207 pulls right when accelerating - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-12, 02:52 PM   #1

Default 207 pulls right when accelerating

Hello, I have a Pug207. The other day I replaced both rear tyres and got the front wheels aligned, but ever since then I've noticed a slight issue when driving that is particularly noticeable on the motorway (due to long straight roads).

The steering wheel is very slightly off centre, it's barely perceptible. The main issue is when travelling in a straight line, when I accelerate the car pulls noticeably to the right, requiring a slight anti-clockwise adjustment of the steering wheel to maintain a straight line path. When I ease up on the accelerator the car will then pull to the left, requiring the opposite adjustment of the steering wheel to maintain a straight path.

Just to be clear, this doesn't feel like a typical alignment problem that I've had before where the steering wheel always pulls to one side or the other. For example, when you let go the car veers one way or the other. The car is quite happy to travel in a straight line without anybody holding the steering wheel, it's just that under acceleration it starts to wander to the right.

Is this likely to be a problem with incorrect front wheel alignment or something else? I have read people suggesting this kind of problem is worn bushes, tie rods, wishbones etc, but didn't notice this issue before I had tyres changed and wheels aligned and so I'm suspicious. The garage that did the alignment say that everything is as it should be, but should I take it somewhere else foe a secong opinion?
bobmoo79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-10-12, 04:35 PM   #2

im sure under some consumer act if your not happy with a reason/ answer you are allowed to seek a second opinion & if there is a requirement for work to be carried out the orignal undertaker of this work is liable towards some if not all of the cost - id take a trip to citizens advice see what they say about the matter but yeah definately sounds like some shinanigans going on here
207drivercgd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-10-12, 04:54 PM   #3

because the steeccring wheel isnt straight are you holding it straight thus when accelerating it flicks the steering back

i had my missus ka alligned at national tyres. since then the steering wheel is slightly off centre. no issues with driving or pulling to one side though
monty9120 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-10-12, 05:04 PM   #4

Funny you should say that, it was National that did the alignment!

No, accelerating doesn't really seem to pull the steering wheel at all.
If I'm travelling in a straight line and decide to accelerate to catch somebody up on the motorway, the car pulls right and I have to adjust the steering to the left. When I have caught that person up and ease off the accelerator, with the steering wheel in the same position, the car will drift left. I then have to adjust the steering wheel accordingly to continue a straight path. It only requires minor adjustement, but it's irritating.

I often notice when I change gear on the motorway that the car wanders left (because the power from the engine is disengaged), requiring me to adjust the steering while changing gear to stay straight.
bobmoo79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-10-12, 03:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmoo79 View Post
Funny you should say that, it was National that did the alignment!

No, accelerating doesn't really seem to pull the steering wheel at all.
If I'm travelling in a straight line and decide to accelerate to catch somebody up on the motorway, the car pulls right and I have to adjust the steering to the left. When I have caught that person up and ease off the accelerator, with the steering wheel in the same position, the car will drift left. I then have to adjust the steering wheel accordingly to continue a straight path. It only requires minor adjustement, but it's irritating.

I often notice when I change gear on the motorway that the car wanders left (because the power from the engine is disengaged), requiring me to adjust the steering while changing gear to stay straight.
deffo get a second opinion mate sounds like the trackrod or trackrod ends could be going giving these shinanigans
Old 28-10-12, 11:18 PM   #6
kip

If you go for a second opinion in the form of an alignment check with someone else, get a full 4-wheel alignment check as just aligning the fronts does not necessarily mean the car is rolling true. The fronts need to align with the rears otherwise your thrust angle could be incorrect.
207drivercgd likes this.
Old 29-10-12, 09:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip View Post
If you go for a second opinion in the form of an alignment check with someone else, get a full 4-wheel alignment check as just aligning the fronts does not necessarily mean the car is rolling true. The fronts need to align with the rears otherwise your thrust angle could be incorrect.
thats a very good point like many people I had totally forgot about the rear axle

Old 16-05-13, 02:56 PM   #8

Apologies for digging old graves, but this is a dreadful issue, costing money, time, nerves and what not..

Please those of you who had this sorted - share it via this poll: Has your Pug 206 ever pulled to one side when accelerating? What was the root cause? (poll 7107993) | Polldaddy.com

If you won't find what caused your problem, add it to the "Other" option.

Poll as many times as you had cars/cases sorted in your life.

I will share this message in other forums too, so we have clearer idea what to check first, and leave for last of what has rarely ever occurred.

It is only for 206s (and 207s as their brother), as other cars will be more prone to other causes.

Many thanks,
Sim
sledge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-14, 08:15 AM   #9

Default 207 GT Pulling right

Car pulls predominantly to the right not, but not when accelerating or braking? I've had my 4 wheels aligned yesterday, and checked they are all the same air pressures and still problem persists. When your on a slanted road it's horrible whole car feels like it's leaning onto the front right wheel! But level it can feel fine?

Any idea what this could be? Sticky brake on the right side? Bearing issues? Going to take it off and have a closer look!

Cheers!
PEUGEOT207GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-02-14, 03:45 PM   #10

I had this problem on my wife's 206 a few years ago but it was my fault! A bush failed on the wishbone and lazily I only changed the bad one. Exactly the same symptoms. The difference was probably minute but when I renewed the other wishbone everything was back to normal.

Was the car absolutely ok before you had the alignment done? Because another possibility is that the car has had a shunt in the past and the result is crabbing due to disalignment. However that would not be the case if you had it from new.

Another possibilty reminds me of a problem I had last year with my wife's Chevrolet. Being a good boy I decided to swap the wheels around to save tyre wear in the usual way....corner to corner. It was disastrous! The steering wheel went about an inch off centre and the car pulled to the left all the time. It was so bad that she turned around on her way to the shops and came back home. I put all the wheels back where they 'belonged' and all was then well! All it needs is a slight difference to cause a drastic problem as my experience with the wishbone demonstrates. Try swapping your wheels around....did you put the wheels with the new tyres on the front, maybe one has had a row with a kerb at some point and is a little buckled, especially if it is an alloy. It might have been on the back originally where the effect might not haver been noticeable. If it's now on the front it could be causing the problem.
Davrobate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.