How to: Replace Ford Focus Fuel Filter - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Other Car Manufacturers > Ford/Mazda/Jaguar/Land Rover
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By john_h

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-08-11, 12:13 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Exclamation How to: Replace Ford Focus Fuel Filter

Items needed:

- vinyl/latex gloves/barrier cream (to protect hands from diesel)
- New Filter
- New Rubber gasket
- Fuel can with fuel
- Cloths/rags/newspaper (to clean up spilt diesel, it will happen)

Tools needed:

- socket wrench
- small flat head screw driver (to help with small clips)

1. open bonnet, and remove plastic engine cover
2. locate fuel filter, to the right of the main part of the engine, left of the battery, under a black metal sheild.
3. using the socket wrench remove the two bolts and move out of the way
4. disconnect the electrical cables via clip that simply lifts a little and pull.
5. disconnect the 2 fuel lines:
a. the horizontal connection, use the the small screw driver to pull out the small clip inside the bigger clip. once that is out push the surrounding clip and pull on pipe. a small amount of diesel will spill here.
b. the top connection, simply squeeze the white clips and pull. again a small amount of diesel will spill.
6. pull fuel filter housing from car, may need a little shaking and pulling to free out.
7. twist the top to unscrew the lid.
8. carefully pull out the old filter and remove rubber gasket. loads of diesel is stored in here and will be pretty warm if engine has just been on.
9. Fill fuel filter housing to the brim with diesel, this will help in the bleeding process.
10. Place rubber gasket on the housing and connect new filter to the lid.
11. with lid and filter attached insert it into the housing, diesel will spill loads here so maybe best on newspaper or rags.
12. ensure rubber gasket is sat right and equal all around the edge of the housing and filter.
13. take not of the arrow on the housing and tighten lid untill arrows match...tighten as best as you can with your hands...remember its only plastic.
14. put fuel filter back in the car and reverse the instructions above to connect.
15. start the car, the car may stall at first after 10 secs but restart and it should start.

if the car does not start after 10 attempts, disconnect fuel filter and check rubber gasket and make sure housing is full of diesel.

This guide is intended for the 1.8tdci 2006 focus, it maybe used for other models. carrying this service out is entirely at owners risk. i did this on the 23/08/11 so while still fresh in my memory i thought id write up a guide to help others. Pictures will follow on an update. on a further note, please dispose of the old filter according to local waste due to diesel being classed as hazardous waste.

hope this helps

!!!READ THIS FULLY BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS/POSTS!!!

Peugot Planet Map

Used to Own:
Peugeot 307 1.6 Rapier, 4 cyl, 16V, Go-Go Juice, 5 door, 2001, blue

What Happened to My 307

Now currently Owns:
Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI, Climate Pack, 5 door, 2006, silver
john_h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-11, 09:56 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I towed one of these over a mile one night to get it to start after fitting a fuel filter. Absolute nightmare.
davidireland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-09-11, 10:07 AM   #3
Super Moderator

yeah my dad did that to mine when i first did it when i got the car...i got a right bollocking of the head mechanic at ford...apparently with this car your not suppose to tow start it, can seriously knack the engine in...

the method of brimming the fuel filter housing has worked with me everytime.

!!!READ THIS FULLY BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS/POSTS!!!

Peugot Planet Map

Used to Own:
Peugeot 307 1.6 Rapier, 4 cyl, 16V, Go-Go Juice, 5 door, 2001, blue

What Happened to My 307

Now currently Owns:
Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI, Climate Pack, 5 door, 2006, silver
john_h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.