Peugeot Forums

Peugeot Forums (http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/)
-   307 (http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/307-38/)
-   -   Temperature too high, STOP (http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/307-38/temperature-too-high-stop-32044/)

davidireland 23-06-13 03:01 PM

Have you ever heard of a coolant temperature sensor?

mungis 23-06-13 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidireland (Post 181809)
Have you ever heard of a coolant temperature sensor?

Yep.. handy little bit of kit !

Can Warn you if your thermostat is faulty...amongst other things.

bubblebobble 23-06-13 03:37 PM

Ok,
so when I spoke to peugeot they mentioned this upgraded stat.
So I believe this is the one without the sensor for the ecu then?
Also I see its rated at 105c, is this the same as the one with the sensor?
Also would a software update be needed for the new one?

sounds really too bloody complicated to me.

Seems we have lots of knowledgable people here so what do I do?

I would bet peugeot dont supply the stat with the ecu sensor on now, thats the impression I got from them, hence the software question.

Help!

mungis 23-06-13 04:56 PM

hi bubble

it seems that we all agree that your thermostat could be and probably is faulty.
The wires coming from the housing are temperature sender wires, which send info to the ECU.
Unfortunately it seems that Peugeot can now supply 2 types of housing, but probably both would cost the same....but i would stick with what you have in at the minute.
I would suggest going to a decent MOTOR FACTORS for the part, and buying
like for like, that way you will not complicate things further. and if its local you can take it back if its wrong.
My idea with the holes was an attempt to check that it was defo the Thermostat. which wouldnt have mattered if you were going to bin it in a weeks time.

Dave is obviously well up on peugeot stuff,... but my head argues with the concept of the ECU commanding the thermost to open when it is usually the wax expanding with the heat which opens it..... but i was wrong once before ..1967 i think it was ..Ha ha

bubblebobble 23-06-13 07:32 PM

Well, thermostat out ready for replacement.
I thought I would dismantle this thing.

My thoughts are that maybe the ecu sensor bit supplies a 12v current to the wax capsule and melts it as a failsafe .That would make sense I guess.
Or does the ecu measure both temp sensors and compare the difference if its too much then it cuts the car or something?

Anyway decided not to test with the holes because I would have to refill the coolant and bleed it all again . I am replacing it anyway.

I still have one question that hasnt been answered though:

Why does the stat open at 105c, that seems awfully high when normally 89c seems the middle of the road.

davidireland 23-06-13 07:36 PM

I have since looked up the wiring diagram for the controlled thermostat on the EW7A engine and it not a temperature sensor but a switch. The coolant temp sensor is fitted on the water outlet housing.

mungis 23-06-13 09:24 PM

this looks like what you need, but its for a HDI.
THERMOSTAT HOUSING FOR PEUGEOT 307 407 2.0HDI 1336X1 r | eBay

INCLUDES:
ONE THERMOSTAT HOUSING
THERMOSTAT
TEMPERATURE SENSOR
RUBBER GAS KIT

However the number you gave before generates a 105 degree version made by Gates
1338 E4,PEUGEOT 1338E4 Coolant Thermostat for CITRO?N,PEUGEOT

All a bit frustrating, ......but let us know if replacing it helps solve the problem, as i am looking at a similar prob.

mungis

bubblebobble 24-06-13 04:39 AM

Ok, going to order a stat today.
Will try gsf or pug first.

But what I don't get is why it is a 105deg stat?
I see it like this,
The temp gauge centre is 90c , now the temp sensor sees 100c and goes to the bottom of the red then 105c takes it into the red and triggers the warnings, stat opens and all is fine again.

So why 105c, surely 89ish would do the trick much better.
This is why I ask if there was a software update to fool the temp sensor not trigger the warnings.

davidireland 24-06-13 05:54 AM

There is no software update for this. Just fit the new modified stat, blank the electrical conmector and bleed the system. Sorted. I have loads of them fitted. A new top rad hose comes with the stat but you don't need it.

mungis 24-06-13 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubblebobble (Post 182745)
Ok, going to order a stat today.
Will try gsf or pug first.

But what I don't get is why it is a 105deg stat?
I see it like this,
The temp gauge centre is 90c , now the temp sensor sees 100c and goes to the bottom of the red then 105c takes it into the red and triggers the warnings, stat opens and all is fine again.

So why 105c, surely 89ish would do the trick much better.
This is why I ask if there was a software update to fool the temp sensor not trigger the warnings.

Bubble
As you are probably aware the boiling point of water is 100 deg cent at sea level atmospheric pressure.
However when it is contained under sealed pressure it boils at a higher temp.. so 105deg is acheivable. and probably makes for more efficient running
I personally would prefer the 90 degree opening temp Stat on an older car where hoses etc are aged, although the engine will probably run at well over 105 degrees and controlled by the radiator cap.

The upgraded version could be a fix by peugeot to stop the Warning lights coming on .. ??