Peugeot Forums banner

Footwell Lights Information

48K views 98 replies 16 participants last post by  Krume 
#1 ·
So a while back I was looking at fitting some lights in the footwell, as I quite liked them when I test drove the car originally, however mine is an active spec so it doesnt have them...

Back then I was sure I had checked everywhere down there and could not find a loom for the lights, even though the footwell has the rectangle cut out that the lights fit into.

Anyway, I ran a cable down from the interior light, and was just starting to fit them today, and I have found a loom in each footwell that was unused! It looked a lot like the standard bulb holder loom, so I stuck a voltmeter on it, and it works in time with the interior light as best as I can tell. I removed the glove box light unit, and attached it to the loom, and it worked fine, so now I am fairly certain that I can use it.

So now I am at a crossroads, not sure whether to fit the OEM units, or these LED bars that I have purchased. I think I will put the standard ones in, and if they are not bright enough, I will put the LED bars in.

I was just wondering if anyone with the footwell lights could answer a couple of questions for me though.

1) How bright are they, the bulb holders are right in the corner, so im not sure how much light they will create.

2) Do they come on at all when you are driving, ie with the dash lighting, as im not sure i would like that...

Thanks for any help! Paul

By the way this is on a 2014 308 1.6 Diesel Active... But i suppose someone with a Allure / GT Line / GT will have to answer the questions

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for letting me know, so I guess they come on with the Dashlights / Button illumination?

I have a red car, so was thinking about red led's, in fact, I even purchased red LED bars.

I will see what they look like when I have the standard fitted, I may even still put the red led bars in.

#5 ·
For me they're too dull, can barely see them, can't see the point of them if you can't notice them. Im thinking of converting to LED's for a bit extra brightness. The ones I had on my Superb could be adjusted for brightness so they would suit everyone. No such luck with the Pug. As above they come on when the lights are on. If I remember correctly, I'm sure they brighten when the doors are opened.

#8 ·
Well I have put the LED's in today, in the right brackets.

Haven't had chance to play properly but they definitely come on with the doors open.

Will have to see later if they also come on as 'Ambient lighting'. I'm not sure I will have the option to Dim them in the settings menu as they did not come standard. Last time I tried to change settings using Diagbox the BSI appeared to be locked. Might have to have a play later.

I dont suppose you know where in the settings you could dim the LED's?

#9 ·
In my Allure the instrument lighting dimmer also controls the footwell lighting brightness.

Switching on the sidelights/headlights also switches on the footwells and they illuminate to the brightness set for the instruments. They go to full brightness when the door is opened.

#12 · (Edited)
Here's the 5X White LED in my 308:

The 5X White (in the type I have) is plenty bright enough. I tried a 9X White but it didn't dim down sufficiently for night driving on poorly lit roads.

The 9X Coloured though I found fine as they are not so distracting when dimmed but give a nice full colour when the door is opened.

Al.

PS: I'm still tempted to refit the 9X Blue as they do look good.

Attachments

#13 ·
OK, so I noticed on the way home last night that they only come on when the door is open, which is fine for now.

When I get chance, I am going to have a play with diagbox and see if I can enable the Ambient Lighting (Mood Lighting) Modules.

I have read in the service manual for my car, that the Ambient lighting also turns the Map reading lights on dim. Is that correct? It also suggests that some models have lights in the inner door handles too?

#14 · (Edited)
Hi Paul, my Allure has two very small LED lights that come on when the side/main lights are on.

They are by the side of the map reading lights and give a low ambient light.

I do not have the interior door handle illumination on my model, but I quite fancy them. Shame they weren't offered as an extra.

The Emergency SOS (red) and the Breakdown Assistance (white) buttons also illuminate if you have that feature fitted.

Al.

#16 ·
Thanks for the photo, You beat me to it, was going to ask.

Well I am going to see if I can enable the Ambient light settings in Diagbox, and If I can, I may look at adding the extra bits, but they aren't that important to me, so not sure when.

The footwel lights look good, not that bright when I open the door, but they are only cheap LED's until the ones you have suggested arrive on Wednesday!

#17 ·
:thumb:

The 9X are excellent for footwell illumination when you open the door so if you don't get them working with the dimmer then I'd go for them.

Unfortunately I didn't think they dimmed sufficiently at night.

The 5X seem to be the best compromise for my personal settings.

Al.

#18 ·
OK, so i managed to get some options visible using diagbox 7.44, and have made some changes, and I now have Ambient lighting :thumb:

However, there are a few bugs I need to iron out. I don't know whether its the cheap LED's I have installed (still waiting for the ones you reccomended) or a setting that needs changing, but they do not appear to dim with my interior lights...

I noticed in the BSI settings, under the 'Lighting and Signalling' section, there were about 3 options, these may not be exactly correct but they were along the lines of:

1) Ambient light feature (Absent/Present)
2) Ambient light feature with changeable voltage (Yes/No) (Dont seem to be able to change this one)
3) Ambient light brightness control (One Button / Two Button / Menu / None) (I have tried various options here to try and get them to Dim, no luck. I have left it as 1 button for now, as that is how I adjust my dash light brightness. I fogure menu brings it up on the Smeg+, However it did not show when I set it, which makes me think you need to program it on the Smeg+. However, any options I try to make in here require me to connect to an authentication server :mad:)

I guess I need to grab the settings from a working config to get this running.

I have noticed I have the small holes in the Interior light fitting for the Ambient light LED's, however there is no chance I am putting them in, until I know I can dim them!

The good news here at least, is that there are SOME options that you can change on a new 308, which I did not believe to be the case after my first attempt.

#22 · (Edited)
Not all LEDs are dimmable. May be worth checking with the supplier to get confirmation they are dimmable prior to ordering.

The ones I've used in my footwells are, and they dim down nicely to about 40% brightness.

It does not depend how you have the instruments dimmer set.

I found the 9X bright white were not dimmed enough; hence I went for the 5X bright white.

9X coloured I found good though and they dimmed well.

#23 ·
Ok, So I have noticed that the LED's do dim down when the door is closed and engine is on.

However they do not appear to change when I change the Dashboard Lighting Brightness, but this is not so bad, as they are just about the right level anyway.

I have the same 5 x LED's that you have in your foot wells Allan and they work perfectly. :thumb:

I am going to take the interior light out today, and see if there is anywhere obvious to install / connect the LED's up there for the Ambient light. I fear they may be a strange size / shape though due to location!

As for the ones in the door, I am fairly certain I cannot see any holes ready for LED's? Perhaps I can have a better look if you get that photo up Craig? :D

If the cables aren't in the door for the Ambient light, I will not likely bother, as I don't like running my own cables into the door for waterproofing reasons. I won't know for a while, as even if I have the holes ready for the LED's, I will likely look into it as I replace the speakers just after Christmas.

#24 · (Edited)
I've just been down to check mine and found that:

In daylight the footwell LEDs come on full brightness when the door is opened and fade to off along with the front and rear interior lights.

They switch on to about 40% brightness when the side/main lights are turned on and come up full if the door is opened, dimming again when it's closed.

They do not vary in brightness though with the instruments dimmer control!!

It must have been the effect of the other interior fascia/front lighting dimming that made me think they also dimmed by varying degrees. Testing them in the darkness of my garage showed that they dimmed from 100% to about 40% and stayed there until the door was opened or the exterior lighting was switched off.

#26 ·
:D...yes a very good job in fact. :thumb:

Sorry I didn't double-check a bit sooner.

Re the interior courtesy lamps cluster: Mine were already LEDs otherwise I would have changed them. :thumb:

Unfortunately there is no information in the hand book regarding replacing LEDs at all.

Al.

#28 ·
Driving Assistance Menu? Don't think I have seen that one!

I have made some progress on the Interior Dome Light Ambient Light, it looks like it could be easy, but I will struggle without the right part numbers!

Here is what I found!

You take the Dome light out of the roof by pulling down starting closest to the windscreen. Unclip all of the wires and it will come loose.

There are four clips that you need to depress and the plastic cover will come off allowing you access to the standard bulbs:

In this next picture you can see the holes that the LED's 'shine' through in the dome light fixture.

It looks like the LED's sit on the frame that provides power to the main bulbs, as there is a small recess with a springy piece of metal you can see here.

Here is a close up of the recessed area:

Now of course this is all speculation as of course mine doesn't have the LED's as standard.

Now this is a big ask, but perhaps next time someone is doing any work with the dome light / LED's they could check if my findings are correct? Any maybe even snap a photo / part number of the LED itself?

#52 ·
Driving Assistance Menu? Don't think I have seen that one!

I have made some progress on the Interior Dome Light Ambient Light, it looks like it could be easy, but I will struggle without the right part numbers!

Here is what I found!

You take the Dome light out of the roof by pulling down starting closest to the windscreen. Unclip all of the wires and it will come loose.

There are four clips that you need to depress and the plastic cover will come off allowing you access to the standard bulbs:

In this next picture you can see the holes that the LED's 'shine' through in the dome light fixture.

It looks like the LED's sit on the frame that provides power to the main bulbs, as there is a small recess with a springy piece of metal you can see here.

Here is a close up of the recessed area:

Now of course this is all speculation as of course mine doesn't have the LED's as standard.

Now this is a big ask, but perhaps next time someone is doing any work with the dome light / LED's they could check if my findings are correct? Any maybe even snap a photo / part number of the LED itself?
Hi Paul, I have the same Ultimate Red Active Spec 308. I would like to change the doom lights to be white light. I realised that the main bulb in the middle is a standart t10 or a w5w light, but I wonder the left and right bulbs on the sides of the main bulb are the same or not?

I am asking this because the white light used in Allure spec. is around 2£, so it would be nice if the side bulbs are the same fitting with the middle one.

Thanks...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.