Hard Brake Pedal - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 107
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-13, 10:05 AM   #1

Default Hard Brake Pedal

Last night when driving home - my brake pedal felt weird, it was just rock hard, and I felt I had to press pedal down further to get the brakes to respond (although not major)

When I got home, I turned the car off - pumped the brake pedal and it became rock hard - turned the car on and it was fine - also fine this morning...

Any ideas what this could be ?
kingrollo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-13, 01:35 PM   #2

I had a similar issue on my 306 last week - brake pedal went hard after a couple of uses in quick succession. Left it a few seconds and all is well again.

I had a split in my brake vacuum pipes and the one way valve on the servo was sticking.
Old 07-02-13, 01:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
I had a similar issue on my 306 last week - brake pedal went hard after a couple of uses in quick succession. Left it a few seconds and all is well again.

I had a split in my brake vacuum pipes and the one way valve on the servo was sticking.
Were you able to fix it yourself ?

How much do think it would be for a garage to repair......

Is it dangerous if left ?
Old 08-02-13, 06:41 AM   #4

Amy braking fault has the potential to be dangerous.

With Gibbo, sounds servo or check-valve related to me. Less likely to be the vacuum hose on hear as they're moulded polyurethane instead of rubber.
Old 08-02-13, 07:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrollo View Post
Were you able to fix it yourself ?

How much do think it would be for a garage to repair......

Is it dangerous if left ?
Yes, but its a fiddly job if you have sausage fingers! I bought new pipes and one way valve from Peugeot and a brake cylinder repair kit to be on the safe side while I'm working in that area.

It should only take a couple of hour labour at a garage, the valve worked out about 22, I can't remember the pipe prices.

Never skimp on brake repairs, but do a visual inspection yourself first. I'm only going on my experience from the 306, the 307 is a different car after all, and common issues on the previous model are generally improved and rectified on the next.
Old 08-02-13, 04:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Yes, but its a fiddly job if you have sausage fingers! I bought new pipes and one way valve from Peugeot and a brake cylinder repair kit to be on the safe side while I'm working in that area.

It should only take a couple of hour labour at a garage, the valve worked out about 22, I can't remember the pipe prices.

Never skimp on brake repairs, but do a visual inspection yourself first. I'm only going on my experience from the 306, the 307 is a different car after all, and common issues on the previous model are generally improved and rectified on the next.
I will have to get it to a garage then - what I am keen to avoid is a trial and error replacement - "its your pads" "oh its the pump" - "its the cylinder" ! - Is this easy to diagnose ?
Old 08-02-13, 05:43 PM   #7

It's pretty easy to figure out. Brakes are simple really.
Old 08-02-13, 05:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper1192 View Post
It's pretty easy to figure out. Brakes are simple really.
Thanks chopper, (and for all your other answers)

I am guess the worst case scenario is an ABS pump (90 ?) and 3 hours labor ?
Old 08-02-13, 06:08 PM   #9

Extreme unlikely a pump problem would cause those symptoms. ABS related failures are fortunately extremely rare on the 107.
Old 21-02-13, 03:22 PM   #10

ok took it to the garage - explained the problem....the verdict ?

corroded brake discs

I wasn't convinced and I said the brake discs wouldn't come into play until the brake pads were hitting the disc - my problem was the the lack of assistance as I put my foot on the brake.

Head bloke called me back - and said normally he would agree with me - that discs wouldn't cause this type of problem - but the discs were worn so un evenley that a lip had formed on the disc which could give the sensation i described.

My own take is that the discs may well be corroded - but I can't beleive this causes the very intermittent lack of brake assistance that I get. I didn't have the work done.

Any ideas on how best to proceed ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.