What Oil for my 207 1.6 HDI? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-06-11, 10:08 AM   #1

Question What Oil for my 207 1.6 HDI?

I have a 2009 1.6HDI 207 90HP WITHOUT a particulate filter.

The Peugeot handbook recommends I use Engine Oil to ACEA A3/B4 & PSA's B71 2296, standards but is vague about the oil viscosity - it shows a chart which 'authorises'(!) 10W-40, 5w-40, 0W-30 and even the 5W-30 engine oil which must be used on the FAP version! The Peugeot chart showing the recommended viscosities vs ambient temperature seems to say I can use any of these oils!

Is this right? What engine oil should I be using on a new(ish) 1.6HDI Non-FAP?
Hammerter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-06-11, 12:36 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Total Quartz INEO 5w30. C2 spec.
davidireland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21-06-11, 08:40 AM   #3

Just got myself a 1.6 HDI beast.

I have been told that the 1.6 HDI engine is notoriously known for having a weak lubrication (oil) system. The turbo oil feeder pipe apparently clogs up easily due to old and coked oil.

When looking into my owners manual for the PUG 307 1.6 HDI from 2005 it clearly states that 10w40 semi-synt and 5w40 full-synt are the only suitable oil types for the engine.

I been giving it a lot of thought, as I don't want my turbo/engine to fail. I have come to the conclusion that I will be changing my oil and filter every 5k using Havoline 5w40 with deposit shield technology. It's not exactly marketed as low-saps, but the specs are very close to low-saps oil. I have been using this oil for a long time on my 2.2 HDI engine. + It's affordable.

Running normal distance according to service book is simply to long with only 3.8L of oil.

Your thoughts?
mitching is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21-06-11, 09:11 AM   #4

Default Thanks for the comments mitching

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitching View Post

I have been told that the 1.6 HDI engine is notoriously known for having a weak lubrication (oil) system. The turbo oil feeder pipe apparently clogs up easily due to old and coked oil.

When looking into my owners manual for the PUG 307 1.6 HDI from 2005 it clearly states that 10w40 semi-synt and 5w40 full-synt are the only suitable oil types for the engine.

I been giving it a lot of thought, as I don't want my turbo/engine to fail. I have come to the conclusion that I will be changing my oil and filter every 5k using Havoline 5w40 with deposit shield technology. It's not exactly marketed as low-saps, but the specs are very close to low-saps oil. I have been using this oil for a long time on my 2.2 HDI engine. + It's affordable.

Running normal distance according to service book is simply to long with only 3.8L of oil.

Your thoughts?
Having given this a little more thought & research I have come the following conclusions:

I don't feel I can ignore the wisdom of a Peugeot expert like davidireland so I will use Total Quartz INEO 5w30 ECS for the time being. I have just ordered some online from Nielsen CDG at 21 per 5Litre so can't really complain about the cost. The 5w30 oil is supposed to offer a small improvement in fuel consumption over the 5w40 so I will keep an eye on the consumption after I change the oil.

Typically, my 207 does trips to work (27 miles each way) which it should lap up easily. I will however, change the oil & filter every 6k miles i.e. at 1/2 the recommended 12k service interval - so alternating a proper service with a quick oil & filter change. This may seem over the top, but is a small price to pay for hopefully a trouble-free drive to work? We shall see.
Hammerter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21-06-11, 06:51 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:

Your thoughts?
Thats the problem. The oil becomes overcome too quickly with that quantity in the sump.
The service intervals need to be halved and use a good quality C2 spec engine oil. The Total INEO 5w30 is a low SAPs oil that I only use for the dv6 engine with or without a particle filter.
Old 21-06-11, 07:16 PM   #6

So changing engine oil every 10.000km. will be ideal?
No need to change it every 5.000km. and do a overkill on it if it makes no sense.
Old 21-06-11, 07:19 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
So changing engine oil every 10.000km. will be ideal?
No need to change it every 5.000km. and do a overkill on it if it makes no sense.
Stay as you are doing. It'll stand to the engine.
Old 21-06-11, 07:49 PM   #8

Cool. Thanks for the advise.
Old 22-02-13, 12:55 PM   #9

Default Which oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidireland View Post
Stay as you are doing. It'll stand to the engine.
Hi have recently changed oil and all filters. On start up I get a tapping noise from cam area. Goes quiet after a few miles. Oil used was Castrol magnatec 5/30 synthetic, could this be the cause? There was no tapping before service

Last edited by Zoony; 22-02-13 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Add on
Zoony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22-02-13, 01:42 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Default Re: What Oil for my 207 1.6 HDI?

Is it C2 spec?

Would it be more of a rattle? If it is then its the timing chain. Usually starts rattling from poor servicing.

Sent from my GT-S5690
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.