The "Catalytic Converter Fault" Error!.... - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-10, 11:31 AM   #1

Default The "Catalytic Converter Fault" Error!....

It's clear from looking on the internet (carsurvey.org/reviews/peugeot/307/r33972/comments) this is a common problem with the 307s. It's a shame Peugeot can't even acknowledge they messed up!

I have a 307 here on a 53 plate. It has the "catalytic converter fault" on the dash screen, and the engine management light is flashing on the dashboard. The car runs but is very jumpy.

Just have a few questions...

1) Is the car ok to drive like this?

2) What needs replacing/fixing? I've read fixes on the internet are everything from tappet replacement, coil pack replacement, to a 50 software update at Peugeot dealers! Anyone any ideas?
NoelGallagher is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-10, 11:52 AM   #2

the catalytic converter fault light is a dubious one to say the least but the flashing malfunction tends to mean a coil pack is arcing which would cause excess fuel to be stored in the charcoal canister so it would mean there is a lean mixture because one of the plugs has a misfire but you need to check it with a diagnostic scanner to narrow the problem down.
pugbod is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-10, 11:54 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply.. Would a normal garage be able to diagnose it or should I go to a Peugeot garage?
NoelGallagher is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-10, 11:57 AM   #4

most garages have the diagnostic tools as its only emission/engine fault so not required to go to peugeot.
pugbod is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 22-04-13, 08:18 PM   #5

Question emission

My 307 brings out an emission that makes me drips like I wanna cry. Please what can be the cause
atanda02 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-13, 11:08 PM   #6

Default Cat converter error

I have read many posts about engine misfires and catalytic converter error being displayed on the dash panel.

1. An engine misfire will cause unburnt fuel to enter the exhaust system, thus cause the sensors to read out of tolerance levels of pollution. Hence the warning message. Ignore this, if you have a misfire.

2. Confirm the misfire with a diagnostic tool, such as the MaxiScan 309, which can be bought on the web for less than Aust $50.

3. If multiple random misfires is confirmed as an error, then fix that problem.

4. Spark plugs can get fouled using poorer quality fuels and less than the 95RON as recommended. So off to peugeot Roget the correct plugs from a spare part supplier.

5. The Coil pack is also another cause for misfiring if it is not functioning 100%. I was quoted Aust $550 for the peugeot part and $460 for the Citroen part (what makes the difference?). I looked up eBay for this part and bought one of $130. It was delivered overnight.

6. Having sourced the coil pack and plugs (don't put in a new coil pack with old plugs), I then spent 30 minutes replacing the lot. Took the car for a test drive and all problems solved.

7. A Diesel engine may also have some problems if the addative level is low or empty so check this first before spending money on plugs and coil pack.

Hope this helps the rest of the members.
Sonoma is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.