307 1.4 HDi limp mode saga latest findings - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 307
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-05-17, 06:28 PM   #1

Default 307 1.4 HDi limp mode saga latest findings

Got the car back and removed the bumper for access to rad coolant fan equipment. The fan does not run on test in the low speed selection. Today I disconnected the control wires plug and identified the low speed relay control relay connections to connections 85 and 86 on the relay. The car was not switched on but its battery was connected. I slaved in the two control wires to a separate battery and lo and behold the fan ran at low speed. So the problem lies in the control wires from the disconnect plug to, I assume, the ecu. With car power on I get battery voltage on one of the cables which feeds 86 on the relay. So the other cable is the return from 85. I checked the continuity of this as and was expecting it to be the earth but there was no continuity. Now I am assuming that this is the control circuit which means it is looking for an earth when the coolant temp reaches the low speed fan trigger point through the ecu. But during the fan tests the low speed fan does not test. I assume the ecu overrides the sensor and supplies the required signals to allow the fans to test. So from that I reckon the sensor is OK as it was replaced when I fitted the new thermostat module. So I assume the fault is either a wiring fault on that cable or the ecu. Any thoughts?

Last edited by madbadandold; 15-05-17 at 06:30 PM.
madbadandold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-05-17, 02:42 PM   #2

Come on guys. No electricians among you?
Anyway I reckon I have traced the wire to the ecu. As you look at the ecu it is the left hand plug. At least the cable with the same colour code goes there. Just to double check I traced the high speed return to the same plug and that has continuity unlike the low speed cable. So its decision time. Anybody have any idea how to remove and replace wires from these plugs?
Old 16-05-17, 03:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbadandold View Post
Come on guys. No electricians among you?
Anyway I reckon I have traced the wire to the ecu. As you look at the ecu it is the left hand plug. At least the cable with the same colour code goes there. Just to double check I traced the high speed return to the same plug and that has continuity unlike the low speed cable. So its decision time. Anybody have any idea how to remove and replace wires from these plugs?
If it was mine I would temporarily splice a cable close to the ecu connector and also at the other end so it is in parallel with the original cable and try testing it first. If the fan runs then make the change permanent. I've never had any need to remove cables from the ecu plug so have no idea what's involved but as a last resort you could cut the cable and solder the new cable and seal with a couple of heat shrink tubes, one insulating the join with a slightly larger diameter and longer length adding additional electrical insulation and extra moisture protection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by storeman; 16-05-17 at 03:53 PM.
storeman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 16-05-17, 07:45 PM   #4

I bought a kit a couple of months back and all it consists of is a load of different leads that allow you to check pins in the plugs. Magic it is.Over100 different leads. If anybody is interested I can give you details of the kit with photos! One of them is a fine needle that I used to check for continuity in the cable starting from the fan control plug disconnect point and worked my way up the loom. This meant of course undressing the loom of its tape, fastenings and conduit and hey presto I found the point of failure. It was right by the ABS controller where the loom to the top divides into two. Unwrapping it and found dirt that was in there because they had not taped the conduit the whole length and there was a lot. The loom was wound with cloth tape and that was damp too.The ABS plug was nice and clean as the cover had done its job. Anyway the wire had a kink in it but the outer sheath was intact. I cut the wire and inline crimped it and tested on Global and all is well. Well nearly because it still has not cured the limp mode!! The only message in the ECU now is "the glow plug is permanently powered"! I am not a happy man. The census is that the glow plug fault would not cause limp mode but I have checked everything else that could. Anybody know the wiring circuit to the relay i.e. there is two big cables and of course the plug to the glow plugs as I want to check it out.
Old 16-05-17, 07:47 PM   #5

I tested my one 407's fan yesterday with Diagbox [V7.62] while trying to find where I could do an adaptive reset... know I saw the option somewhere in an earlier foray when trying to diagnose issues with it's auto box, but still cant re-find it... So I was testing all sorts of things just because I could...

I was given 2 options, low speed test and high/low speed test. Trying the low speed test, no action at all from the fan. Aarrrghhhhhh!!!

However, then trying the high/low speed test I got a positive result with the fan alternating between high/very high and low speed in a sort of a random sequence, so assume all is ok with my fan despite no action from the low speed test option. Maybe your test option is the same?? ie not working on the low speed test option for some reason like mine did?
WillNZ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16-05-17, 07:53 PM   #6

WillNZ see my post above yours. Thanks for the thought though
Old 16-05-17, 07:55 PM   #7

You could be right as planet has tests for options not every car has and 206s for example have 3 different types of fan so the test for each could be different.
Old 16-05-17, 07:56 PM   #8

Cool. Obviously I was busy typing while you were also. Happy [fan] result..
Old 16-05-17, 07:59 PM   #9

Unfortunately most of the diagrams I have in my SEDRE for the 307 are schematic, I don't seem to have any detailed diagrams so can't help with the glowplug saga.
Old 17-05-17, 02:04 PM   #10

WILLNZ I have just uploaded service box and serde and mine is the same. Jimmymarsbar has said to try loading the SVG option which is down the side of that page where you have got the selection of chapters to view. I have but I have to restart the computer to see if it has loaded.

Last edited by madbadandold; 17-05-17 at 02:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.