407 brake performance - Page 3 - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-13, 03:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
If the pedal is going to the floor you have a leak somewhere and air in the system. The fluid in the hydraulic system does not compress noticeably when set up correctly.

I suggest you check the seals on the callipers and also the master cylinder.

If the pedal stays hard then the type and condition of the pads and disks will affect the braking performance. Good disks and good quality pad will work best in most conditions even if the disk is on the hot side.

Disks, callipers and pads can be bought for reasonable sums of a popular auction site or good motor factors.

I have just done an overhaul on a 406 and the overall cost was reasonable. Cleaning up the ABS sensors also cured my intermittent ABS fault.
I doubt that there is any air in the system as I have just bled over a litre of fluid through the system to swap the fluid and she has recently had discs and pads hence why I'm a bit puddled also the fluid level is staying the same so no leak. I don't get brake fade so the pads n discs are reasonable quality just stumped with poor performance of the brakes
Advertisement

Old 12-04-13, 03:18 PM   #22

I'll try to make a video showing how the pedal is moving down after initially coming to an halt on mine. The effect is actually quite severe, just did some testing before I started my drive home from work.
B1ack__Mi16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-13, 07:35 PM   #23

Ok guys, not the best quality on this but take a look at this:

Pressing pedal on my 2.0 HDi, there's something odd, pedal definately moves for a long time after I press it. (btw just ignore the extra pedal set, mine used to be a driving instructor car):

On my dads 2.0 petrol it does also have a fair bit of movement but it stabilizes and do not use much time before it stops.

I'll drop by the dealer tomorrow and see if they have time to just take some time to feel how the brakes are and give a comment.
Old 13-04-13, 09:17 AM   #24

Btw. to clear up.

If I push the pedal without engine running it is quite stiff and it does not continue to move after it has found it's equilibrium.
Old 13-04-13, 02:35 PM   #25

Default update

Ok so just got back from kwik split and after a good check of the system with all wheels off and micrometers etc etc the official diagnosis is " I'm sorry sir but you have been driving a car with a far superior braking system than your peugeot!" Hhhmmmm they also told me that high pressure diesels can have brake peddle creep! I find this a bit strange but slightly reassuring and after popping to shops etc the 407 and a bit of running around the brakes feel fine again I suppose its all in my head. Still a bit concerned over the brake peddle creep David is this something I should be concerned about do u think? Anyway if anything else appears ill let you all know.Black MI16how did you get on with asking the your local strealers about your peddle creep?
Old 13-04-13, 03:47 PM   #26

My dealer didn't seem to be too clever answering technical question (no mechanics or tech people there today), but they at least said that it is not unnormal with slight pedal creep on new cars.

What that means I'm not sure about, I think mine is creeping quite fast ref. the video I posted.

My dad's car definately has a different pedal feeling, but brakes are all the same.

But yes, do a serach for diesel brake pedal creep, and it seem like most car makes got this "feature"...
Old 14-04-13, 07:41 PM   #27

My 407s brake pedal will creep right down to the floor if you maintain the pressure but once the engine is turned off and i've pressed the pedal a few times to release the vacuum it goes solid with no creep.
another 407 hdi i've driven and my dads vivaro do exactly the same.
all i've checked for leaks and the brake fluid is clean with none of the telltale black shite in the reservoir.

my 407 has done it as long as i had it and the vivaro has always done it from new.

i don't think it's an issue and it's just how they are.
chris407 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.