206 Auto Gearbox Solonoid Change - Walkthrough anyone? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > General Discussion
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-07-11, 12:52 AM   #1

Default 206 Auto Gearbox Solonoid Change - Walkthrough anyone?

Firstly, hello everybody.

My wife now has the 206 auto she always wanted, the only other pug I ever owned was an old 104 which I was quite fond of. Anyway, against my advice we now have this 206 which I believe requires upgraded solenoid valves (borg - warner) in the auto box, along with an ECU update and new ATF. Can anyone with sufficient knowledge provide some pointers on replacing these?

We are experiencing symptoms which seem to indicate this job needs doing. I am due to run a diagnostic soon when my mate brings his code reader over, but I am fairly sure the solenoids will need replacing. I intend to get the ECU updated afterwards for which Peugeot have quoted me 62

Any help would be received with much love.

phillipo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-07-11, 09:53 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Most of the problems in this gearbox (AL4) are to do with the torque converter.
I have fitted solenoid valves to the valve chest in maybe three of them.
All I would say is make sure the problem is diagnosed correctly.
This gearbox is very weak.
davidireland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22-07-11, 07:29 PM   #3

Hi, thanks for the reply, it is comforting to know that such learned people are here!

The symptoms of my particular problem are as follows:

Sudden shift into 3rd accompanied by a harsh knock

Sports/snow lights flashing alternately

I believe this is the limp home mode. At first this seemed to occur when doing 50 mph, it now seems to happen when climbing a fairly steep hill near my home.

I am still waiting on the code reader from my pal :-(

I am fairly technical, ex-computer/electronics industry and I do all my own MOT and maintenance no matter how big the job, I just need a bit of re-assurance and guidance on this particular job as I am fairly confident the diagnosis will point towards its necessity.
Old 22-07-11, 09:50 PM   #4

Actually, I can see there are at least 18 different conditions which can lead to limp mode being called upon. Time to chase that code reader I think.
Old 31-07-11, 02:45 AM   #5

oh well, in the absence of further advice I will update and share my findings. Maybe it could benefit somebody somehow.

I got the code-reader from my pal and strangely there appears to be no codes stored.
The "limp mode" problem stopped occurring for several days but has now returned. Further checks using the code reader are giving same result as before i.e no codes

I know that the AT fluid must be changed at some point and the oil counter must be reset. I also still believe that the solenoid valves will need replacing, and possibly remove the valve block to inspect/clean the ports and channels.

Can anybody enlighten me?
Are there any "check balls" to look out for if I detach the valve block?
I would hate to dislodge these and spend an eternity crawling around looking for them or lose one inside the gearbox.
Old 02-08-11, 11:50 PM   #6

Well I seem to be going through a period of the problem occurring more frequently. There is no point in attempting to tackle the problem until I have more funds. I read somewhere that only Peugeot ATF fluid can be used but when I phoned my (very knowledgeable) parts supplier, he gave me a price for an equivalent from his book I presume at about 6 per litre.

Anybody there?
Old 03-08-11, 10:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipo View Post
I know that the AT fluid must be changed at some point and the oil counter must be reset.
Oil counter? What's that?

"08" 207 SW 1.6 VTI Auto
Webby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-11, 04:23 PM   #8

Well I expect I will be corrected if I am wrong. I read that the 'lubricated for life' AL4 auto box has a function (probably just an ecu program) whereby the age and temperature of the ATF fluid is monitored. I suspect that old oil may trigger a fault condition if it reaches a certain temperature.
After an ATF fluid change the ECU needs updating to tell it that the oil is new.

Like I said, this is what I have read somewhere.
Old 04-08-11, 11:45 AM   #9

Thanks for that Philip.

"08" 207 SW 1.6 VTI Auto
Webby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-11, 01:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipo View Post
Well I expect I will be corrected if I am wrong. I read that the 'lubricated for life' AL4 auto box has a function (probably just an ecu program) whereby the age and temperature of the ATF fluid is monitored. I suspect that old oil may trigger a fault condition if it reaches a certain temperature.
After an ATF fluid change the ECU needs updating to tell it that the oil is new.

Like I said, this is what I have read somewhere.
You seem to know more than the rest of us about this gearbox mate...perhaps its a dealer issue....some things are......
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.