bio diesel - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-04-10, 11:49 PM   #1

Default bio diesel

Hi,
can anyone tell me if I can run my 2.0 hdi on bio diesel ? many thanks , moggie
moggie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-04-10, 08:47 AM   #2

I once asked puegeot about this, heres the answer they sent me....

Thank you for your recent enquiry made via the Peugeot website.

Since 1998 Peugeot has engineered all of its HDi diesel engines to run on biofuels. This flexibility in the design of the Peugeot HDi diesel engine means that today, all current Peugeot HDi diesel engines can run on a blend of 30% vegetable oil methylester/diesel biofuel, without any modification.

Therefore with the current level of available biofuel at the UK pump being only 5%, Peugeot again demonstrates its forward thinking in respect to environmental issues. Fuel quality for bio-diesel and for diesel fuel must conform to European fuel norms EN14214 and EN590.

You vehicle will be required to be serviced according to the arduous conditions as detailed in the service handbook and the fuel held in the vehicle tank must be used within 3 months maximum.

However i've still not tried, and my local morrisons has stopped selling it now!
karl mcghee likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stubbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-04-10, 01:49 PM   #3

Smile biofuel

thanks stubbo for reply,
Will look into were I can buy the fuel from in my area and wondering how much they charge per litre, may not be worth it anyway.
moggie
moggie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 23-04-10, 02:35 PM   #4

The local morrisons was selling B30 but it was the same price as diesel, didnt see the point in potentially messing up the car if i got no benefit!

Keep us posted if you find any and results from using it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stubbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-10, 01:36 PM   #5

From Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiesel
Quote:
Biodiesel can be used in pure form (B100) or may be blended with petroleum diesel at any concentration in most injection pump diesel engines. New extreme high pressure (29,000 psi) common rail engines have strict factory limits of B5 or B20 depending on manufacturer. Biodiesel has different solvent properties than petrodiesel, and will degrade natural rubber gaskets and hoses in vehicles (mostly vehicles manufactured before 1992), although these tend to wear out naturally and most likely will have already been replaced with FKM, which is nonreactive to biodiesel. Biodiesel has been known to break down deposits of residue in the fuel lines where petrodiesel has been used. As a result, fuel filters may become clogged with particulates if a quick transition to pure biodiesel is made. Therefore, it is recommended to change the fuel filters on engines and heaters shortly after first switching to a biodiesel blend.
PureJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16-11-10, 01:30 PM   #6

Default bio diesel

hi folks
being a right skin flint i have tried bio diesel in all of my diesel cars with various results.
i have found that with the 407 hdi it will run on about 50% bio around the town where you dont really put a lot of strain on the engine so it runs well.
the problems come with motorway travel when i have found that the car doesnt like to have over 10% bio or you will find a very marked lack of performance and you will find that on gradual uphill travel the car will slow down considerably.
hope this helps anyone wanting to try bio diesel.
by the way i make my own bio diesel so i know its a consistant mix.
cheers
mark
markjack411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21-04-11, 10:38 AM   #7

Default Hi Mark Jack

Hi, I would like ask you about biodiesel...I got methanol and sodium hydroxide a and used veggie oil...I tried 1liter oil and 2.2dcl methanol and one small coffee spoon of sodium hydroxide...and after few hours I got result at the bottom of bottle was Glycerine.The biodiesel I had clear bud brown is it correct?I think that should be kind of green. How can I find that colour si correct or my biodiesel it is ok...
Just one think I didn't heat the oil just filtrated and than mixed Na Oh+Methanol ..After that mixed about 3minutes with oil...
I would like to do 100l oil for second time but still I am not sure if is correct my step
Can you tell me how is your steps?
I have peugeot 406Hdi 2000year.

Thank You Lubo from Slovakia
lubo.k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21-04-11, 02:26 PM   #8

Make Biofuel | Make Biodiesel at Home A pretty good guide.
Old 21-04-11, 08:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubo.k View Post
Hi, I would like ask you about biodiesel...I got methanol and sodium hydroxide a and used veggie oil...I tried 1liter oil and 2.2dcl methanol and one small coffee spoon of sodium hydroxide...and after few hours I got result at the bottom of bottle was Glycerine.The biodiesel I had clear bud brown is it correct?I think that should be kind of green. How can I find that colour si correct or my biodiesel it is ok...
Just one think I didn't heat the oil just filtrated and than mixed Na Oh+Methanol ..After that mixed about 3minutes with oil...
I would like to do 100l oil for second time but still I am not sure if is correct my step
Can you tell me how is your steps?
I have peugeot 406Hdi 2000year.

Thank You Lubo from Slovakia
hi there
i think you will find that the mix has to be heated toabout 60 deg Centigrade to get a proper reaction,also once heated you need to do a titration test to find out how much sodium hydroxide is needed to properly react the mix.
then afterwards it will need to be seperated from the glycerol and water filtered or put through a dry resin filter.
if i remember correctly if you look on the webpage of "journey to forever"
you will find a wealth of information which is how i started and have to date made approx 7000ltrs.
hope this helps.
mark

Last edited by markjack411; 22-04-11 at 01:03 PM.
markjack411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21-04-11, 10:40 PM   #10

What does the cost work out at per litre?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.