Windscreen washer - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-05-10, 10:20 AM   #1
jet

Default Windscreen washer

Hello all,

I've searched for this already, but can't find the exact problem that I have.
Basically the front windscreen washer does not work. Back one works fine on twist of stalk. When I pull the stalk towards me, nothing happens, no spray, no wiper action.
Have checked the 10amp fuse under the bonnet and all ok.

I guess it's down to 2 things, stalk or pump.
Can anyone suggest the most likely culprit and way of identification before I jack up the car and remove the inner arch to get at the pump?

many thanks

james.
jet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-05-10, 10:24 AM   #2
Super Moderator

operate the front wipers as normal, if it works the wipers are fine and leaves the stalk at fault.

as on that stalk there are 2 internal slider switches, 1 for the pull feature for wash could be busted leaving the other, which is wiper speed. the end of the stalk is done by ribbon or pcb.

!!!READ THIS FULLY BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS/POSTS!!!

Peugot Planet Map

Used to Own:
Peugeot 307 1.6 Rapier, 4 cyl, 16V, Go-Go Juice, 5 door, 2001, blue

What Happened to My 307

Now currently Owns:
Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI, Climate Pack, 5 door, 2006, silver

Last edited by john_h; 21-05-10 at 10:26 AM.
john_h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21-05-10, 10:42 AM   #3
jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cck2k9
operate the front wipers as normal, if it works the wipers are fine and leaves the stalk at fault.

as on that stalk there are 2 internal slider switches, 1 for the pull feature for wash could be busted leaving the other, which is wiper speed. the end of the stalk is done by ribbon or pcb.
Yeah the wipers work fine as normal.
Just wondered if the motor feeding the front windscreen might have gone, with the ecu detecting this and not operating the wipers.

Sounds much like the stalk should be the first port of investigation. Is this a tricky job.

thanks for the fast reply
Old 21-05-10, 10:56 AM   #4
Super Moderator

basically the steering wheel needs to be taken off, which includes airbag (if fitted) old comm 2000 unit removed, new one put on (looking at about 150 for low range 307 new up to 180 for top range - alot cheaper on flebay) calibrated for the car, so you will need either the dealer, or someone with planet in you location.

i wouldnt go diving into it just yet, as you could be correct in thinking the ECU is detecting the faulty washer motor. but with that thinking couldnt the ECU see that you have no water in the bottle and stop it from pumping :P mine just pumps no matter if water is there or not. (this is highly unlikely)

Peugot Planet Map

Used to Own:

What Happened to My 307

Now currently Owns:
Old 21-05-10, 11:08 AM   #5
jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cck2k9
basically the steering wheel needs to be taken off, which includes airbag (if fitted) old comm 2000 unit removed, new one put on (looking at about 150 for low range 307 new up to 180 for top range - alot cheaper on flebay) calibrated for the car, so you will need either the dealer, or someone with planet in you location.

i wouldnt go diving into it just yet, as you could be correct in thinking the ECU is detecting the faulty washer motor. but with that thinking couldnt the ECU see that you have no water in the bottle and stop it from pumping :P mine just pumps no matter if water is there or not. (this is highly unlikely)
Yuck, seems like nothing is simple to do on modern cars!
Think I'll have a go at the washer motor first then.
I would think that the ecu could detect a duff motor via open circuit or incorrect resistence under operation, which i think is how most sensor/component failures are detected, although this is just a guess. No water would still show as correct operation electronically speaking. I know that there was always a delay on operating the washers before the wipers would kick in, but that could just have been the stalk on the way out!

What's a comm2000 unit and why would it need replacing? I've taken off steering wheels with airbags before and normally it's just a battery disconnect and airbag lead unplug job (but this was a long time ago!). Just realised I forgot to put up the car details. It's a 2005 pre facelift 1.4hdi S 4 door.

Again, ta for info
Old 21-05-10, 11:28 AM   #6
Super Moderator

yeah good point coming to think of it but with mine there is a like a 1-2 second delay from the water hitting my windscreen to when the wipers move. so it sounds like a timer circuit, so this sounds the norm. so even with the washer pump duffed, the timer should still activate and so should the wipers, in my theory anyway. one way to test is to take a multimeter to the signal cables for the motor and see if you get a reading, if not its not being activated by the stalk theres the fault, but if there is signal/power, motor is to blame and possibly a cheaper fix

comm2000 unit is the unit behind the steering wheel, that helps control: the indicators, lights, horn, airbag, wipers, washers, trip computer, audio stalk, cruise control etc. this will need to be replaced as a 1er, hence the cost by itself. going to peugeot stealership to fit and calibrate it is a little short of ridiculus in terms of cost. this is standard on most modern peugeots/citroens - to what i beleive anyways.

hope his helps, even in the slightest

edit: i am going to look up the wiring diagram for this to double check everything and see how it works.

Peugot Planet Map

Used to Own:

What Happened to My 307

Now currently Owns:
Old 21-05-10, 11:56 AM   #7
jet

Ah ok, well mine used to have this exact same delay, so I guess this is normal. Still don't understand why the com2000 unit would need replacing though. If it's just the stalk then why not just replace that and keep the same unit, or is the stalk somehow linked to the unit?

cheers
(and yes it is very helpful thanks )
Old 21-05-10, 11:59 AM   #8
Super Moderator

the stalk is integral to the unit, that and it is very difficult to just get the stalk. it is possible to do what your after, but you have to get the same model and variety (there are many), so tbh i would just buy a new or second hand (working unit) fit it myself and get someone in the area with peugeot planet to calibrate it, save yourself a furtune.

Peugot Planet Map

Used to Own:

What Happened to My 307

Now currently Owns:
Old 21-05-10, 12:54 PM   #9
jet

Just looked at these things on ebay, can't believe how much they are and have to buy the whole unit! Pretty much decides it, i'll have a look at the motor first. Tricky job but not as bad as the stalk!

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.
Old 21-05-10, 01:12 PM   #10
Super Moderator

between 10 and 20 for the pump, probably the most logical place to start, hope you get it fixed anyways. keeps us posted

Peugot Planet Map

Used to Own:

What Happened to My 307

Now currently Owns:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.