Noise when clutch engaged - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 206
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-04-17, 02:57 PM   #1

Default Noise when clutch engaged

Hey all,

I just bought a 2001 206 1.1 w/ 69k miles. Drove it around sparingly for about a week, and everything was great.

Suddenly, out of the blue, there's a noise - a high-pitched rubbing or scraping sound - that comes whenever the clutch is engaged, in neutral and driving around (doesn't change in tone as you accelerate), and disappears when I press the pedal.

I've seen throwout/release bearing mentioned when the noise happens in the opposite circumstances - when you press the pedal to disengage the clutch. Is it possibly the culprit here, too? I'm hoping to avoid a clutch replacement, as I'm a poor postgrad student.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-04-17, 07:08 PM   #2

You are correct that the clutch release bearing is noisy in the opposite case.

This sounds like the bearing(s) on the gearbox input shaft - sorry
IanML is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18-04-17, 07:22 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. What would you recommend, in this case? Limited funds, so I might have to save up for a bit, but I'd like to try to make the car last as long as I can, if feasible.

Last edited by gstam4; 18-04-17 at 07:33 PM.
gstam4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 18-04-17, 10:01 PM   #4

I'm not a gearbox expert - in fact I've never had much trouble with them. I would say the answer would be to change the gearbox. Some people take a chance on a second-hand box from a breaker, but a better course would be a reconditioned box from a reputable rebuilder, with a guarantee - shop around for quotes.

If you want to try a low cost fix first, check whether the oil is topped up, and perhaps try an oil change, but it sounds like the damage is done.

Did you perhaps get a guarantee from the seller? if so, I would take it back.

Last edited by IanML; 18-04-17 at 10:03 PM.
Old 19-04-17, 12:39 AM   #5

Thanks again.

Bought the car from someone I trust who said it had no known problems, and I have no reason to think he knew anything was up, potentially, with the gearbox. Only paid 100 for the car - he pretty much just wanted to give it to someone who would make good use of it.

I'll take it to a shop to see what they think (hopefully can get a diagnosis and estimate for free or low cost), and maybe try a gearbox oil change if they think it's worth it.

Other than that, I'm not going to be able to come up with more than 200-300 to fix it, so I might just have to drive it until it dies, then scrap it. Not sure what other option I have. I'm a postgrad who just came over from the US, so I have no way of getting my hands on a loan/overdraft/etc. to fix it. And because I'm new here, insurance is killing me at 1,100/year (despite having 15 years' experience and a clean record). A shame, as I've taken a real liking to the car after spending an afternoon giving it a cleaning I'm quite proud of.

Last edited by gstam4; 19-04-17 at 12:46 AM.
gstam4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19-04-17, 07:26 AM   #6

If you decide for an oil change, choose Castrol Syntrans VF-E 75W-80. Link. The book says you need 2 litres.
Old 19-04-17, 03:29 PM   #7

Took it to a garage today, they took it out for a test drive and apologized and said they think it's input shaft bearing(s), as suspected. I don't like the idea of having a used gearbox put in for 300-400+, so I guess my only real option is to scrap it.

Thanks for your help, though.
Old 19-04-17, 08:20 PM   #8

I would go for input shaft bearing if you handy with tools its a doable diy job and cost about 30 to do if its only the front bearing there are loads of picture guides on the net.

I did my daughters old cars bearing over a weekend on the drive with only a couple of trolley jacks and normal tools
Old 21-04-17, 10:05 AM   #9

Thanks mate - I wish, but I'm afraid I'm incompetent to do anything more than an engine oil change.
Old 22-04-17, 01:11 PM   #10

If anyone happens upon this thread again, I've decided not to part with the car, and to try to save up to have a used gearbox put in, and probably also having the clutch replaced at the same time. I'm hoping that can all be done for less than 400 total including labor, but who knows.

It'll be some time until I come up with that much cash, so if I minimize driving and keep it to local roads, then - if the problem now is the input shaft bearing(s) - is there any concern that I might do damage to parts of the car besides the gearbox if I continue to drive it?

I'm going replacement gearbox and new clutch, anything else I should have done while they're taking all those things apart?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.