Peugeot Forums banner

Checking gearbox oil level 1.6 HDi

16K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  mattalsop 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'd like to check the gearbox oil level on my 207 when I service the car next weekend but am unsure of the procedure. The car is a 207 HDi 92 made in 2011 with DPF. I can find the gearbox oil drain plug and I think the filler cap too. Would I be correct in assuming I need to drain the gearbox oil, measure out the quantity and then put it back in ? If so then what is the gearbox oil quantity and type ? Unfortunately I only have the 207 owners manual and there is no information in there. I could do with some advice from someone who has access to the service information ;-)

Many thanks,
Matt.

#2 ·
According to haynes, only the early models have a fiiler/level plug. This is on the end of the gearbox accessible from the passenger side front wheel arch. You would need to remove the wheel arch liner to get good access. Level is correct when the oil reaches the lower edge of the filler hole.

Later models are supposed to be maintenance free and filled for life. If there has been a leak (say from a leaking drive shaft seal) then these boxes need to be fully drained then refilled through the vent on top of the gearbox with the correct amount of oil. The 1.6l box should be a BE4/5 and has a capacity of1.9 litres.

I personally believe that the oil has a lifespan and if the car is looked after it could outlive the useful life of the gearbox oil so would probably carry out an oil change at some point.

Your being a 2011 is likely to have the later gearbox in so it would require a full drain and the 1.9 litres of new oil put in through the vent.

#3 ·
Thanks for your message. There is no level plug on the end of the gearbox so I will drain and replace the oil with new and the correct quantity. The bottom of the gearbox is "wet" although no oil has dripped to where I park the car or onto the engine bay bottom cover. I know that a tiny amount of oil can make what looks like a large mess having repaired and serviced CNC machines for 20+ years. I'm aware that the main dealers do check the gearbox oil quantity during a major service so I wanted to do the same when I service it myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.