307 axle pivot bush - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-09-12, 10:07 PM   #1

Default 307 axle pivot bush

Just a quick guide on changing pivot bushes on the 307 "in situ"

To start with you'll need in addition to usual socket and spanners

1/ new bushes
2/ a large socket, around 50+mm should do
3/ a length of Bar with 2 nuts and washers to suit.
4/ brake pipe clamps.

To start with jack up rear or car and remove both road wheels,

Clamp both brake flexible hoses between the chassis and the axle, and then disconnect them using a suitable container to collect any brake fluid

disconnect the handbrake cable at the calliper and release the cable clamp free cable from the axle

Support weight of axle and carefully remove lower shock absorber bolt.
then remove the rear spring.

disconnect the ABS sensor cable, I chose to just release the cables to allow the ABS cable to remain connected.

By the book the next step is to release the axle by removing the 4 bolts from the mounting brackets on the axle. but prior to doing this you must mark up the location for reffitting.

Then remove the bolt through the bushing. the bushing can be easily tapped out with a hammer after drilling the rubber out of the inside and then gently tapping the outer plastic sleeve inwards with a screwdriver (see pic)

Refitting of the bush is done by using a long bar and a plate and a socket to pull the bush into the axle. this is surprising easy as they are plastic bushes. (see pic) for the last part i used another socket not pictured.

Note the left hand bush can be removed by releasing the pivot bolt. the right hand has to have the whole plate removed, peugeot require the use of 4 guide pins for axle alignment, in the absence of these pins i used 2 AA batteries with the plastic removed.

Reassembly is the reverse of removal, remembering to torque all the bolts disturbed when the car is back on it's wheels and bleed the brakes.
Attached Thumbnails
sl381347.jpg   sl381349.jpg   sl381350.jpg   sl381355.jpg   sl381357.jpg  

stvstx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-09-12, 10:15 PM   #2

Aligning the R/H axle mount, using battery as a guide.
This is a guide only and can be easily damage the batteries and they get stuck in the mount. and you have to take the mount off again to get them out

Before i changed these i found very little information or bush tooling on the internet suitable, Maybe it will inspire someone else to have the confidence.

Attached Thumbnails
sl381361.jpg   sl381362.jpg  

Last edited by stvstx; 26-09-12 at 10:17 PM.
Old 13-01-13, 06:50 PM   #3

Today I used this thread and the pictures within to tackle the rear trailing arm bushes on my 307 SW and in fairness I thought I'd write a little reply.

Firstly big thanks to stvstx for posting up this guide. It certainly gave me the heads-up I was looking for. Other than this thread I found very little on the net about changing the 307 rear bushes.

I managed to do both bushes without disconnecting the shocks, springs or brake pipes but had to be really careful not to stretch the flexi brake pipes. If they'd been any shorter then I wouldn't have gotten away with it. The left bush is certainly much easier because on the right hand side you've got the fuel tank to watch out for.

Again big thanks to stvstx.

Cheers
Pete
Old 14-01-13, 09:45 PM   #4

I have to admit that i had the use of a workshop press arranged just in case the bushes were stuck in, anyone who has attempted these on a golf will know what i mean. so the axle was ready to be whisked away.

I have used the kits available for other cars and they are good. but nothing is available for the peugeot.
The shocks and springs are pretty quick to drop so i would do that next time. but not having to bleed the brakes would save a lot of time. and would mean the job can easily be done in an afternoon

thanks for adding to this post Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.