206 1.4 2002 hdi starting problem,please help. - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 206
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-09, 06:11 PM   #1

Default 206 1.4 2002 hdi starting problem,please help.

hi ive just purchased a 206 1.4 hdi 52 reg 153,000 miles.

ive had it two days and am baffled please help.
when starting it takes a lot of attempts,the dash needles spin slightly and the car cuts out instantly.
but when started ive had to press the accelarator up and down quickly and it kicks into life,the needles move on the dash display and runs perfectly can be turnt off and again started no problem..but again if left for a few hours the same again..belt tends to squeck if that could be a problem ive not investigated as yet.
is it a fuel supply problem...
the glow plugs...
air problem...
alternator...
ecu...relay
or could it be the battery low on power or corroded.
any help would be massively helpful,im sure theres a few people out there that have experienced this problem.
im not gonna spend fortunes at peugeot on it just yet.
dhenderson2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-09, 06:25 PM   #2

sounds like air in the fuel system how much fuel is in there? less than 1/4 of a tank could set of alarms to the ECU due to lack of pressure in the fuel tank my Saab 95 23t did that fault codes would help.
pugbod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-09, 06:48 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Could be battery not holding charge , terminals corroded , alternator or earth on top of gearbox.
bettyswollocks is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-09, 06:58 PM   #4

very difficult to resolve without Hands on the HDI is very fussy about fuel pressure so fault codes are required.
pugbod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-09, 09:50 PM   #5

hi thanks for the info,the car had 10 diesel in it when i got it looks as lol it had been sitting a while prior to when i got it but it had been running just as i got there engine was warm,so could had been a problem he was trying to hide as once started all ok.
i thought it sounds like fuel as when you start it and tap the accelarator it kicks to life,but that said it then also sounds like the alternator or battery as the clock needles all move and drop off but start moving up just as it kicks in and begins running right.
i will add more fuel,check the battery condition and terminals,and see where i stand but hard to tell because once started it will start up fine time and time again until left for a while.
i assume there is no way of checking the alternator,there is a belt whine could it be the alternator is set up wrongly..
thanks massively for the help anyone else with ideas fire away much apprieciated.
thanks
Old 12-07-09, 09:54 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhenderson2
i assume there is no way of checking the alternator,there is a belt whine could it be the alternator is set up wrongly..
thanks massively for the help anyone else with ideas fire away much apprieciated.
thanks
The alternator is very easy to check if you have a basic multimeter - even a 3 Maplin one.

Just put the meter acros the battey, with engine off... note voltage - should be tested afte rthe car has sat for a wee while.

Then, start car, and note voltage over battery. It should be 13.6+ depending on the state of the bvattery and revs.

David
BestGear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-09, 10:04 PM   #7

thats great will pick one up tommorow and give that a try,thats great info thanks
i assume if its below 13.6+ then the aternator is at fault or te battery is that right in thinking?
Old 13-07-09, 01:29 PM   #8

this wil be the diesel hand primer none return valve letting fuel drain back to the tank over time peugeot only mate, not that exspensive though and very common.....
just had this great reply from a peugeot ex tecnician with 15 years experience so anyone know anything about this fault had experienced the same problems,where on the engine its found how much it is likely to cost to repair.
any info will be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.