Spongy brakes... not according to the mechanic - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 206
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-10, 05:33 PM   #1

Default Spongy brakes... not according to the mechanic

Hiya,

I took my car in for a service a few weeks ago and Peugeot noted that there is air in the brakes, so they needed bleeding... they wanted to charge 84 to do it. I'm pretty much broke atm so I'm not paying that. I go to a friend's garage owned by his uncle, and I get it bled, costing me 20, and the brakes feel exactly the same as before... the footbrake goes about halfway down before the car actually brakes. The mechanic says it's something to do with the servo (don't what that is) just being as it is, and that's it's normal in a 206. But... when I have the car turned off, and the handbrake down, I pump the brake and it then stiffens up, doesn't that mean that there's air in the system, or is the mechanic right in that that's just how a 206 is? when I turn the car on the brake goes back to halfway down (when I press on it). Every other car I've got into has pretty much solid brakes.

Last edited by Omar Ebrahim; 01-03-10 at 05:36 PM.
Omar Ebrahim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-10, 09:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Ebrahim
I pump the brake and it then stiffens up, doesn't that mean that there's air in the system,
No that does not mean that. All braking systems do this when off.

84 to bleed brakes is an absoloute joke, are you sure on that? It seems REALLY steep, like REALLLLLLLLY steep for brake bleeding.

I would of thought the mechanic may well be talking gash if it feels no different.

Bleed them yourself, bleeding brakes is unbelievably easy, just takes time and perserverance.
roy_newell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-10, 09:54 AM   #3

What sort of Peugeot is it? Pugs with ABS from the 405 onwards need the ABS pump bleeding, and you need the Planet computer in order to do this - if your chums garage was any good they'd know the ABS pump has to be done, or it's a pointless exercise, you'll never bleed the system successfully without. Excess travel on the pedal is indicative of this.

To the pug dealers you go! With new fluid, time to get the car in the air and drop all the wheels off, time to fanny about with the computer and go round the numerous bleed points in the correct order, it takes about 0.8 of an hour, so 80ish is a fair ballpark price.

No matter how skint you are, never stint on your brakes. You've just wasted 20 and got no nearer sorting it. Sometimes things cost what they cost.
Old 02-03-10, 03:44 PM   #4

I had a look at the brake pads when I came home from work - they're quite worn and need to be changed in a month or two. Would this cause it to be spongy?
Omar Ebrahim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-10, 07:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Ebrahim
I had a look at the brake pads when I came home from work - they're quite worn and need to be changed in a month or two. Would this cause it to be spongy?
Not spongy, as they get really low they'll get grindy, but not spongy
roy_newell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.