Peugeot Forums banner

Airbag ECU fault?

71K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  Dave 41 
#1 ·
Hi, hope you can help.
The car is 307 1.4 hdi.
I have a message Airbag fault every time I start the car. Today I had it connected via PP2000 and there is a lot of fault pointing to Airbag ECU.
All start with Airbag ECU.

-Intermittent fault. Level of driver module trigger 1. Short circuit.
-Intermittent fault. Control unit.
-Intermittent fault. Level of passenger module trigger 1. Short circuit.
-Intermittent fault. Seat belt trigger (left) short circuit.
-Intermittent fault. Seat belt trigger (right) short circuit.
-Intermittent fault. Configuration error.
-Intermittent fault. Driver's module trigger - Level 2. Short circuit.
-Intermittent fault. Passenger's module trigger - Level 2. Short circuit.
-Intermittent fault. Left air bag and left curtain air bag in production. Short circuit.
-Intermittent fault. Right air bag and right curtain air bag in production. Short circuit.

The faults won't clear.
Car starts and drives ok, no signs of airbags deployment.
Is it faulty Airbag ECU, bad connection or :confused:?
Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
I have similar issue's can anyone clarify what this means!

Airbag: permanent fault trigger 1 - open curcuit
Airbag: permanent fault trigger 2 - open curcuit

ABS: intermitent fault - main relay or solonoid valve fault - RR Coherence

I had my codes read by a local forum member (paddy69) and the above errors were found, I wont be doing the work myself and would like to be sure I tell my mechanic to look in the right place.

The airbag faults I think relate the both connectors under the drivers seat? is this the location of trigger 1 and trigger 2?

The ABS fault if I understand it right relates to the right rear brake (RR) and should be as easy as cleaning up the breaks on this side? also I think the hand break cable needs replacing as the breaks are binding on the right rear (could this be the cause of the intermitent fault)

sorry if I have hijacked this thread but I didnt know where to post.

car details: 2002 307 HDi 90 BHP 5 door

#4 ·
As they are short circuits I should imagine its the airbag ecu but wiring should be checked out first. Isolate/disconnect the airbags then carry out wiring checks
DO NOT USE A MULTIMETER ON ANY AIRBAG OR CIRCUIT WHERE THE AIRBAG IS CONNECTED

BUZZARD- You need the Comms unit replacing and where the wheel speed sensor is fixed to the hub chip away the rust behind it in the groove and I mean all the rust in the groove and clean up with emery cloth. You may get away with refitting the old sensor

#5 ·
you haven't spilt any fluids down around the centre console gear stick / cup holder area ?
airbag ecu is under their.

bit strange its all of a sudden recorded all those faults especially these:
-Intermittent fault. Control unit.
-Intermittent fault. Configuration error
sounds like ecu to me,

#6 ·
Thanks MadV for the advice on cleaning the breaks/rust, as it happens...the guy who sold it to me knew the fault was with the RR abs sensor so I bought one and had my mechanic fit it, I am going to ask him to check it over making sure to clear the grooved area.
After reading some of the posts on here I thought the comms unit would need replacing but it passed planets diagnostics and only reported faults on trigger 1 and trigger 2.
I have no understanding of technical issues regarding ECU's but as my faults say "driver" and mzprx111's post states "passenger" isnt it then fair to think the fault relates to the drivers seat? Im sure ive seen threads about Airbag lights being on because of something to do with the wires under the drivers seat? You may well be right and I will change it if I need to but I just wondered why you think its the comms unit at fault?

#7 ·
I recently had a lot of trouble getting my airbag light to go out. I had a mechanic check the fault codes with his diagnostic code reader. It gave the faults Driver's module open circuit and Seat trigger right hand open circuit.
The Driver's module was the comm2000 unit, and the seat trigger turned out to be the drivers seat belt. It checked out the same with a multimeter as the passenger's seat belt, but when I put a 2.2 ohm resister in the plug on the driver's side, the light went out. :)

#8 ·
PP2000 gave faults as "driver module - triggers 1 & 2 - open circuit"

After a few phone calls to Peugeot I was told that these faults may be due to the comms unit but will most probably be the connection under the drivers seat. In order to be sure he wanted £65+vat to run diagnostics. Before contacting Peugeot I had a forum member run diagnostics using PP2000, this checked the comms unit returning with no errors, it was this that lead me to think perhaps the fault lies in the connections under the drivers seat. Before going any further I thought I'd take the car to another friends garage and let him run diagnostics using his snap'on scanner and this returned faults P11801 and P11802. I do not know where he found what those fault means but according to him the fault IS with the comms unit... At this point it feels like im going round in circles and getting no where so Ive booked the car in at my local garage and asked them to check the wires under the seat and then turn his attention to the comms unit and see what he comes up with.

So at the end of all this....all i have managed to work out is that the "driver module" appears to mean the "comms unit" and probably has nothing to do with the seat!?

Can anyone confirm IF the "drivers module" and the codes P11801 and P11802 relate to the same area....the comms unit?

#14 ·
ive been hitting the phone all day trying to find one....every scappy wants an arm and a leg for them and thats IF they have one. I havnt found one yet under £80 so it looks like its one of those times when they know you have no choice so up goes the price. I didnt buy the one at £80 as I didnt know if it would be right for my car as the one on offer has cruise control.

#15 ·
Me too

I have a problem with my ABS too.
Intermittent fault. Level of driver module trigger 1. Open Circuit.

I have read various thoughts on this from... wires under the seat to wires at the rear of the Comms unit, to faulty comms unit.
All seems a bit hit and miss in finding the fault.
Anyone got any good ideas for finding a fault here.

#16 · (Edited)
when I had my problems with the ABS I made a thread giving a step by step guide with pics on how to fix, admin kindly made it a sticky :)

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/electrical-54/how-fix-abs-fault-24260/

I also had errors with trigger 1 and trigger 2:
ABS fault and the trigger faults turned out to be separate issues:

ABS is a sensor issue usually on the rear breaks....
trigger 1 - 2 faults related to the coms unit.... (I had airbag light on)

I know there are a few different ideas such as wires under the seat like you have already said but thanks to these guys on here I took the plunge and went with the common thought that it is nearly always.....the coms unit....guess what? I changed that and poof went the dashboard lights :)

give "bettyswollocks" a shout...with a few details on your car he can tell you just about anything you wanna know right down to which little French man built it.... well almost ;)

#18 ·
if your airbag light is on id put money on the fault being within the coms unit.... when I did mine I was told the same thing (change coms) but couldn't find anything that related to trigger 1 or 2 so wasn't sure and didn't want to go chucking money at a coms unit IF it wasn't definitely the cause! With no definitive answer and no other way to remove the dash-light I decided to take the plunge and go for the coms unit anyway based on the volume of people saying the same thing....coms....coms....coms.... regardless of little info on trigger 1 or 2 the guys on here were correct in pointing me in the right direction.....coms unit!
With no other course of action may as well give it a go...even If it isn't the coms (I'm confidant it will be...) it is worth the price of a second hand unit even if it just rules that out as the cause! Getting the correct unit for your car can be a little tricky so giving a few details to the right people on here will point you in the right direction. I'd ask bettyswollocks for help on this part :)

This post has been deleted
#26 ·
My gf has a 206 1.1 which we bought late last year. It had the floppy indicator stalk which i replaced the plastic plunger and that fixed that, although after putting it all back together the air bag light came on permanently. I made sure the centre boss didn't move whilst doing the fix and did the BSI shutdown and battery removal okay.

After multiple checks on connections on the airbag and under the steering wheel and diagnostics checks, it comes back with drivers side airbag igniter circuit open.

Now last week, i looked at the connections underneath the column and the yellow pair of wires, which i guess are the airbag signal wires, there was a metal spring that fell out of the connector block, i slipped it back in and pushed the connector home but still the air bag light won't go out.

Any ideas what it could be? or just a new comms unit?

it's really hard to have a look at the car for any real length of time because i live 210 miles away and only see her every other weekend.

thanks

#27 ·
If you want a new one Carparts4less are quite cheap you can put in your reg no and it will list all compatible units choice the spec you want in description. I did that for my dads 307sw which we added trip computer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.