How To: Clean Idle Control Valve - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > How To Guides > Engine
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-09-11, 11:07 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Thumbs up How To: Clean Idle Control Valve

Have you ever noticed a loud hum and/or whine (whining) coming from your engine bay? Or more specifically your intake area? Well, more often than not, this is due to a dirty IAC (Idle Air Control) Valve. Since everyone is always asking about it, hopefully this will help.

Two 10mm bolts to remove, and unclip the electricals:

Here's the dirty intake's connection with the IAC:

Turn the valve to notice two chambers. Inside one of them you will see a spring. Inside the other, you will probably see a bunch of dirt coating what should be an exposed sensor. Spray the Electrical parts cleaner liberally, directly into the opening, and watch until the liquid coming out of the valve is clear (white). Set the IAC on a towel or clean surface and allow any other liquid to drain and the sensor to fully dry. Here's a picture of a clean IAC valve (underside):

!!!READ THIS FULLY BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS/POSTS!!!

Peugot Planet Map

Used to Own:
Peugeot 307 1.6 Rapier, 4 cyl, 16V, Go-Go Juice, 5 door, 2001, blue

What Happened to My 307

Now currently Owns:
Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI, Climate Pack, 5 door, 2006, silver
john_h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-09-11, 11:09 PM   #2
Super Moderator

And don't forget to clean the sensor below the black snap off cap on the side of the IAC valve:

After allowing to dry, replace the IAC and start your truck. You should allow the engine to warm up for a few minutes and the computer will re-learn how much air to allow into the engine at idle.
I experienced a much LOUDER whine after doing this for the remainder of the day, but I only allowed the liquid to drain for about 2 minutes. The whine hasn't returned in two days since, so I'm guessing the liquid cleaner wasn't completely drained when I replaced the IAC Valve. Just a warning in case you are anxious like me

*this was taken from IAC Cleaning Idle Air Control Maintenance to help people clean their Idle Control Valve...clearly this is of a ford explorer, but the method is generic and parts will look similar etc so it could help with other makes and models. THIS IS CARRIED OUT AT OWNERS RISK ONLY*

!!!READ THIS FULLY BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS/POSTS!!!

Peugot Planet Map

Used to Own:
Peugeot 307 1.6 Rapier, 4 cyl, 16V, Go-Go Juice, 5 door, 2001, blue

What Happened to My 307

Now currently Owns:
Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI, Climate Pack, 5 door, 2006, silver
john_h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-11, 02:05 PM   #3

Default 306 high rev issue :(

Hi John_H,

This may help alot! (in fixing what I think is wrong with my 306).

I have just purchased a 1997 306 n3 xt 1.8l automatic peugeot (only 71,000 genuine km's on it). This is my first ever puegeot... My brother is a volvo guru and suggested I have a puegeot.

So when I purchased the car, the owner told me that the car stalled at lights and loses it's rev's. So I contacted the closest peugeot mechanic to me (600km away) and had the car sent there before I got it. They diagnosed a stepper motor fault and replaced the stepper motor (at a cost of $514.00AUS). Now, whilst driving it back from the puegeot garage, the car presented an issue with leaking fuel, so drove it back to the garage and they diagnosed a check valve split (it perished), so that was then replaced. After another attempt to drive home, the car presented the absolute opposite of stalling at lights (and whilst stationary etc), it now rev's up high (between 1000rpm and 3000 rpm when in neutral, park and drive). The car drives absolutely beautiful when it's not at lights etc.. Only when stationary does it do this strange high rev thing, it's almost like a ghost is in the car pushing down the accelerator.

I absolutely love the car, but am so concerned about why it is doing this, when apparently the stepper motor issue (that controls idle speed i presume) has been completely replaced and run through diagnostics and shows no signs of demise.

I would also like to note that the rev issue doesn't happen when the air con is turned up full blast (I presume it's because it takes power from the engine etc)

Any knowledge on this would be muchly appreciated. I'd be devastated if there isn't anything I could do

Thanks,
Jacqueline.
Jacqueline90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-12, 05:19 PM   #4
Bod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqueline90 View Post
Any knowledge on this would be muchly appreciated. I'd be devastated if there isn't anything I could do

Thanks,
Jacqueline.
May not be the same problem, but my last car did that.

Some times, it would rev the bejabbers out of itself when clutch in, coming to a stop.
Other times it would cut out.

It was a 2001 Focus 1.8i Zetec.

It was a common problem...the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS). I got a garage to change it for 45 quid or something all in...Job done.
Bod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-12, 07:24 PM   #5

The green temperature sensor front of engine on a 1.4 caused us major probs like yours. Revving up at standstill to 3000.No probs once changed
sterion75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-12, 12:35 AM   #6

Smile

Hey everyone, thanks again for your responses.

Just a very belated update; I finally had the issue fixed with the car. I am no mechanic so I will try and make this as easy to understand as possible.

The mechanic ended up seeing was an ex-peugeot mechanic here in Rockhampton. He replaced the stepper motor as it was "faulty", he fixed a solanoid (sp?) and tightened up the suspension. As well as this, after sharing my issues on this forum, the car busted a break line whilst driving... So the mechanic replaced that as well. Now my little pug drives like a dream, except for one small thing (that I have been able to get over), when in park or neutral, it is still idling just a little too high, also, when you turn the car off then on again quickly, the car rev's to high hell. But I have learnt to live with this, as it drives properly in traffic and isn't stalling etc.

I still haven't been able to post some pics of the little pug, but I will take some some timethis week so you can all see the culprit that gave me grief for the past few months =)

Thanks again everyone for your input/suggestions/assistance it is greatly appreciated,
Jacqueline.
Old 08-02-12, 12:58 AM   #7

jacqueline, try not to drive home anymore, seems like you end up breaking something every time you try to.
battlestar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-12, 02:38 AM   #8

That's probably some good advice... I might have jinxed the poor pug
Old 21-12-12, 10:28 AM   #9

Hi,
My 1.9 diesel expert van whines like crazy. saw this post and thought great easily sorted but can't see anything like this on my engine. Has anyone got any ideas where about to look? Does it look different on the 1.9 diesel?
lecky4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.