Peugeot Forums banner

Installed cruise control on Ford Focus

48K views 36 replies 5 participants last post by  stumark 
#1 ·
HI guys, thought id do a guide on how to install cruise control, which I done on my model.

Anyways lets do some preliminary checks.

1. pull down the passenger footwell fusebox. There will be a blue connector with 2 rows of wires. Check to make sure a Brown coloured wire and white wire is present. (picture 1)

2. Now time to check your steering wheel connector. there are 2x torx 25 screws under the cowling which will need taking out. Turn the steering wheel 90 degrees in each direction and push the tabs shown on the pics below. Remove the top plastic shroud followed by the bottom.

3. Now there will be the connector as shown in pic 4. look for a brown and white wire as in step 1. The other 4 are for the horn and airbag....DO NOT PLAY with these.

So far so good...Now time to check if switches are present.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Now get your head under, near the pedals and look at the tops of the pedals...

1. Your brake pedal should have 2 connectors. - one black, one blue
2. check your clutch pedal - should have 1 black connector.

If you got this far and can answer yes to all this, your in luck...You can activate Cruise Control:thumb:

Attachments

#3 ·
Genuine Ford Route for cruise

Now this is where it splits on how you want to go ahead and get cruise switches. The Budget edition (which I did) or the more expensive way.

This post will cover the expensive way.

1. buy yourself a four spoke steering wheel with cruise control switches on the side, please note the steering wheel from the cmax does not fit the focus.

2. remove your steering wheel and airbag and replace with your new one plugging into the connector where you found the brown and white wire.

Attachments

#4 ·
My method of cruise

What I did to get cruise; as I don't want to remove the steering wheel and airbag as knowing me I'd get it wrong. anyways I found the circuit schematic for the cruise control.

So I went out and bought:

10x Quality Momentary Tactile Push Button Switch SPST Miniature/Mini/Micro/Small PCB 6x6 with 6mm button (only need 5 but have some spares) - £1.33

100x 0.25W 120R resistors - 99p
100x 0.25W 1kR resistors - 99p
100x 0.25W 180R resistors - 99p
100x 0.25W 510R resistors - 99p
100x 0.25W 300R resistors - 99p

10m of 1 core, 0.6mm hookup wire - £1.95

(see what I mean for budget :lol:)

Well anyways I used the 2nd picture for a circuit diagram to where to put the resistors and buttons etc.

I then placed the new circuit into the radio stalk as something similar to the 3rd picture and hooked it up to the brown and white wire under the steering wheel.

Attachments

#5 ·
Once I had all this connected up I got my IDS out and activate Speed Control on the GEM, PCM and IC - All needed recalibrating but for some reason ford let me connect and download the calibration.

Now when I go down the A1 or A19 to work, I turn cruise on and have fun...I will admit it was a little weird at first :lol:

#6 ·
Thats fantastic, just got a Focus 2010 and checked all the switches you have mentioned and its all there!, I am just ordering all the components above and am getting to work on this right now!!! I am just down the road from you, and hoping if i get it all wired up that you may be able to help activating and checking it for me....please?

#10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info, will take the stalk off tomorrow and get to work once the parts arrive early this week I hope.

1 final question (I hope), on the second circuit diagram what do the blue and red wires correspond to? i.e. which one goes to the brown and which to the white, does it make a difference?

#14 ·
Good and bad news (maybe!)....

Was going to take apart the function stalk today and plan my wiring as the rest of the parts arrived today, anyway my father turned up with a focus steering wheel with the cruise control buttons! what luck, anyway I installed it and a friend of mine offered to swap the airbags and take my steering wheel as he preferred the 3 spoke one for some reason!. I didnt argue.

I tested the buttons worked via the rear heater trick and all did BUT after reading the other thread which you are contributing to on FOC it says about the gem number ending in D* but mine end in C* meaning it wont work?

All the wiring is in all the places listed in the posts and everything else checks out and the buttons are registering, will it work? really panicking now. All I need is you to enable it or is it pointless as the Pidu in the FOC club seems to think it may not work based on his post. Can you help, please?.

#15 ·
Mate dont worry about the GEM number ending in what ever you said. Mine was different to that as well. If you have wiring, switches on brake and clutch and have the buttons its all good!

Take a deep breath and relax haha

All it needs now is activating. Im in darlington on saturday so could do it then if you want?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#16 ·
Definately will be there as I have to go to London on monday and it would be very cool to have it!! Thanks for replying so quick, will be able to sleep now :)

Cant seem to pm you, your too important! Can you please pm me your details and I will call friday night for a chat and confirm when you can meet?

#20 ·
I was just thinking about data error we received so i went onto ford etis...well anyways you car was built sept 09. I was thinking i should try seeing if the ids would accept it saying pre 08??? If that makes sense haha

I tried all over avenues so that only route left

Plus ill get both my laptops charged fully lol

#21 ·
yeh, get it, its worth a try...hopefully it will work, just let me know when you are free and local again. I'm free until 4pm tomorrow and then away to Leeds and then London for a week after that...would have been really good to have it before I went as it would have saved the right foot!!

#23 ·
Hey pav mate. I was just reading up and apparently I was soo close to activating this for you...so close in fact I was there but didn't click the right thing haha

Basically they say ford got "wise" to this and blocked it. put the Russians, spannish and yanks figured that where I activated it was correct.

but I needed to trick the car into thinking the PCM is blank. when reprogramming it should ask for what features you have.

im also downloading an older version of IDS which apparently gets around this.

#24 ·
Good news hopefully!. I am away in London till Sunday but am too excited to wait till next weekend :) If your free, will pop over to your place or near after you finish work?

Also cant find that cradle between the front seats to mount a small screen your mate was talking about, can you aks him what to search for as I need it for mountind the Wii.

#25 ·
Don't want you to waste your fuel incase it don't work. But i can meet you on sunday daytime at last location or somewhere else if you want.

Can you send me a text with your reg and ill try and get hold of your as-built data.

I think im off not next week but week after. So if it doesn't we have a few days to work on it :p

Ill ask my mate about that mount

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.