Peugeot 206 hdi not starting - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 206
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-12, 10:46 AM   #1

Default Peugeot 206 hdi not starting

Hi there
New to this forum and would appreciate your help. Have an 05 Peugeot 206 s hdi hatchback 1.4that just won't start. No warning lights, etc - just refuses to start! It does turn over and at first it starts for about 20 secs then cuts out. Subsequent turns of the key and it is turning over but not starting and sounds like it is not getting any fuel through. The priming pump is not filling up with fuel and seems to be full of air. My dad towed it and we managed to get it started and then it will drive for miles but once stopped back to firing up for 20 secs and then cutting out. I have read other replies on the forum about not starting but because my car is driving ok when it does start wondered if there was a different problem with it. Can you tell me also if it has a mechanical fuel pump. Thanks for your help.
Just a quick update. My dad is constantly trying to pump the primer bulb to get fuel through but it seems all he is doing is pumping air into the tank as we can hear it. Why is the fuel not coming into the bulb. Any clues????
Another update - my dad (from the old school and has been working with cars for about 45 years) blew back the fuel pipes with compressed air and hey presto diesel starting to come out the fuel line leading to the priming bulb. He had a look inside the tank (from under the back seat) and fuel pump and didn't find anything untoward. He cleaned and blew through the pump and put in back together again and added some Redex to tank. He also replaced the fuel filter. He's away for a run in it now so here's hoping!!!!! Will update the forum as to the result.

Last edited by JellyBean; 01-06-12 at 03:17 PM.
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-12, 08:20 PM   #2

Knew it was too good to be true. After a good run yesterday, stopping and starting a few times all seemed well but after leaving it all night it wouldn't start again this morning :-( Same as before no fuel in pipeline, despite trying to pump the primer bulb it is not coming through at all. The only thing that seems to be happening is he is pushing air into the tank as I hear alot of bubbling noise.
He noticed yesterday that as he took off the fuel cap there was a rush of air into the tank and also when he was dismantling the round disc underneath the back seat to access the tank, fuel was spurting out of it. He seems to think there some kind of air shortage in the tank - like creating a vacuum!
The car is going perfectly when started (but that only happens by tow rope and bump start) and can run for miles no problem, so hopefully its nothing too serious.
Of course he now realises that the fuel pump is not in the fuel tank it is only the housing for the fuel indicator!!! Exactly where is the fuel pump on this car?
I know its a holiday, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-06-12, 08:11 PM   #3

Hi
it says in the Haynes manual Quote:
"No lift pump is fitted to the 1.4 litre (diesel) engine,but the fuel gauge sender unit is located in the tank"
It says also, the fuel lift pump on other models (ie. 2litre) is in the tank.
So according to the manual on the 1.4 there aint one.
JellyBean likes this.

Last edited by Clobak; 03-06-12 at 08:38 PM.
Clobak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-12, 12:23 AM   #4

Thanks for that Clobak - that's what my dad thought - eventually!!!!
We think we may have located the problem with my car. On inspecting the fuel line under the air filter housing he discovered (by using a mirror) a split in the one of the fuel lines approx. of about half an inch. Although all of this wasn't right through there was enough of a hole in it to cause the non start. He glued and taped over the hole but I think he will be renewing this particular line. He also took off the lug it was resting in as this seemed to be what was causing the line to split. Fingers crossed, it is all going well. Hope this helps other people with the same problem. Check and double check the fuel lines as my dad thought he had!!!!
Old 05-06-12, 04:08 PM   #5

Smile Fuel line split

Judging by your post time this must be keeping you awake at night ! Glad you found the problem. Shows the value of having a manual ( knowing that the pump you were looking for doesn't exist ) and the value of a forum full of expertise at your disposal. Get that iffy pipe changed pronto and make sure that the new one is properly clamped out of harms way. Buy your dad a beer, he's earned it.
Clobak likes this.
syncrofred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-12, 12:16 PM   #6

Yea your right Syncrofred - a few beers are defo in order. He was getting really exasperated with it, who would have thought a tiny hole would have caused the problem. It was only scouring this forum that we came up with probable causes and hate to think what the cost would have been taking it to a garage, so a big thanks to all those posters. Hope others reading this will be encouraged as cost to fix up to now was a new filter at 30 quid. Thanks for your reply.
Old 06-06-12, 05:30 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Just use any rubber pipes that`ll fit , thats what i done when i found out peugeot wanted 100 for them .

ps you should have read the threads better - Hard to start 307 FIXED!!!!!!!
Clobak likes this.
bettyswollocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-12, 05:34 PM   #8

I knew id seen this fault before on the 1.4 hdi ! You've just confirmed im not going daft Martin !
bettyswollocks likes this.
Old 06-06-12, 09:34 PM   #9

Thanks for that Bettyswollocks!!!! Yea I did read that one about the non starting 307 - thats why my dad doubled checked the fuel line under the air filter housing again and found the split! He's not paying 100 for new lines either as he will be able to make something up too - where do they get those prices???!!!!! At the moment it's still running ok with the glue and tape round the line. Appreciate you taking the time to reply.
bettyswollocks likes this.
Old 06-06-12, 10:02 PM   #10

I am sure everyone is pleased you got it sorted Jellybean , ... sure the post will help other people
JellyBean likes this.

Last edited by Clobak; 06-06-12 at 10:44 PM.
Clobak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.