Economy Mode Active - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-07-11, 01:03 PM   #1
JDS

Default Economy Mode Active

Hey there,

I just got my hands on a 2008 Peugeot 307 SW 1.6hdi 110hp.
There is one thing that has been a bit bit of a nuisance right from the start. When I turn on the ignition (key to position 2) the MFD returns the rather cryptic message "Economy Mode Active". I am unable to open the Windows, operate the wipers or turn on the radio until the engine is running. (It starts without any problems.)

I've checked the battery which gives me a solid 12.7V and also attempted a BSI reset according to these instructions, all to no avail. I am pretty sure it was successful though because I had to set the time and date again.

I do have a copy of the Peugeot Planet software and I'm trying to find a cheap source for the Lexia interface cable.

Until I can readout the error codes is there anyone out there who has some ideas about what else I could try?

Many Thanks,

JDS
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-07-11, 01:14 PM   #2
Super Moderator

That will go away when you start car its a battery saver function in case you leave lights or radio on.
bettyswollocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24-07-11, 01:38 PM   #3
JDS

Hi Betty,
it does go away once the engine is running, but if I remember correctly it should only come on after 30min of ignition on with the engine off. It should be possible to move at least the windows and use the radio when the engine is not running. (e.g. if I wanted to clean the car right where it stood with windows down, I shouldn't have to start the engine just to operate them)
The few threads I browsed before posting all had a similar problem, but for most of them the engine didn't start, which thankfully isn't a problem in my case.

Nevertheless, this could be just another one of the many French oddities when it comes to car design, so I stand to be corrected.

Best wishes,

JDS
Old 24-07-11, 04:46 PM   #4

It doesn't allow you 30mins time - I definitely don't get that with my 407. Reading the attached, its a total time of 30mins, so if radio and lights are on then that reduces the time to 15mins. It may let you run the radio for 30mins, but it doesn't mean you can switch it on up to 30mins after engine switch-off. Until the economy mode is displayed on the screen, then all the wipers and windows will still work. Have you read the attached section of the handbook?
Attached Thumbnails
economy.jpg  
Old 24-07-11, 08:06 PM   #5
JDS

Found the section in the operating manual, but thanks for scanning it. To keep it simple:
When you get in your 407 just to lower the windows, you turn on the iginiton (first detent on the key) and then push the button. You don't need to start the engine to do that. This is the behaviour I would expect in any car. Peugeot should be the same, checked it on a 107 and a 406.
My 307 doesn't do that, ignition on and I immediately get economy mode. No windows, no radio, no wipers... So everytime I want to lower or raise the windows for whatever reason I need to start the engine and that is definitely not normal behaviour.

cheers

JDS
Old 24-07-11, 08:21 PM   #6
Super Moderator

No that is not normal , you have a power drain somewhere.
bettyswollocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24-07-11, 10:14 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Its totally down to the BSI. For eg for 30min driving you might get 5min before eco mode avtivates.
There is a way around it by configuring the BSI. If i could remember now that would be of help.
davidireland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-07-11, 01:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post
Found the section in the operating manual, but thanks for scanning it. To keep it simple:
When you get in your 407 just to lower the windows, you turn on the iginiton (first detent on the key) and then push the button. You don't need to start the engine to do that. This is the behaviour I would expect in any car. Peugeot should be the same, checked it on a 107 and a 406.
My 307 doesn't do that, ignition on and I immediately get economy mode. No windows, no radio, no wipers... So everytime I want to lower or raise the windows for whatever reason I need to start the engine and that is definitely not normal behaviour.

cheers

JDS
Hi, 2 options i could think of, either
your battery is faulty( Try to borrow a good battery from somewhere and try with it ) or
it's a configuration issue, probably set to "show room" mode, in which case you will planet to sort it

Regards

Last edited by m3mpower; 26-07-11 at 01:18 AM.
m3mpower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-07-11, 09:12 AM   #9
JDS

Thanks everyone,

I do have a hunch that it has to do with the programming of the BSI. I noticed that if I had the engine running and didn't remove the key from the ignition, it works as it should. (turned key all the way to off and then forward again one notch) This would probably rule out any power drain or battery issue.
I guess I'll just have to wait until I can get a hold of a Lexia interface and readout the electronic configuration of the car.

Thanks again to everyone and I will let you what the outcome is.

JDS

Last edited by JDS; 26-07-11 at 11:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 26-07-11, 11:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post
Thanks everyone,

I do have a hunch that it has to do with the programming of the BSI. I noticed that if I had the engine running and didn't remove the key from the ignition, it works as it should. (turned key all the way to off and then forward again one notch) This would probably rule out any power drain or battery issue.
I guess I'll just have to wait until I can get hold of a Lexia interface and readout the electronic configuration of the car.

Thanks again to everyone and I will let you one what the outcome is.

JDS
Hi, this information confirms that it is a configuration of the BSi issue, if you leave the ignition ON the system will not switch to economy mode, as long as the battery voltage stays over 12.1V..
This setting is easily changed but you will need Lexia

Regards
m3mpower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.