 is pretty tough. However, there iis a fault where the head gasket slowly starts weeping oil at the timing belt end. Over time the oil goes all over the belt (not good) and the leak worsens to full on head gasket failure if not addressed.

IIRC there is a modified head gasket that cures this.
Old 21-03-10, 03:44 PM   #4

i will have to tell the garage that i aint having it.
lost 100 deposit but betting than loosing a lot more.
cheers for that
Old 23-03-10, 03:38 PM   #5

Hi, not as bad as it sounds if it is the head gasket. I have a 307 1.4 with head gasket problem at the moment.

Very common problem on the 8V engine, The gasket has a seal which is prone to leaking the the front left corner by the cambelt housing. I have been told by both a RR trained mechanic trading for over 40yrs and peugeot dealer that so long as the have does not overheat that the problem have be left and actually aint that important. Although advised to get done eventually you can find people do them pretty cheap as the engine is very easy to work on.

Secondly you should investigate whether its the rocker/valve cover gasket which also prone to breaking however is simple to change and can look worse than it realy is.

I suppose price is what to look at as i was sold mine and found this all out the following day. At least if you repair one you knowthe problem is unlikely to occur again.

Finally if the car is for running round and town driving i would advise a 16V, due to the weight of the car i have found mine is quite juicy on town driving and much better on the motorway.
sampeugeot307 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-03-10, 04:32 PM   #6

I would have thought that any oil leak near to the cambelt is an issue always worth rectifying.
steve m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-03-10, 09:31 PM   #7

This went on my olde 207 with the same engine. It went in within a week of the weep being noticed by myself, and it had already been flung around the timing case which indicates it had been getting on the belt or pulleys, which could be fatal if left. Chatting to their workshops Fossil he did state that if left it would eventually develop to full HGF, though not overnight. Either way, the cure is a modified headset.

A good mate of mine is an RR mechanic, and let's be honest - he knows his stuff, but he learned his trade on Camargues and Silver Shadows, while I leaned mine on R32 Skylines and 300ZX twin Turbos. You can guess who learned more!

Last edited by chopper1192; 23-03-10 at 09:35 PM.
chopper1192 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-03-10, 11:02 PM   #8

Only trying to help and i agree that it needs to be rectified however if checked regularly for leaking into the cambelt housing the problem can continue without causing further problems/

Mine has been leaking for around 7 months previous to be buying he car and still has absolutely no problems or signs of head gasket failure.

My RR mechanic friend actually trained as a mechanic in other fields however continued to trade within RR afterwards.
Old 24-03-10, 07:24 AM   #9

Ah, I'm the opposite. I stared on cars then moved to Celestial Mechanics (spaceflight science). If the HG fails on an Apollo CSM then I'm your man!
Old 31-03-10, 12:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper1192
Ah, I'm the opposite. I stared on cars then moved to Celestial Mechanics (spaceflight science). If the HG fails on an Apollo CSM then I'm your man!
I'll bear it in mind - thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.