Potential rear axle issue? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 405
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-04-16, 08:09 PM   #1

Question Potential rear axle issue?

When buying the 405 I was sure to check that the rear axle wasn't showing any signs of failure, as I know they were a big issue on these models, and was satisfied that it was fine.

However, I was washing the car today and noticed that the rear wheels seem to be a bit too far back and don't sit in the middle of the wheel arch... There is definitely a smaller gap between the tyre and the rear of the arch than there is the front.

Please tell me this isn't a sign my rear axle is finally giving out? It does click from time to time going over bumps in the road, but I had convinced myself that the clicking could just be the struts or maybe even just the exhaust hitting the chassis (deluding myself, I know).

Firstly getting a new axle or axle components will be like finding hens teeth and secondly the MOT expires at the end of May so I'm worried if there is an issue it would cause a failure.

Thankfully although the 405 is our daily driver at the moment (due to the fuel economy), we do have another car so it isn't the end of the world if it does need repairs, I'm more concerned about not physically being able to repair it if parts are obsolete.

Lastly, just to say that it currently has a full tank of diesel and does have quite a lot of crap in the boot weighing it down - it isn't as bad as that when it's less laden and lower on fuel.
Attached Thumbnails
wp_20160413_19_05_21_pro.jpg  

Last edited by 405Scotsman; 13-04-16 at 08:13 PM.
405Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-04-16, 08:43 PM   #2

Does look a little odd - I'd check your axle mounts first.

If you do have to go down a new axle route in the future you can fit one from a partner/berlingo with some very minor mods.
Take a look here: Fitting Partner / Berlingo Beam Onto 405. - Brakes, Suspension & Steering - Articles - Articles - Home Page
ash1293 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 13-04-16, 08:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash1293 View Post
Does look a little odd - I'd check your axle mounts first.

If you do have to go down a new axle route in the future you can fit one from a partner/berlingo with some very minor mods.
Take a look here: Fitting Partner / Berlingo Beam Onto 405. - Brakes, Suspension & Steering - Articles - Articles - Home Page
Will do! I don't have any off road parking to allow me to jack the car up and check, but when it comes to the MOT I'll have a local independent mechanic check it out, and if necessary he could do any works for a decent rate if I supply the parts. It's good to know that a Berlingo/Partner axle would essentially work, as I can't see those going obsolete for a good few years yet given how many are still on the road. I'd go as far as to actually "stock pile" a few of them within the next 5-10 years and keep them in storage so that the 405 (and any future 405s I buy) will be safe-guarded against this failure for the rest of their lives.

If the original axles lasted 20 years then a replacement should last at least 10-15, hopefully. Having a classic 405 as a daily driver is a bit risky these days, but the parts are out there, you just have to be able to find them and do slight modifications.

Last edited by 405Scotsman; 13-04-16 at 09:00 PM.

Old 14-04-16, 04:06 PM   #4

Get your mechanic to have a good look at the main sub frame mountings.
Big square metelastic pads,two bolts to the frame and one to the body.The middle pulls through whole axle can move about.
The "Berlingo Mod" is interesting,but remember it would be a second hand axle so may be as good as the one your removing?
I`ve used these guys many times for Peugeot Axles.Complete recon` unit delivered to your door. A B Axles | Reconditioned and Refurbished Peugeot & Citroen Rear Axles | Refurbished Citroen and Peugeot Rear Axles
Old Pug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 14-04-16, 04:56 PM   #5

I agree looks like axle mounts rather than axle itself but recon axles are getting cheap now and as it is indeed similar to berlingo it can still be done
Old 15-04-16, 12:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Pug View Post
Get your mechanic to have a good look at the main sub frame mountings.
Big square metelastic pads,two bolts to the frame and one to the body.The middle pulls through whole axle can move about.
The "Berlingo Mod" is interesting,but remember it would be a second hand axle so may be as good as the one your removing?
I`ve used these guys many times for Peugeot Axles.Complete recon` unit delivered to your door. A B Axles | Reconditioned and Refurbished Peugeot & Citroen Rear Axles | Refurbished Citroen and Peugeot Rear Axles
Thanks for the link, I'll definitely enquire as that would be very useful if they had a 405 axle. It is good that they take your old one and refurbish that to be used in another 405, rather than just throwing it in the scrap-yard.

I think I'll stick it in for the MOT test first and see what comes back. Don't want to be spending money when it may still pass the MOT, and then I could get the work done at a later date when I've had time to save up.

Last edited by 405Scotsman; 15-04-16 at 01:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.