Oil level gauge fault - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 206
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-09-12, 05:27 AM   #1

Default Oil level gauge fault

Good Morning everyone. I am desperately in need of help. My car is a Peugeot 206 1.6 Xt. It flashes Oil gauge fault and the oil is enough. So what might be the cause? And is it safe to drive it while it is in that condition? Kind regards
Khutsop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-09-12, 10:15 PM   #2

To establish if the car is safe to drive, simply withdraw the dipstick with the car parked on level ground to verify the sump's oil level, wipe it clean with a rag and re-insert the dipstick and withdraw it again to check the level.
I have been amazed, many times, how low an oil level can appear on the dipstick without causing any immediate problems, but this is pure neglect, the oil must be maintained at the correct level markings on the dipstick, oil is not only the lifeblood of the engine, but also acts a cooling medium.
If you have a warning light on the dashboard, this is usually a fault with the oil pressure sender unit, plugged into the oil filter casing. A new sender unit will fix this, but disconnect the electrical plug first to inspect for corrosion on the pins and sockets.
Another possibility is breakage of the plastic lugs on the filter element, this is a known fault on cheap filters.
Some engines have a spin-on cartridge filter, mostly earlier models, but you forgot to post the year of the car, always advisable when seeking advice.

On the subject of filters, I had an unusually pleasant experience at a Peugeot main dealer last week. I needed to buy a new filter for my own car and fully expected to be paying the Motor Factor's going rate of 10, but when I handed my car's registration document to the storeman to make it easy for him to access the correct part on the computer, he generously offered to put the transaction through " as trade " which meant I would get the part " cheap as chips " ( his parlance ) and with a sump washer thrown in, my bill was 5.50.

I suspect the motor trade is feeling the economic slump at the moment, and desperate to generate new return business !

Benny
BennyBall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.