Peugeot Forums banner

Any more ideas

4K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  redarrow 
#1 ·
Hi, still having starting issues with my peugeot, starts fine when hot, but will not fire up if it has been standing for over 2 hours. Have uprated the starter motor to 1.7kw, this has made no difference. Cranking pressure is 200 Bar. I do get a smell of exhaust in the cabin if I have the heater fans on. Has been plugged in to snap on solus ultra, no faults there. Will be ordering pp 2000. I have recently had a couple of warnings on the dash display which came on, but then disapeard. Anti pollution fault, DPF additive low, and diesel filter blocked, these have only been in the last couple of days and have all not come back on.
Any other idea's, I'm not really near enough to someone with pp. Thanks in advance.307 2.0l 110hdi 2002

#5 ·
Can you check fuel pressure at ignition on. You should have around 2 bar you often see fuel filter swell slightly as well if in tank low pressure pump is working. I would then look at injector leak off as you may have a leaky injector. I'm sure 250 bar is required for ecu to switch on injectors

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Will get hubby to check later, he said she was cranking over at 200 bar and should be at 300 bar when at idle. She will turn over really quickly but not even get a sputter of trying to start. We were thinking of the hp pump next, all the injectors have had the seals replaced.

#8 ·
try not to use easy start if you can help it. Diesels get addicted to the stuff and will only start with it.
The injector of my 206 should be 300 bar at idle so i would say 200 bar is a little low. I would say the flow of fuel is reduce somewhere. the easy start made it fire which speeds up the engine speed causing more fuel to be pumped. I would check the lift pump and the hp pump or you have a blockage

#11 ·
By Injector seals I assume you mean fire rings under injectors. It's not uncommon for injectors to sometimes be damaged during removal which makes them leak. I would still do a leak off test to see if that's why pump cannot raise 250 bar. If it runs with a sniff of easy start injector leak is likely

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Tapatalk

#14 ·
The message "unblock diesel filter" refers to the DPF not the fuel filter.

I've never known additive low to come on and then go off again (although it usually only does it for a few seconds at startup which you may not notice if you're focussing on the easy start!).

#16 ·
200 bar is not enough a non starting HDI will make 300 bar on cranking with good injectors forget the noid lights the injectors are working they wont tell you anything.

I agree with windy a leak of test on your injectors is likely to show 1 bad injector that is all it takes for these not to start and everything you have posted sounds like a leaky injector

#22 · (Edited)
Yes, can be done on the car. System is pressured up [by starting engine] and then monitored to see if it keeps pressure when you shut the engine down. I normally make sure it maintains pressure overnight if I have the time to do so, but serious leakage will be immediately obvious when you switch the engine off. Gradual pressure loss overnight will usually result in hard starting.

#18 ·
Update- Everyone that suggested injectors were bang on the money, put my 406 injectors on and she fired up. Old ones been sent of for refurbish. Had to rebuild starter motor too as it got stuck in on position (fire hazard) Just got to give her a service before putting through forced regen.

#23 ·
Thats not quite correct as the system does not hold pressure what you are testing for is how much fuel is sent back to the tank while running as a bad injector will send lots back to the tank a good injector very little.

It is the differences between all 4 you are looking for and if 1 is bad it will leak back a lot more than the others this can be worse when cold this in turn will lead to bad starting as the fuel system needs to get the pressure back up and it struggles to do that.

#24 · (Edited)
So check them while at idle with the engine fully warmed up then? Having not actually visually looked at them on the car but from what I have seen on other diesels arnt the injectors spill hoses in series and so 1 feeds to 2 to 3 to 4 and then back to the tank? If so how do you go about checking say 4 with the other 3 feeding the return rail?
My car is in limp mode but starts OK every time even after a long lay off. I am trying to fault find as I have checked most other possible causes.

#25 ·
You need four small bottles and some washer hose or similar.

You connect hose to injector returns on each one and put other end in bottles, crank or run engine for a short period.

Compare volume of diesel in each bottle to identify faulty one(s)

#27 ·
Did you do a full ecu reset .

Take negative wire off only wait 15 minutes
Then stert motor, this will reset the ecu and tell the computer
To update anythink you done on the car.

A full reset usally solves most problams .

If that font work try and look at coil pack they seem to be a doggy bugger ...

#28 ·
What about the temp sencor has that gone or faulty?

Did you do a full ecu reset .

Take negative wire off only wait 15 minutes put wire back ,
Then start motor, this will reset the ecu and tell the computer
To update anythink you done on the car.

A full reset usally solves most problams .

If that dont work try and look at coil pack they seem to be a doggy bugger ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.