Peugeot Forums banner

Peugeot 206 'Engine Diagnostics warning light'

207K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  roberthomas 
#1 ·
HELP!! Sudden loss of power, then the warning light comes on. Has occasionally cut out but other times moves albeit slowly when foot is firmly on the accelerator. Been to Peugeot main dealer three times and had 1) A download (whatever that means-anybody know?) 2) A new coil pack and new plugs and leads 3) A new throttle.
Not sure whether latest 'fix' has worked as too soon to tell! Has anybody had similar problems?

#2 ·
Snoopy18 said:
HELP!! Sudden loss of power, then the warning light comes on. Has occasionally cut out but other times moves albeit slowly when foot is firmly on the accelerator. Been to Peugeot main dealer three times and had 1) A download (whatever that means-anybody know?) 2) A new coil pack and new plugs and leads 3) A new throttle.
Not sure whether latest 'fix' has worked as too soon to tell! Has anybody had similar problems?

Yeah Same happened me about a year ago. they replaced the coil pack and the dealer advised if the problem came back it would need a complete replacement of whatever the coil sits in .....my light is now back on but the car seems to be running fine for now.....

#3 ·
Snoopy18 said:

Yeah Same happened me about a year ago. they replaced the coil pack and the dealer advised if the problem came back it would need a complete replacement of whatever the coil sits in .....my light is now back on but the car seems to be running fine for now.....

#4 ·
Snoopy18 said:

A download is just an update for your cars (ecu) computer.

#5 ·
Snoopy18 said:
Yes, I have exactly the same problem with my 307 HDI. The read out indicates a problem around the ERG system (the reuse of exhaust). I have had my glowplugs, a magnetic valve and a few other things changed, but so far to no avail. My local repair workshop and a Peugoet workshop read out also indicates an unknown error code 4408. Has anybody got a good answer?

#6 ·
Snoopy18 said:

Could be no end of things,
Plugs, leads, coil(s), air temp sensor, coolant temp sensor, ECU, injector, fuel pressure regulator, etc. Oh and before somebody else says it, Head gasket.
What is the history what have they checked, have they read the fault codes?

Another thought is that it could be the manifold pressure sensor

#7 ·
I have been experiencing same problem with my 207. I am just driving along and engine totally cuts out and power steering is lost. VERY DANGEROUS, have just been lucky that no cars have been behind me as would have caused serious accident. Car has been back to Peugeot approx 5/6 times in 2 weeks and new software has been downloaded, fuel lines changed, fuel filter changed etc etc but still problem persists. After reading numerous posts on various websites about this problem beginning to wonder if Peugeot need to consider a recall before someone is seriously hurt.....

#8 ·
unhappy207owner said:
I have been experiencing same problem with my 207. I am just driving along and engine totally cuts out and power steering is lost. VERY DANGEROUS, have just been lucky that no cars have been behind me as would have caused serious accident. Car has been back to Peugeot approx 5/6 times in 2 weeks and new software has been downloaded, fuel lines changed, fuel filter changed etc etc but still problem persists. After reading numerous posts on various websites about this problem beginning to wonder if Peugeot need to consider a recall before someone is seriously hurt.....

Read this -

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3588

#9 ·
Redex

I had a similar problem with the wife's 1.1 52 plate 206. The light was on and it was running poorly for a few months. The local exhaust type garage changed the coil pack to no effect, put the old one back on and changed the spark plugs, cost £40. They recommended a diagnostic check at the dealer. Dealers report (another £40) said that it needed new spark plugs!, a coil pack, coil pack harness and a catalytic converter at a cost of £1170 but the guy suggested it was BER and should be scrapped. Took it back to the exhaust garage (good guy ex army) who said it couldn't be the plugs, was unlikely to be the catalyst but could be the coil harness or something else. They checked with another of their garages who had a Peugeot expert and the conclusion was that a lot of work could be done with no guarantee of success and they advised me to scrap the car. In Tesco that night, spotted the Redex (£3.60), added it to the petrol tank and it is running like a dream, no more problems.:) Now I have to work out how to get the light off!

#10 ·
I have the exact same problem on my 206 1.4. The light mainly flashes on and off but then now and again stays on perminent. There is also a spluttering noise through my exhaust once i reach over 20 000 rpm or 30mph and that is when the loss of power comes into it and the light comes on. Wondering if this is a serious issue or a bad batch of fuel. Struggled to gert up a small incline in second!! and on a 50 mile journey, foot flat to the floor had a maximum ov 50mph out of her!! any suggestions!?

#11 ·
2008 Peugeot 206 HDi having starting problems (not just in cold weather)

My engine light has been on the dash for a while now and I have been having problems starting the car (206 HDi) in the mornings. The coil light appears when attempting to start the car and I was told to wait for it to dissappear before starting coz the engine is cold. I would like to know is this something I'll always have to do every morning from now on? When the car does start it blows diesel from the exhaust and stains the driveway black.

Now recently it seems my batter is starting to get drained by morning. I had to jump start the car this morning as the battery was completely flat. Are these 2 problems related?

I checked the glow plugs and they are all fine. Any suggestions?

#12 ·
I have a similar problem

My car is 206, 1100CC, Petrol has the following problems:

• Fuel consumption is too high
  • At start, RPM may be too high (3000) and then decreases to (2000) OR it may vibrates between 3000 and 2000 OR it may be normal 2000 then 940
  • The engine may cut off during idle
  • During run, the car may vibrates
  • During RUN, acceleration may be lost and then it can be retained if I restart the engine
  • Check engin indicator may flashes and then no error is recorded when tested
Idle stepper motor was replaced with no use

Have you solution, Thanks in advance

#13 ·
Damp seal...

The answer could be that due to the front sloping roof and the large area of glass directing rain water to the well between the screen and the bonnet, as the drainage channel is shallow and the seal ineffective water is falling onto the plugs and instigating the EML alarm. This seems to be the problem with my 206 as the drivers side plug showed evidence of water residue. Not helped by the channel left by the air intake plate which bisects the seal above this plug.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.