Diesel 1.9 206 wont start - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 206
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-11, 07:49 AM   #1

Default Diesel 1.9 206 wont start

Hi,

As above my 1.9 diesel wont start. Ive tested the battery and this shows full power. About two and half weeks ago i had the same problem. Mobile mechanic tested glow plugs said these were fine. Put a diagnostic on it said no faults showed. Took the car away and said the electrical circuit that fed the glow plugs needed replacing, which he did for 450. Now 2 1/2 weeks later I have the same problem. Looks like the mobile mechanic doesnt want to know...Any ideas of what could be causing this problem and how I could get it fixed?

Gratefull for any advice,
s h lee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-11, 08:04 AM   #2

From your post it sounds like it is turning over properly? If so:

Could be the ECU and BSI. It was on my 1.4 HDI - I replaced and it was Fine.

Check all earth on the car by disconnect clean and reconnect

Check for Oil in water.

Turn the ignition to the position before it cranks over with bonnet up and then quickly go under bonnet and listen carefully to see if you can hear the fuel pump humming.

Check Fuel Solenoid is opening

Check all fuses

Check for bad TDC Sensor

When was Timing Belt last done?
jamesmcuk1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-11, 08:12 AM   #3

Thanks, timing belt was last done about a year and 5k miles ago, If it is the ECU do you know how much this will cost to replace? and sorry where will I find the TDC sensor?

Thanks
Old 03-08-11, 09:27 AM   #4

Well if its like mine and it has an ECU and a BSI then it is hundreds new but 2nd hand you can get them between 50 to 200. It was a fairly easy swap on my 2002 1.4hdi and it has solved my no start issue. However I would only think about this as a last resort as it causes further problems due to the fact the donor car may not have the same spec as your (like in my case currently so my aircon is off and a few other niggles) so it needs putting on peugeot planet and the odometer readings are added together so I need to get a mileage correction done too.

TDC on mine is sat in the top of the gearbox nearest the engine. I have to take the battery and battery housing out to get to it, but doubt yours is the same although the rough location probably is.
Old 03-08-11, 10:08 AM   #5

Thanks james regards turning over properly of the 12 or so times I tried it, I think the engine actually caught about 3 times and then just died (revving made no difference to rpm) On 2 of these 3 times the engine didnt sound like it was firing on all cylinders if that makes any sense - but on the vast majority of attempts to start the car I got absolutely nothing from the engine.

On the subject of the ECU, if it is the ECU, am I right in thinking it is possible to do a software download onto it to try and erase any fault there may be on it- or is this not advisable?

thanks,
Old 03-08-11, 07:38 PM   #6

Well mine sounded exactly like what you describe as in it wasn't firing on all cylinders etc before it died. This on mine was due to the fuel solenoid shutting the supply off.

I metered the supply to find the the earth connection was receiving +3 volts each time the solenoid clicked out meaning that the solenoid coil was only getting 9 volt approx in total PD (Potential Difference / Voltage) so it was closing. I attributed this too a bad transistor or Capacitor on the ECU / BSI and went for the swap and it paid off. So I am not sure about your software download. Certainly it is possible just like on a home computer for it to become corrupt so it may fix it and seeing as the downloads come live from the manufacturer only the latest compatible one would be installed from a reputable source, so it couldn't harm.

Problem is its so hard to say. Have you had any other faults prior to this that may even seem unrelated?
Old 03-08-11, 08:44 PM   #7

thanks james - update - mobile mechanic has looked at it and said the electrical circuit that feeds the glow plugs needs replacing (again!- he only replaced this about three weeks ago). Clearly at that time he repaired the symptom not the cause, but as my knowledge of auto electrics is dire, il leave this in his hands to find out why this is happening, dont suppose you would have any pointers on this?

Thanks
Old 03-08-11, 09:37 PM   #8

Sounds dodgy to me! Seeing as its so warm recently it shouldn't really even need the glow plugs too much if at all to be able to start.

Feed to glowplugs is very basic after the relay unit, it would be best to meter out the feed to the relay unit for 12 volts on the live and 0 on the Ground. Ultimately the ECU evaluates a few sensors (air, fuel temp etc) and then puts power down a pair of wires to the Glow Plug Relay unit. The glow plug relay unit basically is a big switch which uses the tiny current the ECU provides to switch on a big electrical current necessary to heat the plugs. Assuming good earths then this really can't fail due to another item, and so if this was changed then its not the cause. The ECU however has to supply a constant voltage and current to the Glowplug Relay which it does via transistors and various chips etc. This is likely to fail and may do so in unexpected ways. Such as it can supply enough current and voltage if, when you try to start the car no other items are on. However should you try to start and have the AC button on then it may provide a fluctuating voltage resulting in a no start.

Obviously this is all speculation and is provided only to provide a basis as to the understanding as to how electronic devices / components can break down slowly with unexpected consequences.

Its not uncommon for the Coolant temp sensors to go faulty and cause problems as the ECU uses this info for glow plug on time and fuel calc etc. On mine there is only one temp sensor and it does the temp gauge as well but on yours there very well be one for the ecu and one for the gauge. Check both if present.

My car also has a fuel sensor in the low pressure lines which you may also have and could be worth checking. My money is on ECU or a fuel problem esp if the Glows have been looked at once (unless they didn't do it first time and are now just saving their ass)
Old 05-08-11, 10:49 AM   #9

Hi James - update - the mob mechanic got back to me today and says it is the BSI unit- he said these common problem on peugeots and that he would have to take it off to test it properly. 500 new or fix the existing one-do you know is it possible to buy a new BSI unit any cheaper? Thanks
Old 06-08-11, 05:13 PM   #10

The BSI is easy to take out as is the ECU. The problem with the BSI is that it is the centre of the car electrics and controls everything. Critically though it is linked to the ECU and the Key itself.

The repair option could work but is going to cost a few quid. The other option is to search online for a peugeot breakers and buy a BSI ECU and Keyfob. The BSI is all simple connectors (its just a bit fiddley) and the ECU is just a 10mm nut and then 3 connectors (all done with battery disconnected). The only down side to this really is that the mileage on the car will increase by the amount the donor car had on it plus yours and that your new (second-hand) BSI will need coding to the vehicle VIN using PP2000 so that the radio works and any ancillaries enabling at the same time.

The mileage can be sorted by a mileage correction company and the programming can be done by anyone with the correct software and interface. Mine cost me 130 and I fitted it myself as its easy.

They sell the kits on ebay (you don't need all the locks etc as you simply swap you old key blade in to the new fob) Personally though I would buy one from a local place where you can collect it just in case there is any problems.

I considered repair of mine but a garage I spoke to said he won't even consider a repair any more and just swaps them out for a new or second-hand units.

But a New BSI Coded and fitted will be very expensive

I got my set from here Peugeot Citroen Car Van Parts / Peugeot Citroen Parts / Used Peugeot &Citroen Car & Van Spare Parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.