gear oil change - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > General Discussion
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By reliable406

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-10, 09:58 AM   #1

Default gear oil change

Hi all. I have an expert 2.0 hdi 05 van. I want to change the gearbox oil. The van has done 40000 miles. I have been trying to get a workshop manual to show me how to do it but I can't find one any ware. Could anyone help? Many thanks Colin.
colin loach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-10, 11:43 AM   #2

Well if its similar to the majority of gearboxes it'll be easy enough. A Pain in the arse if you aint got the right tool but easy enough in theory.

1. Jack up van (Bear in mind we are gonna be draining the box so don't go too high or we might end up leaving some in there)
2. Drain old oil - Drain plug will be around the very bottom of the box, just think logically and have a look around for a big ish looking bolt near the passenger wheel on the box. There should be two bolts, one at the very bottom and one half way up the box.
Bottom is drain plug, mid way up one is filler level plug.
3. Refit drain plug and refill gearbox with correct amount of correct oil. For your box I couldn't tell you for definite but its probably BV Gear Oil or something similar 75W80. Thats just from memory on my own motor but it will probably be the same. Not sure on the volume, couple of litres roughly.
4. To fill, yes you do have to put the oil through that little filler/level hole you just took that bolt out of. It can be a right pain in the arse to do this and not get in a right state, trust me, from experience here, lol. First time I filled a box, more was on me than in the box.
I find the best way, buy one of those oil suckers which are designed for picking up oil spills in garages or similar. I got mine from machine mart, can hold roughly half a litre of oil, Its like a huge syringe basically but has a flexible end so you can direct it how you want, so you can understand why that would make the job a million times easier.

A picture is worth a thousand words.
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...il-suction-gun
That is the tool I meant
roy_newell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-10, 12:55 PM   #3

Thanks Very much, i will let you know how i get on.
colin loach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-10, 05:17 PM   #4

Take it for a 20 mile spin to get the oil warm and get any contaminants into suspension, so you drain the max amount of oil and swarf.
Old 03-03-10, 08:43 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Fill two litres of 75w/80 via the reverse switch and you'll have no spillages!
davidireland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-10, 04:44 PM   #6

I don't know what box this chap has, but if he's lucky there'll be a breather handily placed to squirt his stuff into. Oo-er matron!
Old 11-09-14, 07:38 PM   #7

sorry to raise this thread from the depths but I'm having a similar issue.

again a 2005 2.0 HDI Expert, I've read every discussion i can find about level plug locations and can't find one that matches the box on my van. there is nothing in the tin plate behind the wheel and nothing on the curved part of the diff casing. figured it had to be the box with out a plug that had to have a measured amount of oil poured in.

so put it up on the lift (i have access to an old 2 post lift) removed the retaining bolt from the reversing switch (at least i'm assuming its the reversing switch, its right at the back of the box held in with a single torx bolt through a collar) and a load of oil pored out of it as i eased it out, i put it back in so not much got out but i'm wondering if this is were i should be filling from, the van does sit a bit higher at the front when its on the lift so it could just be that that was causing it to flow out, but i wanted a bit of reassurance from some one with a more experience with these vans that i'm in the right place. it still has its original factory fill oil so should be at original level.
laazarus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-14, 07:57 PM   #8

That is the speedo drive there is a drain plug in the bottom of the diff case somewhere and as stated earlier in thread just refill through the plastic breather it is under the air filter case remove that and you just lift off the top of the breather put in 2 litres job done
laazarus likes this.
Old 11-09-14, 09:46 PM   #9

that makes sense about the speedo drive. the drain plug isn't a problem, already got a tool made up for that.
every thing i've changed gear box oil on before has had a level hole and was usually easier to get to from the bottom (and had a haynes manual, the Experts seem notorious for been a bit mysterious, mine more than most, often gets a cocked eyebrow when i go to get parts were there are more than one option).

any way thank you for the confirmation, I'll get the airbox out tomorrow and get it sorted.
Old 13-09-14, 11:54 AM   #10

All sorted, thank you reliable406. ended up filling through the reversing switch (the actual reversing switch this time). to any one else finding this thread and looking to do the same, i will say this, a 3 litre pressurised garden sprayer makes getting the new oil in very easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.